Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ad-blocking

Do you ad-block NSC?

• No, I don't ad block any sites

Votes: 146 56.2%
  • No, I ad block some sites but have white-listed NSC

Votes: 56 21.5%
  • Yes, I ad block NSC and if you blocked me from the site I wouldn't visit any more

Votes: 25 9.6%
  • Yes, I ad block NSC and if you blocked me from the site I would white-list NSC

Votes: 22 8.5%
  • Yes, I ad block NSC and if you blocked me from the site I would pay a small fee to go ad-free

Votes: 11 4.2%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So you get none of the ad revenue from Tapatalk? If so, I can understand where you're coming from.

Without digging back through records, Tapatalk ad revenue is c$50 ($ not £) a month.

It's the lack of control...

- They can flood NSC within Tapatalk with ads - there's nothing I can do about it.
- Their adverts seem to be very "low quality" - at least the ones I seem to get.
- All images uploaded to NSC via Tapatalk are hosted by Tapatalk, not on NSC itself. So they could take those away at any time.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I admit to adblocking all sites, particularly here in Spain as the adverts, and quantities of them, seem worse than the UK. However in my defence I always use the Amazon link from NSC when purchasing items to be sent here, or delivered to the UK. Does this compensate? I don't know but must help a little.

I remember a discussion on this some years back, it centred around paying a small monthly fee for the service, for service it is - and a bl***y good one too. So if it comes to that option it's the path I will tread.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I run No Script on Firefox at home but do not have adblocker at work. I notice that when at work I have the banner ad at the top of the page (currently Harry's, they're wasting their money on me as I already subscribe to them :)) and at home with NSC allowed full access to run scripts I don't but have two at the bottom of the page.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Could you add the following to the poll - "I've no idea what the f**K I'm doing IT wise anyway, so have no idea whether I ad block or not"!!!

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I understand the cash flow to NSC and I love this board. On the other hand I cannot stand adverts, intrusive, depressing and annoying. Especially employing tactics to avoid you turning them off, Sorry, I am going to be straight. Advert workers should be shot.

Agree. I use AdBlock on all websites, until ads can keep to themselves it'll stay that way. I've sacked off a few websites for blocking people using adblock.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Agree. I use AdBlock on all websites, until ads can keep to themselves it'll stay that way. I've sacked off a few websites for blocking people using adblock.

How will you know if you're blocking all sites by default?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
:facepalm: forgive my ignorance but , :blush: , i use chrome, how do i "whitelist" nsc? ???

If you're not running an ad-blocker, you don't need to. Do you see an ad banner at the top of NSC?

If you're running an ad-blocker, then there'll likely be an icon/control in the menu bar of your browser. Click that and look for whitelisting/disabling or making an exception.

Rock Lobster

Dec 2, 2010
Hastings
I'm so used to having adblocker running, I don't really think about it to be honest.
I've just whitelisted NSC, every little helps...

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
I adblock all sites. That said, I visited NSC on this occasion to visit the link to spend on Amazon on your signature, so it's all swings and roundabouts.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
If you're not running an ad-blocker, you don't need to. Do you see an ad banner at the top of NSC?

If you're running an ad-blocker, then there'll likely be an icon/control in the menu bar of your browser. Click that and look for whitelisting/disabling or making an exception.

done :thumbsup: only 15 mins! :rolleyes: hiding in my AV :lolol:

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
Not intentionally, but I do block 3rd-party javascript (NoScript Firefox plugin) and that seems to be suppressing the ads. I try to remember to use the Amazon affiliate link but as NSC's affiliate fee probably doesn't make up for the tax they're dodging on my orders I don't shop there often.

I'd pay a modest fee for ad-free NSC, or use a second browser with unrestricted javascript to allow the ads to load.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patreon
Jul 8, 2003
Is tapatalk different iOS to Android as on the latter there seems to be more and larger annoying ads. Countless times I've hit an add while scrolling down the page as latest update lists all replies on one page so no more swiping right to next page. Definitely not as good as it was but still prefer it when on mobile. There is an option for no ads but it's 15 dollars or 5 per year but I'm too tight to pay that.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I have an ad blocker for all sites, I have just added NSC to my whitelist. Sorry I hadn't before.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
As I am usually logged in automatically, the only ads displayed are banner ads at the top and bottom of the page, which I do not even notice anymore. Occasionally if I run a "clean up my pc" app on my pc, my stored log ins are removed and I will come on the site and forget to log in, and then the ads are much more noticeable, and occasionally intrusive as has been said many times in the thread. However the answer is to simply log back in and no problem.
I am more than happy with the level of ads on NSC when logged in, and I would have thought any frequent visitor to the site that has signed up would not find the banners at top and bottom of the page intrusive.
As a comparison , The Argus over the past couple of years has become almost unusable, and from being a daily visitor I now very rarely go on it, as in my opinion the ads make the drivel they publish almost impossible to view,
We are lucky to have NSC run the way it is, and like others I do try to remember to use the amazon link (especially at Christmas) to help boost finance to the site

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here