Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ad-blocking

Do you ad-block NSC?

• No, I don't ad block any sites

Votes: 146 56.2%
  • No, I ad block some sites but have white-listed NSC

Votes: 56 21.5%
  • Yes, I ad block NSC and if you blocked me from the site I wouldn't visit any more

Votes: 25 9.6%
  • Yes, I ad block NSC and if you blocked me from the site I would white-list NSC

Votes: 22 8.5%
  • Yes, I ad block NSC and if you blocked me from the site I would pay a small fee to go ad-free

Votes: 11 4.2%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Perfect.

I thought it was just my computer, being slow at loading the page etc and was just 'learning to live with it' although last night it was getting very irritating.

Cheers :thumbsup:

It's not you, it's me (being a ****).

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
It's not you, it's me (being a ****).

I have always used a Adblock on all sites I visit.

But if this site is suffering from funds I would happily pay say a tenner a year etc.

I’m sure many members who have been here from the start ie the old site would happily contribute.

By creating this thread surely your encouraging more to add a Adblock?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I like how The Argus puts a banner at the bottom of the page telling you to stop using an Ad Blocker. I'm not sure they realise that's FAR less annoying than all the ads on their website.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I block ads from all sites on my PC as I can't stand them, for reasons already mentioned. AdBlocks also do a very good job of reducing loading times, which makes them even more appealing. It's not NSC, but I used to visit The Argus website daily - but stopped a few years ago because of their intrusive advertisements and autoplay videos - it's crap even with AdBlock. A lot of others have mentioned the same.

I don't have any AdBlock on my mobile, so the ads can be pretty annoying on there - like full page adverts and content loading before ads making you click on the wrong link (which I've been experiencing for a long time) - but you say these are resolved now. The TapaTalk ad is annoying too. However, a new issue has arisen in the last few days where if you are not logged in, ads appear on the 10th post. However, they are integrated into the code incorrectly so that the post is in line with the ad. This is fine for PCs, but for mobiles it causes the text to be displayed incorrectly. If someone uses the quote function in post 10, it's even worse.

Screenshot_20171002-233408.png
Screenshot_20171002-233520.png

I do use the Amazon link sometimes - so that may be enough. How much money does NSC need?

I would recommend against any sort of forced-whitelisting or big notification banner, as you'll lose visits (I think you should try and keep NSC as busy as possible). You should be able to get the money you need through other avenues. You could even place a 'donate' button on the site - which would probably bring in a decent amount.

Last edited:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Am I the only person that paid a small fee to Tapatalk to remove all adverts? I don't ever see any adverts, and I don't use an ad blocker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
No idea how to and can't be bothered. Don't think ever notice them unless there is a thread asking about them. If they're not noisy and don't block what I'm looking at I don't care....... if they do then I never, ever visit that site again.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
For market research purposes, I will be honest with this.

I ad-block all sites, including NSC, on my PC. I do not ad-block on my phone, but find the ads on here (and everywhere else) incredibly intrusive, so I'm considering an ad-block on my device too, once I find the time to look into it.

I would not consider paying a small fee as I don't use the site enough to justify it, nor would I white list after risk of ban for these reasons. I may consider white listing if ads were less intrusive.

If the site is struggling to make ends meet, then I suggest a reward/perk based subscription. Certain perks for avid users who are willing/able to donate to the community.

Pay per post?

BG would be skint!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Am I the only person that paid a small fee to Tapatalk to remove all adverts? I don't ever see any adverts, and I don't use an ad blocker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No. I don't see any ads on Tapatalk either.

I do find it frustrating how so many people expect Bozza to provide this service for free whilst refusing to view the adverts that allow him to do so. Very selfish.

When I view on a PC, I never ad block. I can't say I find them a big issue to ignore on most other sites, either -apart from the Argus. Perhaps it's just the sort of sites I visit :shrug:

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Put nsc on whitelist when you last asked. Can't say I notice the ad's apart from the spooky times they ad what I've just looked at-Ok understand it now but was a bit spooky first time. But agree the ads are more of a pain on my phone (tried Tapatalk but don't like it).

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I don’t ad block any sites but if they’re too annoying then I just come off the page.

D

Deleted member 22389

NSC loses a fair chunk of income through ad-blocking.

Do you do it?

I keep the Ads on, but it ruins my experience. Happy to pay a fee to get rid of the damn things.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
NSC doesn't have an ad blocking option, browsers add-ons can be installed that do it for you.

Haha, I see. Although I did mean as an answer to the poll.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I can see ads on my iPhone 7 Plus but not on my iPad Pro. Why would that happen? I haven’t knowingly installed an ad blocker. NSC keeps freezing on my iPad as well��

Worked it out. I have an adblocker on my laptop and this has, somehow transferred to my iPad, but not my iPhone. Now white listed NSC

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I am not seeing any ads... using Chrome and have checked for any extensions that might be blocking them.

Any thoughts?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I have been using Ad-Blocker for god knows how long. If it stops revenue for NSC, then would be happy to whitelist, but ads are fricking irritating.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I don't use adblocker. Theres no point; I can't imagine that any logged in user would find the ads on NSC intrusive - and I always use the amazon link.

I won't be paying an annual (or whatever) fee to use NSC though if that's the plan.

Anyway I thought NSC was rolling in dough. Was I mistaken in my impression that NSC towers looked a bit like Scrooge McDucks vault.

scrooge_mcduck-e1334907919275.jpeg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don’t ad block, but would gladly pay a fee to get rid of them

I'm the exact opposite! I don't mind the ads, they're not intrusive and I'd MUCH rather have ads than pay a fee.

EDIT: As another poster has said, if you want intrusive, annoying adverts then visit the Argus site. I found that all but unusable and the self-playing videos are truly evil. I'm banned now anyway, so I don't bother anymore.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here