Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ad-blocking

Do you ad-block NSC?

• No, I don't ad block any sites

Votes: 146 56.2%
  • No, I ad block some sites but have white-listed NSC

Votes: 56 21.5%
  • Yes, I ad block NSC and if you blocked me from the site I wouldn't visit any more

Votes: 25 9.6%
  • Yes, I ad block NSC and if you blocked me from the site I would white-list NSC

Votes: 22 8.5%
  • Yes, I ad block NSC and if you blocked me from the site I would pay a small fee to go ad-free

Votes: 11 4.2%

• Total voters

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't ad block on NSC. Keep it free and put up with a few rubbish ads. Seems like a good trade to me!

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Far as I’m aware I’ve never ad blocked and get ads here.

The Argus site I get them AND a message saying I should turn off my add blocker!

Both via my iPhone8+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I dunno what you guys are using for browsers/OS but I turned ad blockers off ages ago and now just get the little banners at the top/bottom whenever I'm logged in.

:shrug:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Galilean_moon_Laplace_resonance_animation.gif

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I've posted often enough about this, very possibly on this thread - I can't be arsed to look.

I use NSC the same as everyone else who is logged in. I have the same ad units (maybe not always the same ads due to user targeting). I'd never intentionally make NSC so that it is a horrible experience - that doesn't suit anyone. Occasionally bad ads can make their way into ad networks and I'll always do my best to remove those as quickly as possible.

However, in the same way users are free to use ad blockers, site owners are free to not serve content to those who use ad blockers. Many sites do already I believe. Those who use ad blockers can't get "bitchy" about that.

I think there's a big difference between NSC and other sites that block those that use ad blockers - on NSC the content is provided, for free, by the users.

On mobile, when not logged in, NSC is a "horrible experience". When logged in, it's not far off.

I think you should seriously consider just paying someone to create a custom theme that is the same for all users, but responds differently depending on the device (screen size, mobile). It would save you a lot of time and hassle. The ads have become very annoying because they are integrated into the site very poorly - a custom theme can resolve this. It would probably cost a few hundred pounds. Surely NSC can afford it with all the advert that are now present! If not, you could easily raise the funds from donations from the community. It would be better for everyone!

As for the database errors, I have seen this on NSC in the past - but not for years probably. It has occurred previously during busy periods. It won't leave any logs because it's not an error as such, it's just vBulletin reporting that it can't connect to the database. If the server is managed, which I assume it is, your provider should be troubleshooting this for you and fixing it. If they aren't or won't, I would seriously consider moving to a new provider.

More info here: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/cantconnect

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Know nothing about much of this but ads keep trying to take over my NSC Bozza. O2/Telefonica just now being the latest.

Please stop them or am I meant to install Ad blocker?!!

Last edited:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I think there's a big difference between NSC and other sites that block those that use ad blockers - on NSC the content is provided, for free, by the users.

On mobile, when not logged in, NSC is a "horrible experience". When logged in, it's not far off.

I think you should seriously consider just paying someone to create a custom theme that is the same for all users, but responds differently depending on the device (screen size, mobile). It would save you a lot of time and hassle. The ads have become very annoying because they are integrated into the site very poorly - a custom theme can resolve this. It would probably cost a few hundred pounds. Surely NSC can afford it with all the advert that are now present! If not, you could easily raise the funds from donations from the community. It would be better for everyone!

As for the database errors, I have seen this on NSC in the past - but not for years probably. It has occurred previously during busy periods. It won't leave any logs because it's not an error as such, it's just vBulletin reporting that it can't connect to the database. If the server is managed, which I assume it is, your provider should be troubleshooting this for you and fixing it. If they aren't or won't, I would seriously consider moving to a new provider.

More info here: https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/cantconnect

with respect most of that is total bollox particularly the link regarding socket binding/port listening

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
with respect most of that is total bollox particularly the link regarding socket binding/port listening

Care to elaborate? You're not providing much contribution with 'that is total bollox' (which doesn't show much respect). I made several points in that post, in the interests of providing a better NSC experience for everyone, which I think will help keep the site as busy as possible in the long run.

As for the database errors, I posted pretty much the same thing in another thread, which you 'liked'. It appears the issue was caused by too many notifications being added to the database, which Bozza was able to figure out with the help of the host (so well done them).

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Care to elaborate? You're not providing much contribution with 'that is total bollox' (which doesn't show much respect). I made several points in that post, in the interests of providing a better NSC experience for everyone, which I think will help keep the site as busy as possible in the long run.

As for the database errors, I posted pretty much the same thing in another thread, which you 'liked'. It appears the issue was caused by too many notifications being added to the database, which Bozza was able to figure out with the help of the host (so well done them).

ok apologies maybe a bit harsh of me, but socket/port issues which is a far cry from timeouts due to a long running query

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've got used to these ads in threads now, and they're pretty unobtrusive. HOWEVER, I've just experienced one which showed a full screen video as soon as the mouse pointer went over it. @Bozza I assume these are slipping through the net?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've got used to these ads in threads now, and they're pretty unobtrusive. HOWEVER, I've just experienced one which showed a full screen video as soon as the mouse pointer went over it. @Bozza I assume these are slipping through the net?

Yeah, that one opened up in a new window for me on my phone's browser. Pretty annoying!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here