Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ad-blocking

Do you ad-block NSC?

• No, I don't ad block any sites

Votes: 146 56.2%
  • No, I ad block some sites but have white-listed NSC

Votes: 56 21.5%
  • Yes, I ad block NSC and if you blocked me from the site I wouldn't visit any more

Votes: 25 9.6%
  • Yes, I ad block NSC and if you blocked me from the site I would white-list NSC

Votes: 22 8.5%
  • Yes, I ad block NSC and if you blocked me from the site I would pay a small fee to go ad-free

Votes: 11 4.2%

• Total voters

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Your tolerance must be very low if you’re talking about your experience as a logged in user.

I use NSC more than most people and have the exact same view as any other of NSC’s thousands of members. And there’s absolutely no pain at all.

Tolerance level is very good Bozza.
Its just the ads I find annoying, not just on here, in general, probably me a grumpy old fart.
Sorry :)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Diesel ad that's currently running below 'quick reply' does interfere with NSC as it drags the page down and holds it there.

For me you can now add Jacamo and HMV to Diesel on the 'makes NSC unusable' list. They keep dragging me down to the bottom of the page and I keep clicking on them so I hope it's costing them money.

EDIT: I notice someone else has also had it and has started a new thread.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Your tolerance must be very low if you’re talking about your experience as a logged in user.

I use NSC more than most people and have the exact same view as any other of NSC’s thousands of members. And there’s absolutely no pain at all.

So you check it on all devices, all operating systems, differing screen resolutions, different browsers, and they all act the same?

Dec 29, 2011
You will be when you can't view NSC any more.

Don't get power hungry, you sound like a dictator. People are free to use ad-blockers if they like, they're still adding to the value of the site, moreso than it costs to run. A more active forum gets other members to post, and some of those will view ads. Putting annoying ads on the site then slowing down people (miserable user extension) who block them is about as bitchy as it gets.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Don't get power hungry, you sound like a dictator. People are free to use ad-blockers if they like, they're still adding to the value of the site, moreso than it costs to run. A more active forum gets other members to post, and some of those will view ads. Putting annoying ads on the site then slowing down people (miserable user extension) who block them is about as bitchy as it gets.

I've posted often enough about this, very possibly on this thread - I can't be arsed to look.

I use NSC the same as everyone else who is logged in. I have the same ad units (maybe not always the same ads due to user targeting). I'd never intentionally make NSC so that it is a horrible experience - that doesn't suit anyone. Occasionally bad ads can make their way into ad networks and I'll always do my best to remove those as quickly as possible.

However, in the same way users are free to use ad blockers, site owners are free to not serve content to those who use ad blockers. Many sites do already I believe. Those who use ad blockers can't get "bitchy" about that.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I've posted often enough about this, very possibly on this thread - I can't be arsed to look.

I use NSC the same as everyone else who is logged in. I have the same ad units (maybe not always the same ads due to user targeting). I'd never intentionally make NSC so that it is a horrible experience - that doesn't suit anyone. Occasionally bad ads can make their way into ad networks and I'll always do my best to remove those as quickly as possible.

However, in the same way users are free to use ad blockers, site owners are free to not serve content to those who use ad blockers. Many sites do already I believe. Those who use ad blockers can't get "bitchy" about that.

If I remember rightly, please correct me if I'm wrong, you said NSC is run by the money made from online commercials/ads? This was probably a couple of years back, you may have said it before and since. However, if it was running ok a couple of years ago without the amount of in your face ads as there are today and yet still making enough for running costs, why bombard the site now?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If I remember rightly, please correct me if I'm wrong, you said NSC is run by the money made from online commercials/ads? This was probably a couple of years back, you may have said it before and since. However, if it was running ok a couple of years ago without the amount of in your face ads as there are today and yet still making enough for running costs, why bombard the site now?

How is one small ad at the top of a page, one at the bottom and one appearing as a post in a thread 'bombarding' ?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
How is one small ad at the top of a page, one at the bottom and one appearing as a post in a thread 'bombarding' ?

Why was I getting a full pop up ad when signed in last week when I scrolled down then up again? There are some very strange unanswered questions here, just read through this thread and the other one lingering around at the moment. Perhaps the purveyor of these ads has gone slightly above his head and needs to reign it in and start again?

The site has become fairly unusable now sadly.

Database errors all the time,
Full page ads, even when logged in,
Page jumping constantly to the bottom ad.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Too much going on in the background slowing up the server/database perhaps?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I mostly view NSC at work, and it has the ads blocked. I have no influence on our IT dept though. Nothing to do with me guv.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why was I getting a full pop up ad when signed in last week when I scrolled down then up again? There are some very strange unanswered questions here, just read through this thread and the other one lingering around at the moment. Perhaps the purveyor of these ads has gone slightly above his head and needs to reign it in and start again?

I answer each and every question I see. I may miss some but I'll not swerve them on purpose.

There has NEVER been ad code applied to NSC that would result in a pop up or pop under. Again, some ads may misbehave occasionally and I'll do all I can to remove them as quickly as I can as soon as I know about them.

The current 'native' ads I'm trialling have resulted in a full-page takeover (note: not pop up) for me, I'd guess, 3 or 4 times. I'd put that down to something I'd done as a user on the page when it happened. Given how much I use NSC, it's just on the side of "unintrusive" for me, but if it happens much more they'll be binned.

The database stuff is utterly shit and I'll admit to not having a clue why it's happening. That's partly because I'm too busy working right now to be able to devote much time to it and partly because it's not causing any logs to be created which would make remediation significantly easier. I've never seen this before in 17 years or so of looking after NSC.

The ad stuff is in hand as discussed elsewhere.

Too much going on in the background slowing up the server/database perhaps?

Nope. Ads cause absolutely no strain on NSC's resources at all. The connection is between the end user's browser and the ad server, wherever in the world that is.

I mostly view NSC at work, and it has the ads blocked. I have no influence on our IT dept though. Nothing to do with me guv.

Noted.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The new Sam Smith Album cover ad looks like Muzza just about to take a penalty

sam-3.jpg

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I turned ad block off to support the site but turned it back on as the advertisements made reading this site unbearable. If you can remove the advertisements which make your page jump automatically to the bottom of the page, I will turn it back off.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What people need to do is note the adverts that are shite and feed back to the companies that they are displeased with them, throw in a boycott threat etc. they dont know that people dont like the advert because they either see a page impression or nothing if you block. most news websites out there are now hideous and unusable with all the ads, popups, videos etc, that waste bandwidth and irritate users. i dont see the advert, i see an obstruction. a simple banner or tower ad is fine, i will even click on and look at if i'm interested.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here