U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Dreadful news to wake up to.

R.I.P.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Terrible what a shame, RIP. There's a hell of a band up there now, something to look forward to

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Was lucky enough to see him supporting Nils Lofgren at the Odeon in 77 and then on Dylan's "Temples in Flames" tour at Wembley in 87 when he and the Heartbreakers acted as backing band for Roger McGuinn and Dylan as well as doing their own set. Phenomenal gig.
RIP Tom and thanks.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It seems trite to be upset by the death of a musician on the same day that at over 50 people died in Vegas, but nonetheless I am.

Tom Petty not only a great musician but an early fighter for artists rights, so glad I finally got to see him at Hyde Park earlier this year where he just flipping nailed it.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Love his music but never saw him live.

Learning to Fly is probably my favourite of his, but he's done so many good songs it's hard to choose.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Wow, still only 66. RIP Tom

When I was 18 I travelled across Africa, seven months from top to bottom in an old bedford truck and Full Moon Fever was part of the soundtrack for this trip, great memories of cruising through the dusty savannahs of Senegal and Mali, rolling joints as Free Fallin' and Runnin' down a Dream were playing. Ah that was good, Tom Petty to Fleetwood Mac to Pink Floyd, perfect days

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Forgot to do something important at work 15 years ago. Got home and had to drive a hundred mile round trip back there again. I have fond memories of this frustrating drive on a Friday evening because the sun was shining and I was listening to Tom Petty's greatest hits for the first time.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kjw9WMNDWA

I'm pretty stunned by this news. I have been waiting weeks to get the Tom Petty produced new Chris Hillman album, 'Bidin' my Time. Came out on Friday and by all accounts, would not have happened but for TP. It's a gorgeous slice of music from start to finish and the final track is this sweet rendition of the title track from Tom's second album. Never saw him live, but a staple of my gym soundtrack. RIP Tom and thank you for the music.

Jul 7, 2003
Sky Arts are repeating his Gainsville show tonight.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Quiet evening in watching the Gatorville 2006 show on YouTube
Fantastic.
Love his music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here