Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apparently we are staying up

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
We are not parking the bus, merely setting up to deliver the best statistical chance of getting a point or points. The only way of us beating Arsenal would be to limit them to few chances and have a lot of luck (in the form of them missing those chances) and maybe us sneaking goals on the few chances that do present themselves. I'm right behind CH on this - I think he's got it bang on, and occasionally, it will deliver points against top sides. Most of the time it won't and that's just they way it is.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I hope Palace win before we play them! I can only imagine the horror if their 1st point(s) are against us. Knowing our luck they'll have Loftus-Cheek, Scott Dann, Benteke, Wickham, Tomkins, Fosu-Mensah and Zaha all back from injury by then, and playing out of their skins.

I agree. That would be dreadful.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We've all seen promoted sides come up, try and play lovely football, get praise from all corners for their attacking verve and for being a "Breath of Fresh Air", then get relegated with patronising "It's a shame, they tried to play football" quotes from all corners.
Agreed. Weren't Blackpool a revelation.

Get up ugly, stay up ugly, consolidate ugly, then try and mutate into a pretty football side.:thumbsup:
We didn't get up ugly, we played some great football over the last two seasons. I don't think it's realistic to play exactly the same way against Arsenal as against Rotherham.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We didn't get up ugly, we played some great football over the last two seasons. I don't think it's realistic to play exactly the same way against Arsenal as against Rotherham.

I must disagree as we got promoted on our ability to turn defence into attack and catch teams on the breakaway and Arsenal were, during George Grahams days, known for their defensive ability but not so now so had we tried to break quicker we may have had more success, but we didnt try to break quickly.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I am not but the players to me appear to think that they have no right to be in this league. CH is getting slated by many for our negative defensive attitude but I wonder if it is him or the players are in awe of their position and status and need to realise that they are in this league on merit. I have said many times that I believe that we set up against Arsenal too deep and should have been 10 yds further up the pitch and listening to CH interview after the game I am sure that he thought the same and was disappointed that the players didnt do it.

Its interesting that you say you think CH is getting slated. I haven't heard anyone other than a handful of Albion fans say anything about us being negative. I think we've done a pretty good job so far, pretty much on par with where I thought we would be. Not sure we could really have expected much more. Maybe 2 more points at Watford and 1 at Bournemouth, so possibly 3 points behind. Thats not too bad in my opinion.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Another article on the three promoted sides.

http://www.felixmagazine.com/football-league-new-boys/

Wagner has pledged to play free-flowing attacking football, which will win his team lots of admirers. Those tactics are fine against small clubs like Crystal Palace, who were dispatched 3-0 on the opening day but when the big boys come calling, Huddersfield Town will need a lot more in their defensive locker.

Did El Pres write that article, or is that now the standard way of describing the worst team in Europe? :lolol: :albion2:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The season so far:

Man City we got what I expected
Leicester I expected us to be able to get a draw so 1 pt
Watford a draw as the minimum but was hoping for a win. possibly 3 points
West Brom I expected a win 3 points
AFCB again I expected a win 3 points
Newcastle a win 3 points
Arsenal a defeat with the hope of a possible draw. 1 point

So my expectation was 11 points and my hopes were for 14 points and we have 7 points so we are 4 points below my expectation at this stage of the season.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The season so far:

Newcastle a win 3 points

So my expectation was 11 points and my hopes were for 14 points and we have 7 points so we are 4 points below my expectation at this stage of the season.

I got this for you.

wp-1482841247719.png

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The season so far:

Newcastle a win 3 points

So you expected us to have lost just the once this season so far? The mind boggles

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The season so far:

Newcastle a win 3 points

hahahahahaha

:wozza:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So you expected us to have lost just the once this season so far? The mind boggles

No twice, at home to Man City and away to Arsenal but hoped to nick a draw at Arsenal the rest are teams we have to beat or at least not lose to, to expect to have a realistic chance of staying up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The season so far:

Newcastle a win 3 points

Oh my god :D We'd all have loved a six match unbeaten run after the opening game, but to have EXPECTED one is hilarious, it really is. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

On this basis your 'expectation' for the season - 2 points per game ? - is that we get 76 points. That was 4th place last season.

We're on our way, we're on our wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
To the Champions League, we're on our wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy.............................

:smokin::smokin::smokin:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Oh my god :D We'd all have loved a six match unbeaten run after the opening game, but to have EXPECTED one is hilarious, it really is. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

On this basis your 'expectation' for the season - 2 points per game ? - is that we get 76 points. That was 4th place last season.

We're on our way, we're on our wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
To the Champions League, we're on our wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy.............................

:smokin::smokin::smokin:

That doesnt follow as we have played 5 teams I would have expected to get something from and only 2 that would have been expected to beat us. We still have 4 of the expected top 6 to play so to calculate our final position based on the games so far is ludicrous.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I agree with those on here that say CH is setting us up far too negatively against the big teams. Despite being handicapped with a lack of strikers so far I think we should go all out attack like Watford did against Man City & Hudds did against Spurs! :moo:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
the rest are teams we have to beat or at least not lose to, to expect to have a realistic chance of staying up.

I'm not having a go but take another look. We need 40 points and if you go through the whole seasons fixtures we really don't need to be getting points away at Leics and B'muff. Of course it would be good to have done so but there are far more straightforward ways of getting to the magic number.

Basically we need a tad over 1 point a game so we're about on target having played 2 teams where 0 was totally expected

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
No twice, at home to Man City and away to Arsenal but hoped to nick a draw at Arsenal the rest are teams we have to beat or at least not lose to, to expect to have a realistic chance of staying up.

Oh dear I never have been BG basher but I am getting closer now after these series of posts. BG are you on a wind up?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here