Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AK quits Twitter

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
A lot of it is ignorance, perhaps education is needed from the clubs, where the fans are from?

Not sure what the clubs can do beyond wagging fingers / banning.

Besides, teaching people to be vaguely decent members of society is down to the parents and educators isn't it?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Besides, teaching people to be vaguely decent members of society is down to the parents and educators isn't it?

I agree about the teaching coming from parents etc......
But with the club's, I think they could do more.
In the case of the Albion, I know for a fact that that academy at Lancing, when the young recruits come in to the fold.
Apart from the footballing and education side of things, they do teach respect and a knowledge of that everyone is equal and positivity is a good attribute.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I think if you seek publicity by going on a public forum, then you have to expect that not everybody will be nice to you, especially if you are a well known figure, to think otherwise is naive in the extreme.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Strange how I seem to be able to lead a life without Twitter or Facebook, I've never given them a thought.
People say, oh, I only use it to communicate with relatives abroad.
I use email for that and it seems funny that whenever anyone finds out that I don't go on these things they instantly apologies for going on it themselves and grasp for reasons.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Strange how I seem to be able to lead a life without Twitter or Facebook, I've never given them a thought.
I use email for that and it seems funny that whenever anyone finds out that I don't go on these things they instantly apologies for going on it themselves and grasp for reasons.

I had both, and closed both about 9 months ago.... absolutely the best thing i have done in a long time. Next thing is to change my mobile for one that just makes calls.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Unfortunately thing like Twitter give the thick people that want to be 'Billy Big Bo**ocks' a way of acting 'tough', but from the safety of their bedroom in their mum's house. They are just inadequate at being humans.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I like using both and make no apologies for that. Like anything else, it's not the medium, but how you use it. I block or mute the inane idiots, report the illegal abusers, and generally enjoy what I do use.
I got a signed book from my favourite author on the release of her latest novel, as I answered three questions about the characters in a previous book, on Twitter.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Quitting twitter is a good move for anybody in the public eye. Even better would be not to join it in the first place...........................

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I think if you seek publicity by going on a public forum, then you have to expect that not everybody will be nice to you, especially if you are a well known figure, to think otherwise is naive in the extreme.

Agreed. I have to say I was surprised AK did the article in the Mail recently - it probably served to reinvigorate the trolls. It's his choice of course [and I respect AK immensely as a top guy and proud that he's at Brighton] and perhaps expressing himself in the article helps his grieving.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I use twitter for business have met some good people all in the same trade, don't really get why people would apologise if they enjoy using it :shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Of course if everyone who has a Twitter account were to all report the culprits there is an algorithm which automatically takes their accounts down for investigation (how they catch spam bots). Not that I'd ever actually encourage such activity, obviously. Just putting it out there.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

It is but the club are educators too and also have a duty of care to those they employ , many of whom are under 18.
They can report users to the police who will depending on the severity of the abuse caution the offender, fine them or in certain cases ; jail sentences.
As social media abuse can be against the law (libel, abuse).
see: http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/a_to_c/communications_sent_via_social_media/
They can also , which i know they already do, educate their players in all age groups , teams about the benefits and risks from having social media accounts.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Agreed. I have to say I was surprised AK did the article in the Mail recently - it probably served to reinvigorate the trolls. It's his choice of course [and I respect AK immensely as a top guy and proud that he's at Brighton] and perhaps expressing himself in the article helps his grieving.

I see under the Mail article in the comments section ..the posts were mainly positive..there was one who suggested in rather blunt terms he ‘get over it’ ..tad ironic as I am sure that’s what AK is trying to do

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here