Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goalkeepers and the forward flop

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
You know the thing. It tends to happen in the dying minutes when a team defending a lead need to waste some time. The goalkeeper catches the ball and, for no reason whatsoever, goes to ground, diving forward and staying there for as long as he can get away with it.

Maty Ryan is very good at it. In fact, I think he was doing it after about five minutes yesterday.

Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
You know the thing. It tends to happen in the dying minutes when a team defending a lead need to waste some time. The goalkeeper catches the ball and, for no reason whatsoever, goes to ground, diving forward and staying there for as long as he can get away with it.

Maty Ryan is very good at it. In fact, I think he was doing it after about five minutes yesterday.

Oh yes. Clutching the ball like it's the nuclear football. Could do with a name a la 'Goal down retriever'.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am very impressed by the way Ryan does it virtually every time irrespective of when in the game . This gives time for our defenders to move out to catch any lingering forwards offside if the ball comes back quick. He is very good at doing it.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
IMG-20170826-WA0003.jpg
for no reason whatsoever, goes to ground, diving forward and staying there for as long as he can get away with it

You mean like this :cool:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I remember, way back when, in the darkest of days under Mickey II *shudder* getting increasingly incensed, by Walsall's Clayton Ince doing this in the infamous 9-man match.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Whats the problem.

Is it any worse that Casper dropping the ball at his feet and just standing there doing nothing with the ball until the opposition decided to try and close him down.

Or for a corner the keeper just rolling the ball a few feet towards the corner flag.

Or deciding to take the goal kick from the opposite side to where the ball is.

Or the throw in taker who doesnt throw the ball in but ensures it never enters play so it has to be taken again

All just part of the game.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
The problem is that we're all being conned. I think the ball is only in play for an average of 60 minutes or so in each game so I'd rather not see any more time taken up by something that prevents this.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The problem is that we're all being conned. I think the ball is only in play for an average of 60 minutes or so in each game so I'd rather not see any more time taken up by something that prevents this.

I think that is a pathetic argument when you consider how much time the ball is out of play for normal events in a game.like feigned injuries, throw in, goal kicks etc. Had you settled on it being unsporting I think that you may had a point but your point is not really a valid point. He could use the same time with the ball at his feet waiting to kick it or until challenged.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Cech was doing the flop... and also moaning at the young ball girl behind his goal for returning the ball too quickly to him. Probably because he couldn't do the whole get a drink, kick the studs on the posts, walk across to get the ball, walk all the way over to the other side, 'apologise' to the ref, place the ball, retreat, hesitate, return to the ball, stamp on the ground to improve the placing/footing, retreat and then finally, to a crescendo of whistles from the opposing fans, kick the ball.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Should carry a 3 year jail sentence ?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I think it should outlawed, I really do. It's gamesmanship and it's ugly.
It already is outlawed. The keeper is not allowed to control the ball with his hands for more than 6 seconds. It's not the law that is the problem, it is the appetite for strict enforcement.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
I teach my young Gk's this. They maintain control of the ball and as someone said above, allows their teammates time to get into position.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here