Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Solly March and Lewis Dunk

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Dunk for me. They've both taken to the premier league really well but Dunk - possibly because defense has mostly been the order of the day - has really stood out. He's looked, confident, assured and perfectly at home in the division. I struggled to find a decent stream of the Arsenal game so ended up hopping between several. On each of them the commentator and pundits were full of praise for Dunk - for his defending, reading of the game and ability on the ball.

England doesn't have (m)any top quality centre backs so if he keeps this up he is surely in line for a call up to the squad. His competition is Cahill, Smalling, Jones, Keane, Maguire and Gibson although the latter is now in the championship so probably not a realistic option at the moment. It would be remiss of Southgate not to have a closer look at him.

March too has been excellent but faces stiffer competition in the attacking areas.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I look at defenders in the same way you do goalkeepers, in terms of performance. Is a Centre Back's job easier at Man City or Brighton, clearly the former. That said selections come from the big clubs because they are deemed to be better players or concede fewer goals. However, someone like Dunk is exposed to pressure for virtually 90 minutes week in week out, whereas at City / United / Chelsea etc you have a £200m+ strike force attacking at the other end occupying most of the oppositions midfield. I'd give the pressure players a go to be honest (no bias there of course!)

Michael Owen made a counter-argument to that yesterday by saying Lewis Dunk has the benefit of two deep full-backs and five midfielders that can also defend deep, therefore he has plenty of cover about him. He contrasted this with the defenders of "big" teams that can often find themselves isolated because of the attacking nature of their wing-backs and their propensity for getting players forward quickly.

I can see his point, although looking at how Liverpool defended Newcastle's goal yesterday I fancy Dunk would be an upgrade on what they already have.

IMHO both Dunk and March need a solid season with the Albion in the Prem. Any move now would be lucrative but premature; they need to complete their education in a nurturing, supportive environment first.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
given the dearth of talent at centre back, i'd expect it to be Dunk, but having not made impact at u-21 i expect he'll be overlooked. March will make it first, once there is a injury or two, i cant see the current players being dropped (maybe Delph, does he even play any more?)

Delph has been playing at LB in Mendy's absence. Playing rather well according to reports.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
If you'd literally never, ever, watched him play.

Ever.

Incredibly, this season I've heard numerous commentators and pundits referring to Dunk as a good, old fashioned English centre half. It seems as if they're all reeling out the same tired platitudes without actually opening their eyes.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Dunk has been immense so far

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Michael Owen made a counter-argument to that yesterday by saying Lewis Dunk has the benefit of two deep full-backs and five midfielders that can also defend deep, therefore he has plenty of cover about him. He contrasted this with the defenders of "big" teams that can often find themselves isolated because of the attacking nature of their wing-backs and their propensity for getting players forward quickly.

I can see his point, although looking at how Liverpool defended Newcastle's goal yesterday I fancy Dunk would be an upgrade on what they already have.

IMHO both Dunk and March need a solid season with the Albion in the Prem. Any move now would be lucrative but premature; they need to complete their education in a nurturing, supportive environment first.

Very interesting point. I always considered Dunk's main weakness his discipline which, as has been covered on here, has really been worked on. Owen's point is good though, the manager's system can really help a defender or do the opposite, look at Keane at Everton. He's not looked as good as he did last year, possibly because he is playing for a higher profile club but perhaps because Koeman's system isn't as good.

If Dunk keeps fit I can see him in the England setup.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Both are playing really well, makes me very proud and doesn't seem that long ago I was sat in front of Dunk's dad whilst he was playing for the reserves at Lancing, Poyet looking on. If we stay up I think at least one of them will still be with us next season, continuing their education and progression at a very well run and managed club (I hope so anyway).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I loved Dunks foul yesterday, got away without being booked then accused the Arsenal man of diving, made me chuckle.

Dunk for me has been immense and should only be time before he is considered in the England squad.

I like that you call Alexis Sanchez - one of the best players in the world - "the Arsenal man". This works SO well when taken in combo with your avatar and username.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
While enjoying the performance of March and the imoact he can have at this level, a I do wonder if he is benefiting from being an unknown quanity in the PL.
It will be interesting to see if he can continue with his current level if performance as we play teams for a 2nd time. Will the defenders know more about his moves and weaker areas and know more about how to shut him down.

If he can continue as he is now then I would exoect a call up by England after the World Cup.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Nail on head.

I said it on the Roar this week: if - IF - Dunk and/or March are to make it into the England set-up as Brighton players - one, there will need to be another England failure at a major tournament in order for the next round of players/management to have a go and two, Brighton will need to stay in the Premier League.

If those conditions are met, along with March and Dunk continuing to improve, a call-up will be a certainty - another year, I'd say. Just can't see it yet.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Of course not, Paul Merson hasn't heard of either of them.

paul-merson.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We were discussing this after the game, and the point was made that if Dunk gets a 60 second piece of analysis on MOTD from Shearer or Murphy highlighting and showcasing his positional sense, his tackling, his blocking and his hollywood range of passes, THATS going to get him into a squad. He's going to get noticed this season, no two ways about it. He's taken to the PL like a duck to water, as most of us suspected he would.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Would anyone here swap Dunk for Stones ?

Serious question. Cos I bloody wouldn't.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here