Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

24hrs of Islamist terror - France, Canada & Birmingham

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
The results of western national and multinational companies agendas in the Middle East starting with the Sykes Picot line and the disenfranchised of the Middle East plus the Shia vs Sunni historical schism results in what we see today. Social media has also played its part by the use of fake news and the fear it generates as many now believe what they read because they don't have the education to ask the right questions and look in the right places to validate what they are told is 'true'. As the islamic extremists 'do their thing' it falls right in the path of right wing extremism to generate support for their agendas. You cannot beat religious extremism by force. They want to be martyred!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The threat of Islamic terrorism DOES resonate with people and sadly they are deeply deeply scared about it. Pretending otherwise is absurd.

The failed Parson St bomb led to a stampede and more people were injured through their reaction to the realisation that there was a bomb on the train than the bomb itself.

This is not rare, recently in Oxford Street an innocent electrical fault outside John Lewis that caused a bang that then led to a stampede, dozens were injured but it was not widely reported.

So, it’s not just Islamic terrorism that is the threat, it’s people’s fear of it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4574086/2-000-fans-run-fear-firework-mistaken-bomb.html

You can prattle on like an adolescent about how rational you think you are, had there been a “bang” outside the Emirates or on way to Arsenal underground station yesterday then things would have been different........and if you are not thinking about that then you are just dumb.

Those who panic are lost

At no time on Sunday did I think about being blown up or shot at. I was just thinking about the game and everyday stuff.

This does not make me or others dumb. Maybe due to working in London makes you more relaxed about these issues while still being alert for something out of place.

If you live in say Worthing Devizes Torquay or similar places you should not come into contact with terrorism.

If you go about constantly scared of terrorism you are over reacting.

As I posted to the OP if you are that scared why go to the game yesterday.

I will carry on enjoying my life without walking around a nervous wreck believing I will probably be killed whenever I leave the house

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
People are more sensible than you make out. There is a risk from terrorism but people dont rate it as highly as you and a few others do.

The main issue is that even if only one person is killed in a terrorist attack it is headline news nationally whereas a car crash killing 1 or 2 will only be local news.

The risk perception is increased for those that don't look at things rationally.

Much like a plane crash the headlines and numbers involved make many people believe flying us dangerous whereas it is safer than driving.

People don't dismiss the risk and will be alert for left suitcases or suspicious people. However they know that for virtually 100% of the time there is not a threat of them being caught up in this.

Yes people will not visit countries where the Foreign Office say don't go but will still travel throughout Europe and America as the risk is not a high one.

Way to bury your head in the sand. I can't believe you are comparing accidental death to murder. Just because it might not happen to you, it doesn't mean you shouldn't feel that something needs to be done about it.

Imagine if people felt the same way about German bombers during the war. "Well, bombs do get dropped on us every now and again, but it's unlikely to hit me, so let's pretend they aren't there."

There have been hundreds, maybe more, of deaths due to Islamic terrorism in Europe alone within the last couple of years. How many more Manchester incidents do there have to be? When it kills the same amount of people as a car crash does? That's absurd.

Yes, I was worried about going to London. Bully for you that you're used to it. Like the mayor of London said: "It's just a part of living in a modern city." Well, it shouldn't be.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
Terror attacks have more far reaching effects than just the attacks themselves;

"Monarch chief executive Andrew Swaffield set out the reasons behind the failure in a letter to staff he described as "the update I hoped I would never have to write".

Mr Swaffield said that in the past year the airline had taken 14% more customers but £100m less in revenue.

He said the "root cause" of the fall in revenue was terror attacks in Egypt and Tunisia, as well as the "decimation" of the tourist trade in Turkey"

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You're far more likely to be murdered by your spouse than a Muslim fanatic if that helps with some people's risk management.

I don't think anyone is saying there is no problem. However you're talking lottery winning odds of being killed or seriously injured in an incident.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The vast majority of islamist terror attacks are committed by Sunni moslems.The vast majority of Shia,Ahmadi,Ibadi moslems are peaceful and tolerant.It has long been a puzzle to me why,with such a clear target,far stricter rules are not applied to Sunni immigrants.I'm certain all other moslem sects would agree,as they are quite often the ones under attack.Nothing whatsoever racist about it,just common sense until they start behaving like the rest of the human race.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Terror attacks have more far reaching effects than just the attacks themselves;

"Monarch chief executive Andrew Swaffield set out the reasons behind the failure in a letter to staff he described as "the update I hoped I would never have to write".

Mr Swaffield said that in the past year the airline had taken 14% more customers but £100m less in revenue.

He said the "root cause" of the fall in revenue was terror attacks in Egypt and Tunisia, as well as the "decimation" of the tourist trade in Turkey"

He misused decimation.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Assad & the Russians are doing that in Syria. 3,000 dead this week.

We in the West are very safe & comfortable, compared to many places in the world.

yeh .....but we'll all worry about Kim & Trump patching things up whilst over here in Oz we have the earth shattering problem of legalising gay marriage to take up the front page headlines.

meanwhile the carnage is continuing in Syria......the planet is ****ed up on so many levels.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Way to bury your head in the sand. I can't believe you are comparing accidental death to murder.

Around 35 people have been killed in Islamist terror attacks in the UK this year.

Roughly the same number were killed in 2016 by a car/van/lorry/bus while walking on the pavement.

The risks are roughly the same, both seem to be rising and - as individuals - there's nothing we can do to avoid beyond not leaving our homes.

But most of us (including me) worry much more about the terrorism because it has a massively higher profile in the media, and there's lots of demand to do something about it.

So it seems to me that the 'burying heads in the sand' here is on traffic violence. 1,700 die every year, killed by drivers in the UK. Better design, enforcement and laws could massively reduce this. It's not going to happen though.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Around 35 people have been killed in Islamist terror attacks in the UK this year.

Roughly the same number were killed in 2016 by a car/van/lorry/bus while walking on the pavement.

The risks are roughly the same, both seem to be rising and - as individuals - there's nothing we can do to avoid beyond not leaving our homes.

But most of us (including me) worry much more about the terrorism because it has a massively higher profile in the media, and there's lots of demand to do something about it.

So it seems to me that the 'burying heads in the sand' here is on traffic violence. 1,700 die every year, killed by drivers in the UK. Better design, enforcement and laws could massively reduce this. It's not going to happen though.

gotta die of something ...at least traffic accidents are quick

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can't believe they are people on here who think we shouldn't be worried about Islamic terrorism. Unbelievable.

I await the next attack and you to tell me how it barely ever happens.

I presume it has been posted elsewhere. The 'next attack', claimed by 'isis' was done by this professional gambler from America...... largest gun massacre in US history.

terrorist.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here