Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Credit due to the 3,000 travelling fans

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
There's a good probability that we'll lose all 7 away days against the huge spenders and be outplayed in the process. To me that's totally unenjoyable, including enduring the arrogance of entitled fans who think they're world beaters in the moment. The reaction of the :wanker: gooners and Iwobi today on that second goal, was as if they'd just sealed victory against a Klopp or Mourinho team. I'm a bad loser and hate watching one sided games against us and almost guaranteed defeats.

In contrast to the 3,000 loyal Albion away fans who love these day trips and the games themselves. Perhaps the banter and a few pints makes these great days? Credit to you.

I really can't understand this logic. After years of watching Albion lose to poor teams in poor stadiums, we are in the Premier League playing against the best teams in the country. Yes, we will probably lose most games against the big six/seven (and a lot of games across the whole season) but there is always a chance of getting a result and any points we can pick up in those games can be massive.

We were outplayed at times yesterday but it was a clear step up from Man City where we only sat back and defended. Here we played well for long periods, looked solid at the back and had some good chances (including hitting the post). I really don't get what there is to find so unenjoyable.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
[tweet]914475215861813249[/tweet]

Exactly. And there will be more days like that at huge grounds where we could have only dreamed of going in the league 20 (or even 10) years ago. And we may come away from one or two with a draw/win and what a reception the players will get at the end then.

I am loving every minute of the Premier League so far and seven points from seven games is a decent return at the moment. I really don't get the OPs comments.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
My thinking too. If only we can get a second bite at the PL cherry. Plus our recruitment team/the Board will be all the more experienced and wiser on player recruitment next Summer.

You would certainly like to think so after the shambles pre-season.

I'm not convinced that we aren't already an attractive club. New stadium, world class training facilities, great places to live. But the real attraction to the vast majority of the players is the money. Do you think Bournemouth is a great place to go and play football in their shack of a ground with few fans? But they got Defoe!

It all comes down to whether the club can afford to pay top dollar to attract the quality of players we need.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
Their (loud) lifelong working class fans were in effect ousted by JCL Rupert's and Jason's from London and the Home Counties, who can afford to pay £2,000 per season a ST. This increased Kroenke's wealth, but killed the atmosphere.

It wasn't called "Highbury The Library" for nothing either.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Only criticising those who suggested that the supporters needed praise for getting to the game. When attending The Amex I see a number of Arsenal fans returning from a home game when I am at Haywards Heath station so it takes no longer to get to and from The Emirates than to The Amex.

Last season it was a lot of West Ham's newly-found 25,000 extra fans who were on their way to the Olympic stadium. How fitting that I saw a girl get off at East Croydon with her boyfriend on the way home with tattoos on both arms. Classy! :)

el punal

Last season it was a lot of West Ham's newly-found 25,000 extra fans who were on their way to the Olympic stadium. How fitting that I saw a girl get off at East Croydon with her boyfriend on the way home with tattoos on both arms. Classy! :)

The right arm said "f**k and the left arm "off"?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I live round the corner from the Emirates and grew up with a lot of Arsenal season-ticket holders. Went for a drink with a few of them after the game and one said, with a twinge of jealousy, that we were the loudest set of away fans he'd heard there for a long time.
When Arsenal play you can occasionally hear the crowd from my living room. My girlfriend said it was the loudest she'd heard it yet.

Sat in the away end, after growing up in a North London school where it was pretty much 50% Arsenal, 50% Tottenham, I left the Emirates on Sunday very proud of the Albion, both on and off the pitch.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was in a middle tier prawn sandwich corporate lounge yesterday, absolutely bloody marvellous. Arrived in time for a couple of pre-match beers in a sparsely populated lounge. No queues whatsoever, just walked straight up to the bar, got the beers in, then sat down at one of the huge tables and took it all in. Excellent seats in the Ring of Indifference, just opposite the corner of superbly loud Albion fans. Wandered back in at half time for a couple of FREE BEERS (yup, just stroll up to a table that had dozens of freshly poured pints of beer or glasses of wine just sat there waiting). I was only halfway through my 2nd halftime beer when the second half kicked off, so finished it off whilst propping up the bar watching the game on TV before mincing out for the second half. No wonder that middle tier is always almost empty when the game restarts.

Arsenal fans were quiet as, but then I got the impression I was amongst a load of tourists. Top, top day out though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION]'s take on it >>> http://www.northstandchat.com/conte...%96-reflections-on-yesterday%92s-Arsenal-game including:

"From my experience it isn’t really accurate to describe ‘The Emirates’ as a library. I have taken part in many library based performances and things can actually get quite noisy if you put your mind to it.

It was more like a dentist’s waiting room.

It is literally true – and I mean literally – that 100 Whitehawk Ultras in their scaffold-covered ‘Din End’ in the Conference South make more noise than a theoretical 56,000 Arsenal fans (there were thousands of empty seats) did for the majority of the game. There were permanently fixed artificial ‘supporters’ banners’ all over the stadium announcing the presence of Arsenal fans from different parts of the globe – but the missing one was from Belgium. The Trappist monks’ branch of the global Arsenal brand was in full voice everywhere."

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Ive never been so disapointed by a ground. Was looking forward to seeing the Emirates, i had been told by others that it was quiet but assumed there must be some noise. I dont think ive ever been to a ground with such a lack of atmosphere, it just felt bizarre. Im pretty sure if the Amex is like that i wouldnt go.

My work colleague "Arsenal fan" (it was his first game yesterday and he can only name 1 player) has accused me of being a sore loser because I moaned about how awful the atmosphere was. I feel genuinely sorry for him.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Tattooed lady? Point me in her direction.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My friend at work is originally from that part of London and speaking to her today, she said her kids (teenagers and early twenties) who were all brought up to follow the Gunners, much prefer the Amex and are kind of being won over for Brighton. They were raving about the atmosphere against Newcastle apparently.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Tell me Return of the Rev have you ever been to a Brighton game at any of their last 4 home grounds?
I believe he had a season ticket at all 4 grounds. He also followed England to Mexico and all over Europe.
And followed local and grass roots football so what's your point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here