Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We gave a very good account of ourselves...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
when Albion had a proper go, they made it very uncomfortable for them, and it was fantastic to see, begging the question why limit it to just 2 or 3 occasions?

Showing just a little more intent, would have made for a very different game.

Sure getting the team attacking without compromising it's defensive duties is a tough balancing act, but they have to do it better than that.

Interesting. What does "a proper go" or a "little more intent" or "let the team play" actually mean ? - presumably this is something CH could easily fix if you could whisper in his ear. So what exactly would you be doing ?

Was there undercover with the gooners and was happy with the first half but disappointed with the 2nd. Needed to be a bit more aggressive without going all out imo

Thought all the team did their job except the two izzys, both faded and looked disinterested before being subbed
I was undercover too and there was a guy sitting behind me talking about Whitehawk FC, wasn't you by any chance?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd rather go with my judgement of the game that I saw at the ground rather than some journo with little interest in the game. We played well imo, we had chances (9 shots) against a top 6 side and were no where near as poor as these articles suggest. The lads can be proud of their efforts today just as those who were supporting them are

Proud of the defensive strength in keeping the score down, but outclassed. No slight on the players .... Arsenal have spent £100m's on fees and wages building a squad that beat lower budget clubs with ease. It's what Arsenal do, whilst getting destroyed themselves by the PL's and CL's big spenders.

Interesting. What does "a proper go" or a "little more intent" or "let the team play" actually mean ? - presumably this is something CH could easily fix if you could whisper in his ear. So what exactly would you be doing ?

He'd bore Houghton to death with tales of the drug cheats, whom he idolises, until he gave in and then gorged on haribo wishing he was a fat cvnt like stat.

Claude samdamme

Mar 8, 2014
I think that's incredibly harsh on them both.

Brown coming back from injury and playing an isolated unfamiliar role with little to no practice.

Izqueirdo clearly having been given a much more defensive duty than he'd be used to, wasn't exactly prowling in their half off the shoulder of their last defender was he?

NEITHER looked disinterested I just think you/we are underestimating the amount of work it takes the whole team to get even close to some of these teams.

If we'd have been at home I would have expected Groß to have been plugging the gap between them and the midfield thus giving them both much needed support.

Brown in particular was so isolated that unless he won and held the ball AND beat a man didn't have much chance to do anything.

Were you there? Disinterested is a bit harsh but Izzy B's effort level and movement off the ball in the 2nd half was well below where it should be. Given he's a young guy who's not going to get too many chances to be the main striker in the prem against a team like Arsenal I was surprised he didn't give more.

But agree they're both on the back of injury/low game time so disinterested is harsh and overall the team did us proud

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
You jumped in like most p...stakers before I had a chance to read it and edit it. Well done go to the top of the class.

That sense of humour bypass seems to have gone well, send my congratulations to your surgeon. Maybe you can text him from your Omsung Phine.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Were you there? Disinterested is a bit harsh but Izzy B's effort level and movement off the ball in the 2nd half was well below where it should be. Given he's a young guy who's not going to get too many chances to be the main striker in the prem against a team like Arsenal I was surprised he didn't give more.

But agree they're both on the back of injury/low game time so disinterested is harsh and overall the team did us proud

Yes I was there and neither looked disinterested.

How many times do we need to be told that IB ISNT a pure out and out striker. He was playing a relatively alien role and taking one for the team.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That sense of humour bypass seems to have gone well, send my congratulations to your surgeon. Maybe you can text him from your Omsung Phine.

My apologies it is one particular poster who never has anything to say either constructive or destructive other than to try to knock me or take the p..s and I let it get to me when I have tried my utmost to avoid his posts.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd take what the team did well, on occasion today, and expect more of the same.

Playing the lone striker with everybody else in defense didn't work today or v City.
Both games where the opposition weren't as good a we let them be. (I'd be well happy if we were playing a rampaging City today, and the score was only 0-2)

Chances are by the time the next lot of 'big 6' games come round they'll all be absolutely firing, with a full week to prepare.
These opportunities aren't going to come round too often, if at all, this season.
Today was a chance, which is why I felt more could have been made of this game.

Our defenders are bloody good, as is the midfield, so let them get on with it.

I'll wager a full 13p that today the Albion got themselves into more trouble (mis) playing the ball facing Ryan than they did Cech.

As said elsewhere, this is a bloody good team, not a bunch of poorly managed overpaid mercenaries, at least give them a chance to win.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My worst fears came to fruition.

The Albion had no intention to score from open play, and for all their good play came away with nothing.
The bore-offs who cream themselves over 'Hughton is too defensive', will be like a dog with too dicks.

Isn't that first statement basically you telling us that Hughton is too defensive? Seems like you want yo have your cake and eat it here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Isn't that first statement basically you telling us that Hughton is too defensive? Seems like you want yo have your cake and eat it here.

But we all know Hughton isn't.
So many fans from his past clubs couldn't wait to tell us 'we'll never win anything with CH in charge'.
Sure enough for the first 6 months we weren't given much evidence to the contrary.

But for the last 2 seasons, like you I'm sure, I've watched some of the best football in all my years of support.

Then all of a sudden when faced with a 'top 6' side CH backs off puts 10 men behind the ball and the team still loses 2-0.

I can all but hear all the Norwich nimrods saying 'see told you, he only can play defensive football'.
I just find it very frustrating, esp if this is the template for the other 10 'big 6' games still to come.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Positives and negatives for me. We are a long way behind the top six and I wasn't expecting anything, but we sat too deep in the first half and there were a lot of individual, unforced errors. Our defence looked panicky at times. We looked much better when Knocky and Murray came on, and were the dominant team in the last 10-15 mins. Maybe we deserved a goal, but given the chances they created I don't think we could have complained if they'd scored four or more. Having said that, the players gave it everything. Bring on Everton.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'd take what the team did well, on occasion today, and expect more of the same.

Playing the lone striker with everybody else in defense didn't work today or v City.

So play better and play presumably an additional striker up front if 4-4-1-1 is a no no ?
Who ?

So many fans from his past clubs couldn't wait to tell us 'we'll never win anything with CH in charge'.
Sure enough for the first 6 months we weren't given much evidence to the contrary.

But for the last 2 seasons, like you I'm sure, I've watched some of the best football in all my years of support.

Then all of a sudden when faced with a 'top 6' side CH backs off puts 10 men behind the ball and the team still loses 2-0.

I can all but hear all the Norwich nimrods saying 'see told you, he only can play defensive football'.
I just find it very frustrating, esp if this is the template for the other 10 'big 6' games still to come.

Yes, but you are the fvckiing cheerleader on here you divvy c,nt.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Hmm...I think we'll have to agree to disagree with the interpretation of that first statement then.

Yes, I do think CH is too defensive at times. I also think he leaves substitutions too late but that's just my opinion and CH is clearly the expert here so I would never use my little grumbles as a rod to beat CH with and I certainly would never go full Norwich and start to resent him. Just my guess but I think that most people are like-minded. We're just letting off steam but we all love Hughton and trust him as manager.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
My worst fears came to fruition.

The Albion had no intention to score from open play, and for all their good play came away with nothing.
The bore-offs who cream themselves over 'Hughton is too defensive', will be like a dog with too dicks.

Sure getting the team attacking without compromising it's defensive duties is a tough balancing act, but they have to do it better than that.

Rolling over for City and now Arsenal, means we can expect the same for Chelsea, Liverpool, Utd and Spurs.
All of whom can humiliate the Albion, but so far the team has clearly been told to show to much respect for 2 teams that weren't entitled to their comfortable wins.

Do you think it was a) lack of effort;b) poor tactics; c) actually Arsenal are quite good...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For us the game was over when they scored the 2nd goal so I would have liked us to bring on Murray for Brown and AK for Izerquierdo then at least tried to get the goals back for a draw

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here