It's a bloody shite hole:nono:
Every time I visit it gets worse:nono:
Rusty railings
Boarded up buildings everywhere
Homeless people scattered everywhere
Weird scruffy people
Graffiti galore
Buildings that are desperate for a lick of pain and a clean up
It has gone backwards with no funding what's so ever and clearly is a city in decline considering it's on the door step of London and has over 10 million visitors a year spending a fair few whack.
So why is it so bloody poor?

To many students?
Can't attract the right business's ?
The greens?

Really sad to see the way it's going and will only get worse.Many other cities and towns in the south have moved with the times and look clean and well maintained yet Brighton reminds me of Blackpool behind the mile....Facking depressing and full of poverty mostly !!!

Strangely hove looks well tidier and well maintained :)
Getting out next year,its a dirty hole tbh:shrug:

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
Rusty railings
Weird scruffy people
Graffiti galore
It has gone backwards with no funding what's so ever and clearly is a city in decline considering it's on the door step of London and has over 10 million visitors a year spending a fair few whack.

To many students?
The greens?

Really sad to see the way it's going and will only get worse.Many other cities and towns in the south have moved with the times and look clean and well maintained yet Brighton reminds me of Blackpool behind the mile....Facking depressing and full of poverty mostly !!!

I think the problems are down to multiple issues.
the railings downs to lack of care and maintenance by the owners / council
Boarded up buildings, as soon as someone wants to change an old pub / shop or bingo hall to flats / housing or even offices the preservation brigade who never knew of the buildings existence come out of the woodwork and thwart any improvement so owners let the rot and fall apart.
There was a large influx of homeless people a few years ago mostly shipped down from london, rather than tackle the issue the council have ignored it and left it the charities
As for the other issues i put it down to generation Y, Cityclean (who do the bare minimum and get away with it) and the last 2 councils being so concerned with silly vanity projects they have forgotten the city as a whole and have let parts rot why slapping a bit paint on the odd bit to tart it up.

Smoky McPot

May 12, 2009
I hate this 'The something for nothing generation'. More and more research suggests that those born in the 1980's and later as considerably worse off that those born before. Tightening wage packages, £40k tuition fees coupled with astronomical house prices in Brighton see more and more of us moving away from the city they grew up in. Absolutely nothing to do with not taking care and pride in our surroundings. Sorry if we can't spend our disposable income on improving the surroundings, we're just paying enough to rent a flat, let alone trying to build for our future. And by the way, the less we're paid, the less tax we pay for local councils to try and improve the local area. Brighton's improved massively in the past two decades, no city is perfect.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
God I hate NSC for anything other than football. The age profile is old and ageing and the crap views on here just reflect this.

Let's all vote Tory cos we are lucky enough to own a home before we pull the ladder up, that means that the Council who have lost a third of their income can't do the railings or parks or rubbish, staff shortages hold up planning decisions. Greedy landlords don't care about the place just take money out of the city.

Then we can blame the "something for nothing" generation, the weirdos and anyone else who doesn't vote Tory.

Honest
Y, what do you expect?

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Rusty railings
Weird scruffy people
Graffiti galore

To many students?
The greens?

Needs a like of pain!?
Tell me more - increase in bondage bars? Not sure it'll solve the issues

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Rusty railings
Weird scruffy people
Graffiti galore

To many students?
The greens?

This thread seems to crop-up once every 2 weeks from someone who grew-up in Brighton but now lives in Dubai or Florida or Swindon, and they visit and discover that their favourite old corner shop has closed down and somehow they've never heard of Conservative austerity which means that local government doesn't have money to titivate the town and which has tipped thousands of people onto the streets all over the country. Then they come on NSC and tell us who live here that the city is shite and I just think "I bloody love living in Brighton and Hove and haven't been anywhere I'd rather live".

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I hate this 'The something for nothing generation'. More and more research suggests that those born in the 1980's and later as considerably worse off that those born before. Tightening wage packages, £40k tuition fees coupled with astronomical house prices in Brighton see more and more of us moving away from the city they grew up in. Absolutely nothing to do with not taking care and pride in our surroundings. Sorry if we can't spend our disposable income on improving the surroundings, we're just paying enough to rent a flat, let alone trying to build for our future. And by the way, the less we're paid, the less tax we pay for local councils to try and improve the local area. Brighton's improved massively in the past two decades, no city is perfect.
This with bells on! Up yours to the miserable old farts

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I had to go to Havant for the first time a couple of weeks ago, it wasn't any better, abandoned shops, graffiti and street drinkers and a couple of homeless people in doorways. It seems there is a race to the bottom in many towns, endless charity shops Poundlands, Savers and Cash Converters, a tattooists' or two and kebab/Pizza shops. As I got off the train and walked trough all of this I genuinely felt I was looking at scenes from Ralph McTell's Streets of London or a Squeeze song. Nearly every shop left showed a race to the bottom in whatever it supplied be it Greggs, Specsavers, Wlkinsons...it was just miserable and dirty.

This thread seems to crop-up once every 2 weeks from someone who grew-up in Brighton but now lives in Dubai or Florida or Swindon, and they visit and discover that their favourite old corner shop has closed down and somehow they've never heard of Conservative austerity which means that local government doesn't have money to titivate the town and which has tipped thousands of people onto the streets all over the country. Then they come on NSC and tell us who live here that the city is shite and I just think "I bloody love living in Brighton and Hove and haven't been anywhere I'd rather live".

You need to have a look.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Brighton seems nicer than I ever remember it being. Used to be a huge swathe of wasteland behind the station and a huge carpark on what looked like a bomb site where the Jubilee library is now. Yeah Maderia drive is terrible but that is thanks to successive council administrations not investing in its upkeep.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Seafronts tend to rust very quickly and the buildings can look shoddy as well, after a few winter storms.
Brighton has a very long seafront.
Councils really don't have a pot to piss in and have to manage the budget very carefully, I like to think that any right thinking person who had a choice between protecting vulnerable children or a few pots of paint would choose children.
Private landlords are very reluctant to spend money on their properties these days as well, even big businesses like hotels are very tight these days as well.
It's all down to lack of money or the unwillingness to spend it.
Huge homeless problems don't help either.
People not caring for their city by throwing rubbish around does not help.
Over the decades Brighton has always fluctuated between good and bad and with its reputation you will never change the type of people who move there, a strange mix of the normal, the rich, celebrities, the strange and the downright perverted.
Brighton is Brighton you either love it or hate it.
But regarding the state of the city Plymouth has very similar problems, some nice areas but also some total embarrassing areas.

Brighton seems nicer than I ever remember it being. Used to be a huge swathe of wasteland behind the station and a huge carpark on what looked like a bomb site where the Jubilee library is now. Yeah Maderia drive is terrible but that is thanks to successive council administrations not investing in its upkeep.
It's filthy if you take a look.
Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of Brighton I'll show you something to make you change your mind.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It's filthy if you take a look.
Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of Brighton I'll show you something to make you change your mind.

But it's always been filthy hasn't it? Sure it's not just rose tinted glasses making it seem nicer year ago?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I absolutely love Brighton and always will. It’s a brilliant city. I’m always so proud that so many people want to come here.

There’s quite a lot of bollocks on this thread.

Firstly, using Brighton’s problems to have a go at whatever party you don’t want to be in charge of the local council doesn’t make much sense, as they’ve all had a turn at some point in the recent past, so untangling which success or failure belongs to which party is virtually impossible. Ultimately the amount they’re getting from central govt is plummeting and whoever takes over in the coming years isn’t going to be able to do much more than damage limitation

It was a pretty audacious claim from the guy who was seeking to lay the blame at the “something for nothing generation” … errr, don’t think so mate.

Agree with the point about too much tagging. We need to clean this up and with luck, catch the tossers.
Agree with the point that there’s been an alarming increase in homelessness and loads more needs to be done.
Agree that a city-wide lick of paint and a spray down wouldn’t do any harm at all. There would need to be a consensus for extra council tax for significant improvement on these points. I’d be up for it.
Agree that preservation groups are holding the city back a bit more than helping it.

I’m glad to see all the work going on at the seafront and that there still seems to be a fair bit of inward investments, eg the life bikes etc.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I don't think we need to take any notice of criticism from someone who lives in Swindon. And before you ask, yes, I have been recently, and I've got relatives there. Poor feckers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I did but thought it wouldn't be appropriate on here....And you'd probably be easy pickings for me anyway :)

You have posted a mountain of shit on NSC, but for sheer CRINGE, this is unsurpassed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here