Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What has happened to Brighton?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I hate this 'The something for nothing generation'. More and more research suggests that those born in the 1980's and later as considerably worse off that those born before. Tightening wage packages, £40k tuition fees coupled with astronomical house prices in Brighton see more and more of us moving away from the city they grew up in. Absolutely nothing to do with not taking care and pride in our surroundings. Sorry if we can't spend our disposable income on improving the surroundings, we're just paying enough to rent a flat, let alone trying to build for our future. And by the way, the less we're paid, the less tax we pay for local councils to try and improve the local area. Brighton's improved massively in the past two decades, no city is perfect.

Hopefully it'll push the house prices down but no sign of that so far. Thought that yesterday, for the first time, It looked shabbier than Newhaven. Which is some achievement.

The main thing recently is all the tagging. It is everywhere and makes the place look a dump.

Now that's funny.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I don't think we need to take any notice of criticism from someone who lives in Swindon. And before you ask, yes, I have been recently, and I've got relatives there. Poor feckers.

Really?
Swindon is well up and coming and if you go through the north and west you'll see it's all been developed nicely in the last 10/15 years and it's why many are moving here.
I'm from Brighton and I'm entitled to my opinion that it's a shite hole compared to earlier decades.I have relatives in Brighton and they're very poor so what's your point?
Brighton is the southeast and the most prosperous part of the country yet it may as well be in the north somewhere.It has millions of visitors every year and a huge nightlife yet the council can't even keep the place clean:nono:
Brighton is about 10+ years behind many places in the southeast when it comes to prosperity and well paid jobs.It has little investment throughout and clearly is getting poorer and poorer.

Many hate the thought of people criticising their city but many I speak to say it's really really bad and getting worse and there's many reasons why it will never prosper and it's nothing to do with austerity cuts !!

I hope that one day the city gets away from this green/liberal way of running the city and also cuts down massively on students as building the infrastructure and creating jobs will attract the right people that will have money to spend and will pay council tax and much more :)

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Nobody was saying Brighton looked shit in the summer when it was sunny. Now the weather is drab, everything looks drab.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I hope that one day the city gets away from this green/liberal way of running the city and also cuts down massively on students as building the infrastructure and creating jobs will attract the right people that will have money to spend and will pay council tax and much more :)

Quite right. I defend my home TOWN to the hilt but privately am ashamed by the number of homeless, intimidating street people, scruffy parks (not yours Jevs!), unchecked vehicles parked illegally on grass verges, piles of rubbish on nearly every piece of waste ground, the unchecked travellers and everything that comes with them. I could go on and on.

Council Tax revenues are insufficient to support the whole community and too many (voting) non contributors are welcomed to my TOWN.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I absolutely love Brighton and always will. It’s a brilliant city. I’m always so proud that so many people want to come here.

There’s quite a lot of bollocks on this thread. .

FFS, you don't understand. A pigshit-for-brains homophobic cretin with a cuboid head and the brain power of Stephen Hawkin in a blackout said Brighton is shit because he saw some rust on the sea front. Don't you defend it, we should all be slaughtering it compared to the mighty utopia of Swindon and its shite roundabout

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
You live in Swindon.

Which I suppose is good for you, because as a strange looking dribbling retard with an IQ in the single digits you fit right in with the locals.

So what are your qualifications with reference to Swindon?
Im also Brighton born and bred ( actually Portslade) moved to Swindon in 1991 due toan RAF posting..

Swindon town centre is not so good but in 5 minutes driving from my house I can be out walking on the Ridgeway.
There is plenty to do and see in and around Wiltshire/ Swindon area.
Maybe its not Bel Air but its no worse than parts of Brighton or any other large city.

To say all Swindon folk are retards with an IQ in single figures actually shows what sort of bigot (idiot) you are.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Originally Posted by spring hall convert
Then why is property so expensive?

That's the immigrants fault. Didn't you listen to Farage?

It's all quite logical. The immigrants -- skint, the lot of them --simultaneously come to Brighton to sponge services, etc off the public weal, and then -- flush, the lot of them -- pay crazy money for real estate, driving prices up.

This is called 'economics'.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Swindon town centre is not so good but in 5 minutes driving from my house I can be out walking on the Ridgeway.

With all due respect, this isn't a ringing endorsement of Swindon

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Hove is nicer - if you ignore blatchington road.

But even here there feck loads of homeless now

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
So what are your qualifications with reference to Swindon?
Im also Brighton born and bred ( actually Portslade) moved to Swindon in 1991 due toan RAF posting..

There is plenty to do and see in and around Wiltshire/ Swindon area.
Maybe its not Bel Air but its no worse than parts of Brighton or any other large city.

To say all Swindon folk are retards with an IQ in single figures actually shows what sort of bigot (idiot) you are.

I mean, a look through my posting history would point out the my style is a very OTT aggressive posting style as that's just my style of humour.

However if you want to discuss schematics, I actually visited the center of Swindon for couple of weeks and found it a complete black-hole of fun, expressionism and character. I'd place it alongside Folkstone, Milton Keynes and swathes of South London as the most shitehouse soulless places I've visited/lived. Honestly I feel stupid wasting this many words on it on Swindon, especially to counter-argument Sir Albion, a poster who once moaned that Brighton had too many "festival people" whilst living in Reading, home of the second biggest festival in Britain.

If you like Swindon then bully to you,enjoy it. However personally I'd rather live in a thriving costal town where people are allowed to express themselves than a glorified farmers market where you'll probably get your head kicked in for being a poof if your shoes aren't black, navy or white.

xoxoxox

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
FFS, you don't understand. A pigshit-for-brains homophobic cretin with a cuboid head and the brain power of Stephen Hawkin in a blackout said Brighton is shit because he saw some rust on the sea front. Don't you defend it, we should all be slaughtering it compared to the mighty utopia of Swindon and its shite roundabout

We have more than one roundabout....

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
I mean, a look through my posting history would point out the my style is a very OTT aggressive posting style as that's just my style of humour.

However if you want to discuss schematics, I actually visited the center of Swindon for couple of weeks and found it a complete black-hole of fun, expressionism and character. I'd place it alongside Folkstone, Milton Keynes and swathes of South London as the most shitehouse soulless places I've visited/lived. Honestly I feel stupid wasting this many words on it on Swindon, especially to counter-argument Sir Albion, a poster who once moaned that Brighton had too many "festival people" whilst living in Reading, home of the second biggest festival in Britain.

If you like Swindon then bully to you,enjoy it. However personally I'd rather live in a thriving costal town where people are allowed to express themselves than a glorified farmers market where you'll probably get your head kicked in for being a poof if your shoes aren't black, navy or white.

xoxoxox

you visited when? 1970?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
There's more happening in the average street in Brighton than the whole of Wiltshire. So there's a bit of rust and a few tags? Small price to pay to be among the living.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I live right in the middle of North Laine and absolutely love it.

'Weird scruffy types'?

Would you rather it was full of clones wearing Hollister and Next shite?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
you visited when? 1970?

As I'm 23, probably not, no.

As I said,if you like Swindon then fair enough, that choice is yours, don't let my opinion change that. However I am also well within my rights to think that Swindon is an absolute shithole of a town. It's basically Croydon where the black teenagers are swapped for inbreds and the council estates are swapped for slightly less shit council estates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here