Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What has happened to Brighton?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It's a really strange mix of places. Some are quite nice, but a bit boring. Others are busy and fun, but not particularly nice. The only thing to draw from that, is that you just don't like Brighton. So why is it you don't like it, did you get dumped when here, is your ex wife here or what?

None of those reasons. I was born there, my family still live there by and large, but I just don’t really like it as a place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
What is it that you don't like?

I guess there’s just not that much that appeals to me. As per many of the reasons already stated by others.

There’s not really any decent architecture, large parts of the city centre are full of graffiti and homeless people (granted that’s not unique to Brighton, but it does seem more prominent), much of the seafront looks very, very shabby and personally I’m not a fan of the traditional seaside resort (although I appreciate others might be).

I don’t hate the place, just certain aspects that I don’t like and other places that I prefer. Nothing major.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There’s not really any decent architecture
Of course there is. Adelaide Crescent, Palmeira Square, Brunswick and Terraces are all nice. I also like a lot of the Victorian stock housing.

large parts of the city centre are full of graffiti and homeless people (granted that’s not unique to Brighton, but it does seem more prominent)
More prominent that parts of London, Manchester etc?

much of the seafront looks very, very shabby and personally I’m not a fan of the traditional seaside resort (although I appreciate others might be).
Fair point, traditional seaside resorts aren't for everyone. You don't have to be close to that part though.

I don’t hate the place, just certain aspects that I don’t like and other places that I prefer.
What I find odd is your list of other places, which ranges from pretty, but quiet, to exciting but ghetto, to neither - just flat out dull and uninteresting (like King's Lynn).

If I could think of somewhere nicer to live (on my budget), I'd move, but I can't :shrug:

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I've lived here 30 odd years so class now as my home. I am a Brightonian, well Hove actually. Due to house prices and parking I was pushed out to Portslade, but actually prefer it. Brighton is grotty. Saturday I went to marina for bowling and dinner. The seafront was a nightmare and gridlocked all the way to Grand avenue, so I zig zagged across the city which took me past various long standing derilct sites, Edward st, Sackville hotel, king Alfred, old market, etc plus dozens of closed shops, run down house etc. Sunday went into Brighton shopping, got train in as parking and roads are hateful, lots of tagging, graffiti, beggars, closed shops and dug up North street, general carnage.

The only hope is that there are dozens of things in the pipeline, lots of investment and ideas, so maybe in 5 years the place will be much better.

Yes I'm old

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Bath
4. York
5. Newcastle
6. Durham
7. Edinburgh
8. Bristol
9. Pretty much anywhere in the Cotswolds
10. Canterbury
11. Chester
12. London
13. Truro
14. Cheltenham
15. Pretty much anywhere in North Norfolk
16. Tunbridge Wells
17. Falmouth
18. Harrogate
19. Manchester
20. Sheffield.

Actually much easier than I thought!

I usually like your posts, but I make you wrong at least 6 times with that list

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Of course there is. Adelaide Crescent, Palmeira Square, Brunswick and Terraces are all nice. I also like a lot of the Victorian stock housing.

More prominent that parts of London, Manchester etc?

Fair point, traditional seaside resorts aren't for everyone. You don't have to be close to that part though.

What I find odd is your list of other places, which ranges from pretty, but quiet, to exciting but ghetto, to neither - just flat out dull and uninteresting (like King's Lynn).

If I could think of somewhere nicer to live (on my budget), I'd move, but I can't :shrug:

That’s all fair enough. It would be really dull if we all agreed on everything!!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I have now decided the City needs an elected and preferably a non political Mayor who will take the City and hopefully the non contributors by the throat and give it a good shake!!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not sure how my preferences can be wrong, but I’m sure you’ll enlighten me :wink:
Well if you liked pretty places, and picked pretty places, no one could argue. The same goes for exciting places, remote places, etc etc. Your list just seems odd though, as there's no real theme, it's just a list of places.

Where in Brighton have you lived?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Id rather be flogged with rusty barbed wire than live in Brighton (or Lewes) but having said that its so full of weirdos there would probably be people in to that!

Roughly translated as you can't afford.to,, you live.in Hailsham ffs.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Well if you liked pretty places, and picked pretty places, no one could argue. The same goes for exciting places, remote places, etc etc. Your list just seems odd though, as there's no real theme, it's just a list of places.

Where in Brighton have you lived?

I don't think its that odd to like a different mix of places.

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
Roughly translated as you can't afford.to,, you live.in Hailsham ffs.

Yes that must be it. Having moved here from Wimbledon clearly all I could afford is a caravan. I'm glad people are happy in Brighton or Lewes. Just not my thing. Each to their own though. Not sure why people turn their noses up at Hailsham. I lived in Mitcham for years so its classy to me!

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes that must be it. Having moved here from Wimbledon clearly all I could afford is a caravan. I'm glad people are happy in Brighton or Lewes. Just not my thing. Each to their own though. Not sure why people turn their noses up at Hailsham. I lived in Mitcham for years so its classy to me!

Hailsham is classy?? East Hailsham is one of the top 20% most deprived areas of the country! You have the wonderful Town Farm, traveller site and then the rest of Hailsham is being overbuilt, too many houses and not enough infrastructure.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Right. Let's just put this to bed shall we?

Brighton is a truly wonderful place. It's edgy, it's street, it's urban, it's gritty. Bits of it have been hit by the ugly stick but there are also areas of immeasurably beautiful splendour.

We must cherish our beloved seaside city through this time of austerity. Yes it might have seen better days, but has its heart beaten any less vigorously?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Right. Let's just put this to bed shall we?

Brighton is a truly wonderful place. It's edgy, it's street, it's urban, it's gritty. Bits of it have been hit by the ugly stick but there are also areas of immeasurably beautiful splendour.

We must cherish our beloved seaside city through this time of austerity. Yes it might have seen better days, but has its heart beaten any less vigorously?

This is the beauty of Brighton, it's contrast is core to its beauty. In many ways it is never more beautiful when grimy dirty and grim. Immense beauty can come from such conditions, think of the wonderful music that was born from hume in Manchester, the bronxs in new york, detroit and chicago as the factory closures took hold, no sex pistols documentary is complete without the shots of the rubbish bags being piled high in London in the late 70's. People continuously create splendor from the dirt.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here