Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

catalonia independence vote......

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There has never been a majority of the Catalan population in favour of full independence.

well thats really for the outcome of the referendum isnt it?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Catalan has always wanted independance. Remember Andora was a part of Spain once.
But this vote is a bit of a farce. Madrid say it is illegal and have boat loads of police ready to raid every polling station and shut it down. You cant compare it with anything as it is a part of a country that want to go it alone. UK and the EU and Scotland and the UK are countries splitting away. Can you imagine Kent wanting to put up borders?

Trolling or genuinely comparing Kent to Catalonia? I think you might need a history lesson :)

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
Sums the situation up

´A "region" that represents 20% of Spain's GDP wanting democratic independence ? Now there's a cleft stick for the metro-msm. Can't support the right to democratic sovereign governance in the light of Brexit but can't dismiss the Catalan movement as "extreme right wing" when confronted with the Franco-eta tactics being deployed by Madrid.
Popcorn time....´

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I wonder whether the EU will have the guts to do something. I very much doubt it

Are you kidding? Of course they'll look to do something. I bet even now they're in discussion with France, Hungary and Romania to get their special riot please flown over to help the Madrid government close down this illegal referendum once and for all. They certainly don't want any more areas trying to get away.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Sums the situation up

´A "region" that represents 20% of Spain's GDP wanting democratic independence ? Now there's a cleft stick for the metro-msm. Can't support the right to democratic sovereign governance in the light of Brexit but can't dismiss the Catalan movement as "extreme right wing" when confronted with the Franco-eta tactics being deployed by Madrid.
Popcorn time....´

1. Lots of the 'metro-msm' supported Brexit.
2. Catalonian independence and Brexit aren't the same.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Nice to see the current PM is no better than Franco. Let the people's voice be heard !!! Only dictators fear people voting.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
well thats really for the outcome of the referendum isnt it?

If you misquote me selectively you can make anything up from it.

The OP said Catalonia "has always wanted independence". I simply replied that is not the case. It is a VERY recent phenomenon.

Even in the immediate post Franco years there was never anything close to a majority wanting full independence.

So I find it difficult to understand why there is an increased clamour now, except for the purely selfish economic argument that Catalans don't like a net outflow of taxes away from their region.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
If you misquote me selectively you can make anything up from it.

The OP said Catalonia "has always wanted independence". I simply replied that is not the case. It is a VERY recent phenomenon.

Even in the immediate post Franco years there was never anything close to a majority wanting full independence.

So I find it difficult to understand why there is an increased clamour now, except for the purely selfish economic argument that Catalans don't like a net outflow of taxes away from their region.

You don't know that. you never know until there is a vote. Opinions, polls, they mean nothing, as time and time again results show.

From BBC website
Catalonia has been part of Spain since its genesis in the 15th century, when King Ferdinand of Aragon and Queen Isabella of Castile married and united their realms. Initially retaining its own institutions, the region was ever more tightly integrated into the Spanish state, until the 19th century ushered in a renewed sense of Catalan identity, which flowed into a campaign for political autonomy and even separatism. The period also saw an effort to revive Catalan.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
...and you are also replying to something I didn't actually say.

In any case, any declared result is meaningless. All opposition parties boycotted the referendum.

Of course any declared result is meaningless. But this has opened Pandora's box over there

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
This is very, very sad. I can only see this escalating as the people fight back. Crazy policing. Seeing them beating women like that's makes me f#cking furious.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
This is very, very sad. I can only see this escalating as the people fight back. Crazy policing. Seeing them beating women like that's makes me f#cking furious.

Shows how tolerant the UK is. They could have let the vote take place and then fought it in the courts as to whether it was legal or not

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Spain could have let them have their vote, then just say, "ok, well done, but it's illegal". By their OTT heavy handed thuggery they are changing a lot of peoples minds who were against independence. I for one would be thinking that if this how we are to be treated, then f**k you!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Massive **** up by the Spanish Government. Just let them vote on it. People that want to be independent should be allowed to be. A lesson we learned many years ago after some bloodshed. At least we gave the jocks a fair crack of the whip.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here