Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club will be writing to those who purchased a ticket for Bournemouth [but didn't go]

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
So does this now mean I have to carry ID to away games when there is no legal requirement to carry ID in this country

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What's this obsession some people have about helping fans with fewer points? They could have helped themselves last season by going to more games. It wasn't hard.

Really? You know that for certain, do you? You know the exact circumstances of every fan who's got fewer points than you? Congratulations then, you're either the world's finest seer, or God.
For some people, for all sorts of reasons, it is hard. But of course, you're the perfect fan, so they don't count. I expect you think all poor people are poor because it's their fault too.

Pfft..........

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I think the club is taking a draconian line on this. I speak as a fan for over 40 years who has seen the Albion play at over 100 grounds and only missed one game at Gillingham, so tend to think of myself as "loyal". I am in tier 3 for current games so little prospect of tickets at the moment, but that is how it is. I have been to less than 10 away in the last four years so there should be loads of people in the queue ahead of me for the glamour ties and good luck to them. I am sad but it's my own fault.

So why do I think the club is draconian? Because if the problem is harvesting then all you need to do is make the allocation of fresh loyalty points dependant on attendance not purchase. Threatening to punish people who legitimately purchase tickets but whose circumstances change is going too far.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But people still purchased tickets, and therefore got loyalty points, without going.

But nobody was prevented from going to the Barnet game as many are bleating about with regard to Bournemouth. There is nothing wrong with the scheme, just the way the Bournemouth game was handled.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Really? You know that for certain, do you? You know the exact circumstances of every fan who's got fewer points than you? Congratulations then, you're either the world's finest seer, or God.
For some people, for all sorts of reasons, it is hard. But of course, you're the perfect fan, so they don't count. I expect you think all poor people are poor because it's their fault too.

Pfft..........

And for some reason those people that struggled to get to games previously are now bleating that, as their circumstances all seem to have miraculously change for the better they could, if they could get a ticket, get to the Arsenal game!!

We all know there will be some whose circumstances prevented them going to games previously but I would suggest for the overwhelming majority it was their choice not to go to those games.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So does this now mean I have to carry ID to away games when there is no legal requirement to carry ID in this country

Of course not. Your problem will then be that if you chose not to prove that the ticket you have is assigned to you then you might not get any more in the future. Your choice.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The club is in a no win situation , it will inevitably p*ss off someone when demand for tickets outstrips supply and this 'over demand' will inevitably lead to people looking for ways to enhance their ability to get tickets

Personally I think the issue has been blown out of proportion , 3 games out of the 250 games played by the Albion in the Amex era, though it might have been more, and that the response is a bit heavy handed and will make more 'victims', for example someone who who lives 150 miles away, has a season ticket but can't get to all the games is now not going to get his full quota of loyalty points and/or could be accused of 'harvesting' (leaving a seat empty that someone else wanted) , yet two seasons ago the same person would have been held up as a good example of loyalty by showing his commitment. This issue will only get compounded by Sky moving games around.

A simple statement along the lines that in future the club will only award loyalty points based on actual attendance should have been enough....

P.S. I bought a B'muff cup ticket and went, i bought it quite late so not sure why people could not get a ticket.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
That's rediculous, there is no legal requirement to carry ID.

As an aside, I believe there SHOULD be, but all the time there isn't, the club can't invent laws to suit themselves.

The club haven't invented a law, it's simply a requirement to ensure you can purchase more tickets in the future. You need ID to get on a plane, collect concert tickets, get money out the bank and countless other transactions. I need to carry ID to get into work plus prove who I am to members of the public as and when required.

You don't need to carry ID and no one will make you but ultimately it would be you that loses out :shrug:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Seagull Love Review on Paul Barber 2012.

His name is Paul Barber, and his introduction in the role of CEO could well have a far bigger impact on you or I than whichever on-field employee the club gives a contract to this summer.

So, what do we know about this Barber fellow? A man who we've never heard of charged with the task of developing an infrastructure that will take us to, I don't know, the Premier League? He's the guy that, as a fan, you should take a lot of notice of. He's the one who will be quoted infinite times on the website, he's the man who may have a column in the programme next year, he'll be the voice of good news for you, and bad news for you. Ultimately he will be the face of the club; a 'customer-facing' executive like we haven't had before, but you may have seen at other clubs.

https://theseagulllovereview.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/barber-background.html

I think PB and the club in posting the clarification of the ticket abuse, has set a precedent.
If people who bought tickets for the Bournemouth game, and didn't go because of real reasons, then fair enough.
But to buy and intentionally not go for the reasons of 'harvesting' points is beyond me.
I've previously said that as I'm not a STH (my choice), I find it irksome that I couldn't go to this game, because of the latter issues.
Oh well, life's not always fair, so C'est la vie :thumbsup:

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I wonder how the Club would deal with a situation where supporters were unable to attend a match as happened to Manchester United supporters stuck on the M3 when travelling to Southampton recently due to a suspected terrorist incident?

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
I think the club is taking a draconian line on this. I speak as a fan for over 40 years who has seen the Albion play at over 100 grounds and only missed one game at Gillingham, so tend to think of myself as "loyal". I am in tier 3 for current games so little prospect of tickets at the moment, but that is how it is. I have been to less than 10 away in the last four years so there should be loads of people in the queue ahead of me for the glamour ties and good luck to them. I am sad but it's my own fault.

So why do I think the club is draconian? Because if the problem is harvesting then all you need to do is make the allocation of fresh loyalty points dependant on attendance not purchase. Threatening to punish people who legitimately purchase tickets but whose circumstances change is going too far.

Exactly this. Very unreasonable to penalise people who cannot attend for genuine reasons - not only do they miss the game, they also get docked points because of it!

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I've worked in Information Security and I think the host club giving this data to the Albion could be in quite a sticky position.

Curiously, however, those who don't attend are unlikely to be able to take action since, as they didn't attend the host club does not have any entrance scan data on them. It's only those who do attend that the host club has data on, and seems to be passing to the Albion.

I might pursue Bournemouth with the ICO on this, because I'm interested to see how it plays out.

I've worked in security compliance and as mentioned on another post I disagree. However let me know how the ico route pans out, I'd be interested.

Ticket data alone, much like a number plate, is not pii.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Maybe the club should have a sickness number just in case you cannot attend an away game you have a ticket for, like at work, ring in sick and if you continue to do it you may get invited to an interview to discuss your non-attendance.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This is an utterly ludicrous post. Barber's mismanagement of tickets and the loyalty system has created the situation. That his fix is to try and hard ball loyal, paying customers (and let's be clear, you have to have been loyal for a long time to have enough points to get away tickets this year) really is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

What he should spend his time doing, seeing as its his job and all, is create a system which is fair and allows ALL season ticket holders to get first dibs on all away games, and then sell the remaining tickets afterwards. Unfortunately he's created a totally convoluted system that demands that loyal, paying customers take advantage in order to get to the games they really want to get to.

And the worst thing about it is that by creating such a stupid system, he's stopped other loyal, paying fans that could have gone to such games from actually going. So no, you silly silly person, the buck doesn't stop with fans, it stops with him.

Do we take it that you got your 1st season ticket at Christmas last year and renewed for this season and have to date not seen any Albion away games but now want a ballot or something so that all 20000 STH can have a chance ofgoing to thegames against the top 6 and CPFC.

Typical of someone with insufficient points who wants to queue jump because they can't be bothered to go to the less glamorous games.

There are always winners and losers in life and not everything is provided on a plate instantly. You have to earn rewards rather than expecting hand outs.

The scheme is fair as it rewards those that have had a ST for sometime AND who have been to a fair number of away games over the past few seasons.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Of course not. Your problem will then be that if you chose not to prove that the ticket you have is assigned to you then you might not get any more in the future. Your choice.

The club haven't invented a law, it's simply a requirement to ensure you can purchase more tickets in the future. You need ID to get on a plane, collect concert tickets, get money out the bank and countless other transactions. I need to carry ID to get into work plus prove who I am to members of the public as and when required.

You don't need to carry ID and no one will make you but ultimately it would be you that loses out :shrug:

This. Most people have a driving licence on them or a bank card with their name on. It's no hardship to carry something in a wallet or purse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here