Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SNES Classic Mini

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I missed out on the NES Mini, but preordered the SNES Mini, and will pick it up tomorrow.

Hoping in 2018 the NES Mini will be available again and Nintendo produces enough units to meet demand.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
That would cost far more nowadays. Don't think you've realised how valuable certain original SNES (and N64) games are now.

This is less faff, also it's been optimised to look far better on modern TVs than the original SNES.
I recently bought an original one and several games I really wanted. Not too bad at all.

Not sure how much these new ones go for but so many good games that you will never be able to play.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I thought recently I'd like one of these but when doing a bit of internet research saw some rumours there might be a mini n64 next year. If so, am gonna wait for that. I still have my old one but when i tried to hook it up to a tv recently couldn't get a picture. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

It might be a problem with your cable, are you plugging the RCA cable directly into the TV or are you using a SCART adaptor? I found that my SCART adaptor didn't work so I just plugged it in directly.

Alternately it could be just that you need to give the cartridge a good clean with an earbud dipped into some rubbing alcohol (Or the classic 'blow') I had trouble starting up any of my games recently but eventually I managed to get it working again through persistence.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
It might be a problem with your cable, are you plugging the RCA cable directly into the TV or are you using a SCART adaptor? I found that my SCART adaptor didn't work so I just plugged it in directly.

Alternately it could be just that you need to give the cartridge a good clean with an earbud dipped into some rubbing alcohol (Or the classic 'blow') I had trouble starting up any of my games recently but eventually I managed to get it working again through persistence.

Cheers, I might have another go. It's in a drawer at my mum and dad's place. Tried it out with my young nephew as he wanted to play "traditional PES". I'd love a go on Zelda again.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I was miles off

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 15.24.22.png

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think these retro games are often remembered with rose-tinted specs. They were great at the time as they were cutting edge technology back then, but much as we all love a bit of nostalgia, when you revisit them, they can soon be a bit "meh".

Case in point. I downloaded GTA Vice City onto my PS4 last year, as that was one game I played until my thumbs bled (just LOVED all that 80s music on it). I played it for a while, but after the initial nostalgia-pang had subsided, I was bored quite quickly and pining for the endless joy that is GTA5.

Have a game of Match Day on the speccy, then tell me you won't be back on FIFA faster than Steve Evans on a deep fried lard bap.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Just off on a slight tangent - has anyone got the Spectrum equivalent, and is it any good? I agree with Post 27, some games probably aren't how we remember!

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I think these retro games are often remembered with rose-tinted specs. They were great at the time as they were cutting edge technology back then, but much as we all love a bit of nostalgia, when you revisit them, they can soon be a bit "meh".

Case in point. I downloaded GTA Vice City onto my PS4 last year, as that was one game I played until my thumbs bled (just LOVED all that 80s music on it). I played it for a while, but after the initial nostalgia-pang had subsided, I was bored quite quickly and pining for the endless joy that is GTA5.

Have a game of Match Day on the speccy, then tell me you won't be back on FIFA faster than Steve Evans on a deep fried lard bap.

I think that depends on the sort of game. Goldeneye being a great example of a game which has really suffered over time.

Games like Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger etc are just as fun and playable as ever.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
I bought a Nes Mini last year which was like gold dust to get hold off. A great retro gaming console

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think that depends on the sort of game. Goldeneye being a great example of a game which has really suffered over time.

Games like Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger etc are just as fun and playable as ever.

This. Games that try to be graphically impressive date horribly. A game like Super Mario workd or Zelda - Link To The Past are completely timeless and just as playable.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Agree with you on the Spectrum front. Nostalgia value high, quality of game, low. But games of this period are a whole different er, ball game.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
This thread prompted me over the weekend to set up a rapberry pi retropie console. FOR a little bit of work you can have a games machine that will play games form pretty much any old gaming platform.

I have it playing Playstation one games, SNES, Megadrive etc. All for less than the cost of the SNES one. Doesn't look as good but does a lot more and cost less as well.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I have an original SNES i picked up a few years ago, as it was a steal at £30 CIB. Not got any games for it yet though, as i'm collecting for the N64 primarily.

Tempted to pick up one of these though, as the SNES games can run into a lot of dollar to pick up in decent condition.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Arrived today. Loving it, certain games are absolutely timeless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here