Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

just a reminder

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Who knows, I've completely lost track now. I dunno who is marching, against what, or why, or what it will achieve. :shrug:

Well, it's certainly given you the opportunity to rip the piss out of those protesting and boy, have you done that and then some. And if that makes you feel better about yourself then it's not all gone to waste.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But that's not what you originally wrote, which was this:

Which makes it sound like you're saying the march was against all muslims and quite rightly you were being brought up about that. Marching against Islam generally is not the same as marching against terrorism. I know you're not stupid so I can only assume you are on one massive wind-up here.

You've stealthily clipped my quote there. What I wrote was "marching against a religious ideology that wants the entire western civilisation destroyed for the creation of a worldwide muslim caliphate state" - and all the way along in this thread, we have been talking about EXTREMISTS. That is their objective.

I'd have thought it was fairly clear that I was referring to these marches being against Islamic extremists, hence my stance of "whats the point ?", because its not like you're going to influence them one iota. The danger lies where the line becomes blurred between extremists, and just muslims in general. And I'm not overly convinced that ALL the people being mobilised for these marches pay all that much attention to that. The 5-fold spike in anti-muslim hate crimes is a worrying symptom of the terrorist attacks in this country, and marches such as the ones organised and attended by the likes of the FLA achieve nothing, except fuel fear and division.

In my opinion, like.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Ok. My next 'smart-arse' question (I'm REALLY trying to understand this)

A protest Is done with an aim., change, if you will. Be it independence, a law change, a pay rise, better worker's rights.

At what point will the FLA say "we don't need to protest anymore". What is the goal?

Because, let's be honest, you're not going to stop the extemists having extreme ideology or intention. That would be CRAZY to aim for that.

So, let's assume it's towards the government. Is there a specific law change you are aiming for?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You've stealthily clipped my quote there. What I wrote was "marching against a religious ideology that wants the entire western civilisation destroyed for the creation of a worldwide muslim caliphate state" - and all the way along in this thread, we have been talking about EXTREMISTS (and tornados).

I'd have thought it was fairly clear that I was referring to these marches being against Islamic extremists, hence my stance of "whats the point ?", because its not like you're going to influence them one iota. The danger lies where the line becomes blurred between extremists, and just muslims in general. And I'm not overly convinced that ALL the people being mobilised for these marches pay all that much attention to that. The 5-fold spike in anti-muslim hate crimes is a worrying symptom of the terrorist attacks in this country, and marches such as the ones organised and attended by the likes of the FLA achieve nothing, except fuel fear and division.

In my opinion, like.

And you blur the lines by referring interchangeably between ideology and actions. And the crap about tornadoes is just you ripping the piss out of people because they're an easy and nice and safe target. You clearly have a problem with those that were marching and you manifest this by making sarcastic asides safely from the anonymity of your PC. Those doing the marching clearly have a problem with Islamic terrorists and they decide to organise themselves and march publicly as a show of like-minded folk. Just my opinion but I don't think you occupy the moral high ground here as solidly as you like to think you do.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think what's most disappointing in this thread is that we are all football fans and well aware of the prejudiced views against us, the ludicrous assumptions made about us all and how quick certain groups are to paint us all in a bad light. And here we have a group of football fans getting together over something they feel very strongly about and their fellow football fan is there calling them all 'yobbos', 'hooligans'...sarcastic comments about their appearance and painting them as some sad figure and making assumptions about their combined intelligence like some bigoted toffee-nosed judge who has no interest in football. Shame on you.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And you blur the lines by referring interchangeably between ideology and actions. And the crap about tornadoes is just you ripping the piss out of people because they're an easy and nice and safe target. You clearly have a problem with those that were marching and you manifest this by making sarcastic asides safely from the anonymity of your PC. Those doing the marching clearly have a problem with Islamic terrorists and they decide to organise themselves and march publicly as a show of like-minded folk. Just my opinion but I don't think you occupy the moral high ground here as solidly as you like to think you do.

I'm not trying to occupy any moral high ground. I've made an attempt to understand the objectives of the FLA and the marches, and what they are trying to achieve. Nobody here has been able to nail that down. In my opinion the marches do more harm than good, and I'm dubious as to the true motives of some of the people who are on them. Your position is that its an expression of free speech and "at least they're standing up to something". We're both entitled to our opinions and we're not going to agree on this, which is fine. I'll probably just leave it there.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A theory:

Essentially what we are seeing here are a few thousand Leave voters with violent tendencies and members with histories of being in racist organisations. They feel emboldened, believing they speak for the majority. On the sentiment of anti-extremism, they do, except for extremists of course. Now, it's my belief that they are a mob of illiterate football thugs with racist backgrounds who have fond a way to express their hatred of Muslims and all things foreign by finding a common enemy, the extremists, that nobody can really find fault with.

There protest is pointless and likely nothing more than an excuse for fat skinheads to march en masse, unhindered while believing they have an untouchable moral standpoint. Fascists thrive on marches and shows of force. It's all they are doing now.

I find hordes of violent football thugs marching our streets using Gurkhas and servicemen as a cover for their questionable motives almost as distasteful as hate preaching in mosques.

Luckily, as with all these groups, they'll get bored and it'll fade away like a fart in a car.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think what's most disappointing in this thread is that we are all football fans and well aware of the prejudiced views against us, the ludicrous assumptions made about us all and how quick certain groups are to paint us all in a bad light. And here we have a group of football fans getting together over something they feel very strongly about and their fellow football fan is there calling them all 'yobbos', 'hooligans'...sarcastic comments about their appearance and painting them as some sad figure and making assumptions about their combined intelligence like some bigoted toffee-nosed judge who has no interest in football. Shame on you.

Many of them are self confessed football hooligans or ex hooligans. Apart from the obvious exceptions on here you are way off mark by assuming these people are regular football fans.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Please.

Many of these group of fans associated with the FLA have openly stated that one of the key aspects and symbolism of said march is that they are not fighting each other but standing together for once.

That's where they've got the reputation from. There are self-confessed members of firms within the FLA.

Bristol City fan, Mr Gardiner:
"It's basically football lads from all the different firms and, instead of the football lads coming up against each other, we all stand as one and put all the FIGHTING behind us"

They call themselves FOOTBALL LADS for goodness sake :lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thought I'd take another peek at this thread. Are we still on questionable poetry? If so, here goes:

There's a march on, says Pretty Pink Fairy
To help us become much less wary
Ignore the extremist crap
Say thugs who love a good scrap
The irony! FFS just spare me.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Please.

Many of these group of fans associated with the FLA have openly stated that one of the key aspects and symbolism of said march is that they are not fighting each other but standing together for once.

That's where they've got the reputation from. There are members ofself confessed members of firms within the FLA.

Bristol City fan, Mr Gardiner:
"It's basically football lads from all the different firms and, instead of the football lads coming up against each other, we all stand as one and put all the FIGHTING behind us"

They call themselves FOOTBALL LADS for goodness sake :lolol:

Some are hoolies, some aren't, a bit like when you and I go to a football match. Do you think it's fair to be described as a yobbo just because some in the crowd are? You're making massive assumptions about thousands upon thousands of football fans and by doing so you're no different from when Thatcher did the same about us in the 80s and when the police treat us all as criminals right now just for being football fans.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You're not a football fan anyway Nibble so your view is irrelevant.

For a start, the nibble thing is pathetic but I'll assume you mean me.

I shan't dignify your accusation of me not being a fan with a detailed response, except to say the many hours and hundreds of pounds I spent at Withdean and the trips I have made to The Amex, the money I've spent in the club shop and the hours I've spent hunkered against a radio listening to matches when I was living in a remote part of the UK would suggest otherwise.

You'd do well to take this advice: You are not anywhere nearly as clever as you like to make out on here. And you reveal as much whenever, like on this thread, you start barking at people and trying to occupy the moral high ground. If I were you, I'd do a little less typing and a lot more reading. In short....zip it, chucklehead.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Duly noted and ignored.

That's better. Only type something when you have something to say. Your paragraph after paragraph of self worshipping babble just makes people switch off. Good lad.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That's better. Only type something when you have something to say. Your paragraph after paragraph of self worshipping babble just makes people switch off. Good lad.

Just to be clear. I'll write when I feel like writing. The day I take advice on what to write or when from you is the day I start supporting Palace.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I'm not trying to occupy any moral high ground. I've made an attempt to understand the objectives of the FLA and the marches, and what they are trying to achieve. Nobody here has been able to nail that down. In my opinion the marches do more harm than good, and I'm dubious as to the true motives of some of the people who are on them. Your position is that its an expression of free speech and "at least they're standing up to something". We're both entitled to our opinions and we're not going to agree on this, which is fine. I'll probably just leave it there.

The group exists to bring together football fans of all clubs to oppose and protest terrorism and extremism. FLA supporters believe that government and security services do too little to counter terrorism, and that it is necessary to demonstrate the strength of feeling, while maintaining a respectable face to the protest

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The group exists to bring together football fans of all clubs to oppose and protest terrorism and extremism. FLA supporters believe that government and security services do too little to counter terrorism, and that it is necessary to demonstrate the strength of feeling, while maintaining a respectable face to the protest

In which areas of counter - terrorism do the FLA feel our security services let us down? I mean specific practices they could do better, don't do or need to do? what are FLA's specific, proposed initiatives for the security services? Bullet points are fine if you are pushed for time.

I suspect they mean they let too many Muslims in.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here