Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Magic Money Tree given a shake for MADDY

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry, but I'll trust police officers who have been trained for decades and have spent thousands of hours investigating this case over your gut instincts.

Police deal with criminals also the time, and also have gut instincts. Theirs are a lot more accurate, than random people who've read a newspaper article, or watched a few scraps of news.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The Tories have given the Met Police £154K so they can carry on the search for Maddy, what a total and utter waste of money when there are so many others going short not to say the lack of coppers doing real work instead of jollies to Portugal

I agree Ernest but if I were the parents of the young girl I wouldn't .

That amount of money is small in the grand scheme of things. I don't want to judge governments on issues like this. Tories will hang themselves without our help. I want JC to be PM and I would like to think he would help another individual family if they came to him with a request for help on such an issue.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Stand by for all the 'if it were your child, you'd think diffrently' replies . . . .

If it were my child I wouldn't have ****ed off to a nearby bar leaving the nippers on their own, FFS.

Which has always been the answer and how they were not charged for neglect is beyond me.
It is very sad and the poor kid, if still alive, will be bearing the brunt of this action for the rest of her days.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Seems quite sad to make flippant remarks over the loss of someones child

Not as sad as leaving your kids alone while you'll have a meal. What was the thinking behind this. "Glad to have some peace from them for a while?" You have kids, take responsibility. I never had kids but I sure as hell wouldn't let them be alone for 5 seconds.

No I don't believe they were behind the poor kid's disappearance, that is just plain stupid thinking. But their selfish action led to this happening and what a price to pay.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
They were in a restaurant not a bar.

If you'd gone to any holiday camp 40 years ago, and previously, you'd have found hundreds of us doing it, including me.
Chalet maids would earn extra money walking around the chalets, and reporting a crying child. A sign would go up in the cinema, theatre, or announced in the bar, cabaret or bingo, announcing Baby crying in chalet 238.
It was common practise in any complex. None of us thought anything untoward would happen.

Where's all the condemnation for Ben Needham's grandparents, who lost sight of him in Greece, and has never been seen again? It seems he may have died in a nearby field, but not proven yet. Who lets a toddler play out of their sight? Yes, his parents raised lots of money to have searches done too.

That doesn't wash at all.

My kids are 20 and 18 now and I would never have done what the McCann's did. Their apartment was unlocked and had direct public access from the street.

The McCanns decided very early on to utilise the press as a means drawing attention to their plight - if you do this you live by the sword.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The Express should make a donation, this story has kept their publication going

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I wouldn't deny that the parents made a horrendous error of judgment and will pay the ultimate price for it every day of their lives. I object to comments relating to class warfare being bought into the discussion. Their financial status shouldn't be a precursor to some of the heartless comments that I've read. About 15 years ago my partner and I took our daughter, who was a toddler then to a water park in Spain. Both of us only had eyes for her and weren't negligent or easily distracted. The slides weren't transparent, there were kids running around and parents everywhere and somehow we lost her. I've replayed this a thousand times mentally and cannot begin to explain how she went missing. We both wandered around like zombies desperately searching for her, to no avail. After what seemed like an eternity, during which time I had come to the conclusion that I'd never return to the UK until she had been found, we went to an information point and some bloke had handed her in. There but for the grace of god, we got lucky. He could have been a paedophile and we may never have seen her again. I'd disagree that the parents are only getting what they deserve. No one deserves to suffer like they have.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Which has always been the answer and how they were not charged for neglect is beyond me.
It is very sad and the poor kid, if still alive, will be bearing the brunt of this action for the rest of her days.

Looking at it logically, who would charge them? Portugese police? Do they have a law about neglect in the same way the British do?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wouldn't deny that the parents made a horrendous error of judgment and will pay the ultimate price for it every day of their lives. I object to comments relating to class warfare being bought into the discussion. Their financial status shouldn't be a precursor to some of the heartless comments that I've read. About 15 years ago my partner and I took our daughter, who was a toddler then to a water park in Spain. Both of us only had eyes for her and weren't negligent or easily distracted. The slides weren't transparent, there were kids running around and parents everywhere and somehow we lost her. I've replayed this a thousand times mentally and cannot begin to explain how she went missing. We both wandered around like zombies desperately searching for her, to no avail. After what seemed like an eternity, during which time I had come to the conclusion that I'd never return to the UK until she had been found, we went to an information point and some bloke had handed her in. There but for the grace of god, we got lucky. He could have been a paedophile and we may never have seen her again. I'd disagree that the parents are only getting what they deserve. No one deserves to suffer like they have.

Well said. I lost my son in a shop when he was a toddler. He was in his pushchair one second, and gone the next. He was found 20 minutes later, on a traffic island, outside the shop, by two girls.
I was completely panic stricken, and to this day I never told my ex about what had happened. I was with a friend, and she didn't see him go either. It was so easy, and I still have so much sympathy for parents, especially someone like Jamie Bulger's mother, who has to live with her nightmares every day.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
You are talking with the benefit of hindsight. As I said it was common practice & I cannot point the finger. There but for the grace of God, go I.

My kids are adults now but I would never have left them sleeping with or without medication in an apartment while out enjoying myself. It was never common practice for me. What if a fire had started.... The McCanns did not consider their children's safety. I bet they had their cash and cards on them.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Well said. I lost my son in a shop when he was a toddler. He was in his pushchair one second, and gone the next. He was found 20 minutes later, on a traffic island, outside the shop, by two girls.
I was completely panic stricken, and to this day I never told my ex about what had happened. I was with a friend, and she didn't see him go either. It was so easy, and I still have so much sympathy for parents, especially someone like Jamie Bulger's mother, who has to live with her nightmares every day.

I have sympathy for Jamie Bulger's Mum and family. They didn't neglect Jamie, just had a moments lapse which is human for us all.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Very well said. I will never understand the never ending finger of suspicion and even worse the sanctimonious "they got what they deserved" argument. Really?! Their daughter was abducted. They made a terrible mistake (and yes, my parents did the same leaving me alone in hotels back in the day - it was just the done thing. The world has changed) and they will pay for it for the rest of their lives. I just find the whole story so incredibly sad but it seems to have become a national sport to abuse and point the finger of suspicion (with as far as I can see not an ounce of evidence) at the parents who are stopping at nothing to try to find their daughter. Whether the resources that have been poured into the investigation are justified is another question entirely however.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

You didn't do anything wrong, and it wasn't for the grace of God, it was thankfully that in almost every single case, at every shopping mall, waterpark, fair, park around the world, a lost child will be cared for until their parent is found. Your fear at the time was natural, but irrational, I've done the same thing. The rational thing simply based on statistics and evidence is that she was lost, wandered off, and you would find her soon enough. The shear panic we feel is because these dreadful events are so seared into our consciousness that they feel likely rather than unlikely. You didn't get lucky, you just didn't get extremely and terribly unlucky.

My youngest or our 3 is the worst for it, at 7 its a bit easier now, but because of the older siblings he always thought he could be running off - even now he thinks he should be allowed to walk to school on his own.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Political point scoring and a class war over the abduction of a small child. This board can be the absolute pits sometimes.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You didn't do anything wrong, and it wasn't for the grace of God, it was thankfully that in almost every single case, at every shopping mall, waterpark, fair, park around the world, a lost child will be cared for until their parent is found. Your fear at the time was natural, but irrational, I've done the same thing. The rational thing simply based on statistics and evidence is that she was lost, wandered off, and you would find her soon enough. The shear panic we feel is because these dreadful events are so seared into our consciousness that they feel likely rather than unlikely. You didn't get lucky, you just didn't get extremely and terribly unlucky.

My youngest or our 3 is the worst for it, at 7 its a bit easier now, but because of the older siblings he always thought he could be running off - even now he thinks he should be allowed to walk to school on his own.

So here's the problem. You start by saying it's not luck that nothing happens then finish by implying you think it's not safe for your 7 year old to walk home from school!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So here's the problem. You start by saying it's not luck that nothing happens then finish by implying you think it's not safe for your 7 year old to walk home from school!

Not through fear of a predatory paedophile, I wouldn't trust him crossing a couple of busy roads!

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
My kids are adults now but I would never have left them sleeping with or without medication in an apartment while out enjoying myself. It was never common practice for me. What if a fire had started.... The McCanns did not consider their children's safety. I bet they had their cash and cards on them.

Are you seriously suggesting that the McCanns valued their cash and cards more than their kids?

I don't think £150k is a lot of money, no doubt as we speak some government department is squandering much more than this on another excercise in futility or some pointless project that won't see the light of day etc etc. It's only because it's the McCanns that we have become aware of this "waste of money" This expenditure equates to about a one thousandth of a penny from each tax payer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here