Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool object to Sky moving Arsenal match to Christmas Eve

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
And I wouldn't say the fans are totally blameless either, I bet a large proportion of those moaning have Sky subscriptions.

Very true. Anyone with a Sky Sports subscription - or who visits pubs purely to watch televised games - automatically forfeits the right to complain if fixtures are moved for TV.

You reap what you sow.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Firstly, echo the comments about Liverpool being two faced about tv money!

Secondly, judging by the number of cockneys that seem to ring in to 606 supporting Liverpool, I suspect there will be very few of the 3000 Liverpool fans that would actually travel back to Liverpool anyway!!!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...sports-plan-switch-arsenal-game-christmas-eve

Obviously think this is a disgrace in forcing fans to do this, but does this also raise the prospect of our game (Watford to Brighton and back being an easier trip) filling the gap? None of the other games seem an easy fix...

Arsenal v Liverpool
Brighton & Hove Albion v Watford
Burnley v Tottenham Hotspur
Everton v Chelsea
Leicester City v Manchester United
Manchester City v AFC Bournemouth
Southampton v Huddersfield Town
Stoke City v West Bromwich Albion
Swansea City v Crystal Palace
West Ham United v Newcastle United

It's only 40 miles from Stoke to West Bromwich. Come to think of it, I've been from Manchester to Leicester in a couple of hours.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I was thinking about the wider Christmas period rather than the day itself. We've certainly played Portsmouth on Boxing Day, I remember a particularly grim visit to the Fratton hell-hole.

Didn't there used to be a lot of return fixtures too? We'd play Fulham on Christmas Day at home and go to the Cottage on Boxing Day. We certainly played games on consecutive days

I can remember booking tickets for New years day at withdean two successive years in a row...flying in from Dubai only to turn up and find the game had been cancelled due to a frozen pitch....hohoho

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I can remember booking tickets for New years day at withdean two successive years in a row...flying in from Dubai only to turn up and find the game had been cancelled due to a frozen pitch....hohoho

I don't think three of those gardening implements would sort out a frozen pitch unfortunately.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Leicester v Man U

It's not that far back from Leicester to Milton Keynes.

But its effing MILES to Torquay.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Who the fu<k watches football on Christmas Eve? These people need caring for.

Boxing Day football is a beautiful thing. This only encroaches it and basically has no positives.
We had four Boxing day games with the Palace in the eighties which I enjoyed, with the little extra spice this game always added, plus the fact we won three of them.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I see. So it's OK for the Premier league to demand a king's ransom for their product, with the promise to broadcasters that they can pick and choose which of a particular weekend's fixtures they can move, but it's Sky's fault for taking them up on that once they've handed over however many BILLION for the privilege?

Oh, and aren't Liverpool one of the big six looking to carve up the foreign TV contract to keep a bigger piece of the pie for themselves? If so, it seems they are happy not to look beyond the end of their own noses when it suits them doesn't it?

How about blaming the Premier League for not keeping half an eye on all travel distances around that time of the year when the fixtures came out? Perhaps if they had, this would never have been an issue. :shrug:

This! I completely disagree with Sky moving anything but a local derby game to 4pm on Christmas Eve but when you take the king's shilling...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here