Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool object to Sky moving Arsenal match to Christmas Eve

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
They should show Stoke v West Brom instead. It'll be like the Xmas Day truce game in 1914, only less free-flowing.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Christmas Eve FFS!

They'll be wanting a game on Christmas Day next.

If it wasn't for this first season in the PL I just wouldn't countenance Sky at all. It's wrong to assume that BT are any better.

Sky's strapline is 'believe in better' - go on then Sky. Show us something to believe in. Retract the request.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
The whole Christmas thing is a nightmare.

No trains at all from the west country on Boxing Day. No flights to or from Newcastle to Bristol 30th - still have to get to Brighton for New Years Day.

Why can't we have ten days off?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bit harsh to blame Sky.... as recently as 1965 we had fixtures in England on Christmas Day!

Yes, but back in the days of Christmas Day football (with the return fixture on Boxing Day), we used to have extra trains over the Christmas period, not no trains.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Liverpool are absolutely correct and Sky are being totally irresponsible.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The whole Christmas thing is a nightmare.

No trains at all from the west country on Boxing Day. No flights to or from Newcastle to Bristol 30th - still have to get to Brighton for New Years Day.

Why can't we have ten days off?

loads of people do, thats why they shut down the trains for works.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, but back in the days of Christmas Day football (with the return fixture on Boxing Day), we used to have extra trains over the Christmas period, not no trains.

We also had local matches over the Christmas period, so Brighton would play one of the London clubs or Portsmouth. The Lancashire clubs would play each other and so on.

I'm not sure why that was stopped. Arsenal v Liverpool may be no-no on Christmas Eve but I bet there'd be no problem with Everton v Liverpool or Arsenal v Spurs. It would make sense to have those games back, I bet the Yorkshire teams in the PL would love that .... oh, wait

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Greedy rich people run the world shock horror

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We also had local matches over the Christmas period, so Brighton would play one of the London clubs or Portsmouth. The Lancashire clubs would play each other and so on.

I hadn't thought about the local fixtures aspect of the Christmas Day fixtures, though you may well be right. Our's seemed to be usually against Reading (easy train journey, just change at Redhill). Wouldn't have been Portsmouth though - we weren't in the same division as them back in the days when football was played on Christmas Day (up to 1959).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Serves them right. Greedy club that wanted a better deal for themselves and other premier league so called elites than the rest would get.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I hadn't thought about the local fixtures aspect of the Christmas Day fixtures, though you may well be right. Our's seemed to be usually against Reading (easy train journey, just change at Redhill). Wouldn't have been Portsmouth though - we weren't in the same division as them back in the days when football was played on Christmas Day (up to 1959).

I was thinking about the wider Christmas period rather than the day itself. We've certainly played Portsmouth on Boxing Day, I remember a particularly grim visit to the Fratton hell-hole.

Didn't there used to be a lot of return fixtures too? We'd play Fulham on Christmas Day at home and go to the Cottage on Boxing Day. We certainly played games on consecutive days

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I see. So it's OK for the Premier league to demand a king's ransom for their product, with the promise to broadcasters that they can pick and choose which of a particular weekend's fixtures they can move, but it's Sky's fault for taking them up on that once they've handed over however many BILLION for the privilege?

Oh, and aren't Liverpool one of the big six looking to carve up the foreign TV contract to keep a bigger piece of the pie for themselves? If so, it seems they are happy not to look beyond the end of their own noses when it suits them doesn't it?

How about blaming the Premier League for not keeping half an eye on all travel distances around that time of the year when the fixtures came out? Perhaps if they had, this would never have been an issue. :shrug:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
For no other reason other than to satisfy my curiosity, I've had a look at our Christmas Day games. They weren't quite as 'local' as you would expect.

Post-War, we played:

1946 Exeter City home
1947 Port Vale away
1948 Exeter City away
1951 Palace away
1952 Newport County away
1953 Walsall away
1956 Gillingham away
1957 Swindon Town away

Pre-war, we had away fixtures at places like Bristol Rovers, Aberdare Athletic, Northampton Town, Mansfield Town and Luton. We played Portsmouth once, at home in 1922.

Which was nice

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So let's get this right, LFC are one of the big 6 who are trying to get an even bigger cut of TV lucre over the likes of ourselves, WBA, Stoke, Watford etc, and they do not think that there would be a price to pay for being so greedy? FFS.

Oh, sorry, my mistake, it is the friendly, cheeky chappies who wouldn't harm a fly.........oh in that case go on then :tosser:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was thinking about the wider Christmas period rather than the day itself. We've certainly played Portsmouth on Boxing Day, I remember a particularly grim visit to the Fratton hell-hole.

Didn't there used to be a lot of return fixtures too? We'd play Fulham on Christmas Day at home and go to the Cottage on Boxing Day. We certainly played games on consecutive days
Yes, I remember Boxing Days vs. Portsmouth too. I was wrong about never having played back-to-back Christmas and Boxing Day fixtures against them though; we did, once - in 1922, before they soared away to higher divisions (NB I don't actually remember that - had to look it up!)

Fulham on consecutive days? - yes but it was Boxing Day and the 27th. December, not Christmas Day. That was in 1958.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here