Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hemed out - whats your formation for Arsenal?

What formation shall we use

• 4-4-1-1 replace Hemed with Brown

Votes: 63 60.6%
  • 5-4-1 replace Hemed with Hunemeier

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • 4-5-1 replace Hemed with, ummm, a.n.other midfielder

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 4-6-0 replace Hemed with Izquierdo. Barca-style!

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • haven't a clue mate

Votes: 12 11.5%

• Total voters

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No Hemed, so how do we replace him in the team and what formation shall we use?

1) 4-4-1-1 - as we were, replace Hemed with Brown

Ryan - Bruno, Dunk, Duffy, Suttner - March, Stephens, Propper, Knockaert - Gross - Brown

Keep the formation exactly the same and make the most like-for-like swop that we can do. However, its not as if this formation has been getting the results in the hard games, P4 L3 D1 F1 A6 from City, Leicester, Watford, Bournemouth. And can Brown hold the ball up well enough at a place like Arsenal?

2) 5-4-1, replace Hemed with Hunemeier

Ryan - Bruno, Hunemeier, Dunk, Duffy, Suttner - March, Stephens, Propper, Knockaert - Gross

The formation that Coppell switched to that almost kept us up in 02-03. At the moment in tough games we have almost a six-man defence with the wingers playing full-back and the full-backs playing in the penalty area. Thats giving us no outlets at all, and without Hemed to hold the ball up we'll be even more stuck. This compromises with a five-man defence, and although Gross isn't a target man, with nominal wing-backs out wide March and Knockaert can tuck in and play much closer to him.

3) 4-5-1, replace Hemed with, errrrrr, Sidwell? Kayal? Ince? Norwood? .......bugger

Ryan - Bruno, Dunk, Duffy, Suttner - March, Stephens, Propper, somebody, Knockaert - Gross

This one would make sense if we actually had a body to put in there, but they're all injured or on loan. Rosenior maybe? Bong?

4) 4-6-0, Barcelona-style, replace Hemed with Izquierdo

Ryan - Bruno, Dunk, Duffy, Suttner - March, Stephens, Propper, Gross, Izquierdo, Knockaert

With no striker available, lets not bother picking one. Six marauding midfielders harrassing the Arsenal midfield and defence, breaking with pace and verve. Sounds good on paper :lolol:

Last edited:

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Get Izzy Brown on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Personally I would replace Hemed with Jose and have a pacey, fluid front three that easily becomes a midfield 6 when defending but able to break quickly as they are all fast. I've wanted us to try this for a bit and actually think this is the ideal game to try it. It's a bonus game we're not expecting to get anything from where we will need to play on the counter and I think Arsenal's defence will struggle more with quick attackers.

Fully expect Brown to start instead of Hemed and to keep the formation the same though.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Start Brown for Hemed and then replace hi with Izquerdo when he tires, simples.

Yep, this one for me. We could learn a lot about both Izzies this way, and it's more of a threat IMO than playing, say, Murphy up front. I definitely wouldn't play a defender up front.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'd go for a 4-6-0 with Izquierdo and a brief to morph into a 4-4-1(Gross)-1(Izquierdo) as circs dictate. Gross has the proven intelligence to operate behind the front line but not enough pace to actually be it.

The only other thing is if we're hanging on deep towards the end I hope CH instructs Izquierdo to lurk upfield as much as possible, worrying Arsenal with his pace and taking at least two of their players out of it.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'd go for a 4-6-0 with Izquierdo and a brief to morph into a 4-4-1(Gross)-1(Izquierdo) as circs dictate. Gross has the proven intelligence to operate behind the front line but not enough pace to actually be it.

The only other thing is if we're hanging on deep towards the end I hope CH instructs Izquierdo to lurk upfield as much as possible, worrying Arsenal with his pace and taking at least two of their players out of it.

are we sure though that out of March, Knockaert and Izquierdo, that Jose is the best placed to play through the middle? or its just about the pace?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Ryan
Schelotto - Bruno - Rosenior - Hunemeier - Dunk - Duffy - Goldson - Suttner - Bong
Stephens

March

I'd play 9-1-0-1-0. With Stephens as a holding midfielder to sit in front of the defence and protect them, and March on the right to give us some width.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Ryan
Schelotto - Bruno - Rosenior - Hunemeier - Dunk - Duffy - Goldson - Suttner - Bong
Stephens

March

I'd play 9-1-0-1-0. With Stephens as a holding midfielder to sit in front of the defence and protect them, and March on the right to give us some width.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Wow, some really interesting suggestions backed up by convincing arguments. I still reckon CH will go for the Izzy Brown up front option, but having read some of these imaginative posts I can see a case, especially in a game from which we can't really expect very much of a points return, for being a little less cautious and predictable. Wenger may be expecting the Brown scenario, but could be wrong-footed by something rather less obvious. We've nothing to lose so we might profit from being a bit more "flair"!:rave:

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
A 4-3-3 with Gross slightly ahead of Stephens and Propper with the front 3 interchanging when we're attacking (we will have at least one attack right?)

Ryan
Bruno - Duffy - Dunk - Suttner
---- Stephens ------ Propper
-------------- Gross
Knockeart ----Brown-----March

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
In an ideal world I'd go for a truly sexy fluid 4-6-0, but in reality I suspect there will be quite a lot of heaving it forward in order to transition so we'll need someone (Brown) up top as a focal point.

So I'd say the best gameplan is to stick with the 4411 which has served us so well at home, Two solid banks of four to frustrate them as long as possible and look to Knocky, March, Gross or Propper to pick them off later on.

I'm expecting Kolasinac to pin Knocky back for long periods which isn't the worst thing in the world as he (AK) is so good at exploding forward from deep. Mostly worried about Sanchez/Lacazette because they're both insanely good, and Giroud coming on with 10 mins to go when we're knackered.

I'm hoping that Gross is able to find some gaps in and around that Elneny/Xhaka area (and perhaps draw a foul/card early on). Got a feeling we'll both score.

Can't wait,

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It would be just unbelievable if out of adversity we packed the attacking part of the team with pace and skill and ripped Arsenal to shreds. Can always dream...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here