Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] All new Amazon Echo and Echo Show and stuff

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So the Sonos One due out on 24 October is a Sonos Play with Alexa built-in. Now that does put the cat amoung the pigeons for any Sonos owners who were thinking of buying a Dot or Echo...(noting that Alexa is only enabled to voice control Amazon Music and Tunein at present, so limited functionality compared to the Echo and Dot)

http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/one.html

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Looks like it, and with Hue lightbulbs and other network gizbos.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4158/~/setting-up-amazon-alexa-on-sonos

Which music services can I use with Alexa?
Music services need to be added to both Sonos and the Alexa app. The following services are currently supported:

Amazon Music
Pandora
iHeartRadio
TuneIn Radio
SiriusXM
Spotify users: The ability to ask Alexa to play Spotify music on your Sonos speakers is not yet available, but is coming soon.

Oh......

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I have the Echo, however I'm not quite sure why? I play music on it occasionally, but generally I completely forget it's there :dunce:

Half the battle is knowing the correct questions for it to understand. A lot of the time it takes longer just for the sake of giving a voice command.

Its decent but not as life changing as made out.

Hooking it up to better sound bars is the best feature .

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Got a promo email from Sonos today giving an offer on 25 quid off an Echo Dot

And introducing their new Sonos One with in built Alexa - which I won't be buying cos I've already got the speakers I need

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Got a promo email from Sonos today giving an offer on 25 quid off an Echo Dot

And introducing their new Sonos One with in built Alexa - which I won't be buying cos I've already got the speakers I need

I got the same email but hadn't scrolled down to the £25 off thing. That's pretty decent - I might get one now.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm less tempted now given the very few music services that Alexa seems to work with. We're with Deezer and that doesn't appear to be in spec currently.

Ah......i used to have apple music but recently converted my sons Spotify account to a family one so for me it seems sensible to try it at that price

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ah......i used to have apple music but recently converted my sons Spotify account to a family one so for me it seems sensible to try it at that price

Spotify also doesn't work, officially, although I'm sure someone on here (@tinx?) said it did for him.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Spotify also doesn't work, officially, although I'm sure someone on here (@tinx?) said it did for him.

:moo:

This is from the amazon listings page for a echo dot....am i reading it wrong?
''Connects to speakers or headphones through Bluetooth or 3.5 mm stereo cable to play music from Amazon Music, Spotify and TuneIn. Play music simultaneously across multiple Echo devices and speakers connected via cable with multi-room music (Available for Amazon Music and TuneIn''

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm loving the messaging on it. Endlessly amusing leaving abusive voicemails for a mate of mine.

I am quite immature though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
:moo:

This is from the amazon listings page for a echo dot....am i reading it wrong?
''Connects to speakers or headphones through Bluetooth or 3.5 mm stereo cable to play music from Amazon Music, Spotify and TuneIn. Play music simultaneously across multiple Echo devices and speakers connected via cable with multi-room music (Available for Amazon Music and TuneIn''

Ah fair enough. I'd read a review this morning that said it was "coming soon".

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
So I bought the Echo dot. Fairly painless to get it working. Early trials using Sonos, Spotify and Hive are good.

Some strange things happen - like you can say "Alexa, play Keane in the sitting room" and it comes up with a Keane playlist. Say the same thing with Liam Gallagher and I get "sorry, I don't know that". Maybe Alexa just doesn't like Liam.

My son is having a great time with "Alexa, tell me a joke". Possibly endless fun. She hasn't repeated one yet.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I got the same email but hadn't scrolled down to the £25 off thing. That's pretty decent - I might get one now.

When did you get the email and what was the subject? I get regular emails from Sonos but nothing that I can see about this promotion ! Apparently with Prime you get a further £5 off?

* ignore me. It had been sat in my junk folder

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When did you get the email and what was the subject? I get regular emails from Sonos but nothing that I can see about this promotion ! Apparently with Prime you get a further £5 off?

"Start Using Sonos + Amazon Alexa" on 18/10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here