Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] All new Amazon Echo and Echo Show and stuff

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We have Prime and so the basic Amazon Music is included, and I find that fine for my usage with what I would consider a really good library of songs. Not felt we've needed to upgrade to the Unlimited package yet, and it gets used by myself, a teenager, a 7 year old, and my wife's obsession with the 80s...

That's interesting. Maybe we could drop Deezer and save a tenner a month.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can anyone compare the speaker on a Sonos to the speaker in the new Echo? I was tempted by the Sonos One, but that's £200 and the new Echo is £70. Big, big difference for something I'm probably only going to have in the kitchen.

I've got both. Sonos Play 1 is in our bedroom, Echo in the Kitchen. I'm not a big hifi audiophile or whatever, but the sound on the Sonos is better than the Echo, you don't need to have an expert ear to pick that up. However, the sound from the Echo in a kitchen environment is very good, and I don't find myself thinking about the sound quality when its playing. It is plenty loud enough, and to be fair the bass etc. is pretty good. I listen to a lot of Royal Blood and such, and it kicks it out well enough.

The fact you don't need to touch the Echo to control it, and all the other info you can get out of it while your hands are full of cooking or whatever, makes it a no brainer in the kitchen for me.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I've got both. Sonos Play 1 is in our bedroom, Echo in the Kitchen. I'm not a big hifi audiophile or whatever, but the sound on the Sonos is better than the Echo, you don't need to have an expert ear to pick that up. However, the sound from the Echo in a kitchen environment is very good, and I don't find myself thinking about the sound quality when its playing. It is plenty loud enough, and to be fair the bass etc. is pretty good. I listen to a lot of Royal Blood and such, and it kicks it out well enough.

The fact you don't need to touch the Echo to control it, and all the other info you can get out of it while your hands are full of cooking or whatever, makes it a no brainer in the kitchen for me.

Thanks for replying. That's me sold then.

If I were to get an Echo for the kitchen, and a Sonos One in the lounge, would they work together do you think?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Amazon music on my Prime membership is good.Loads of old ska and blue-beat on there.Just played 'Train tour to Rainbow City' by the Pyramids,so lots of choice!Waiting for next Friday to get Echo or two,and won't leave them next to a fone!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Re music.
You can use free Amazon Music whereby you upload certain songs from your own collection. Limited in quantity of songs though. But then again there are 1000's of radio station on Tune In to mess around with.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I never knew you had this domestic side...all that time in the kitchen :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well, after getting slightly annoyed with the setup process I am 5 minutes into use and consider this the best thing in the whole world*.

(* - after the electric blanket)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I plonked this one on the bookshelf in our dining room, behind where I'm sitting today.

It's brilliant and needs to stay here.

Which means I need another one.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My dot came this morning. It's currently playing The Doors and I have connected it to my heating so I can control that.

Especially good though, better even than farting, is how it responds if you say "Alexa open the pod bay doors"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My dot came this morning. It's currently playing The Doors and I have connected it to my heating so I can control that.

Especially good though, better even than farting, is how it responds if you say "Alexa open the pod bay doors"

...which I just had to try.

I said "Alexa bark" last night, not knowing if it would do anything. It did. And then my dog went loopy.

Yoda

English & European
I plonked this one on the bookshelf in our dining room, behind where I'm sitting today.

It's brilliant and needs to stay here.

Which means I need another one.

Just don't ever tune it into my friends radio show. I've heard him say "Alexa, volume 10" :lolol:

Seen a post on Facebook where someone got home at find full on nightclub loud music playing in their house because of it. :lolol:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Going on order the echo this afternoon for my eldest for Xmas

Via the link of nsc ofcourse to Amazon :)

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Got two through today with the plugs , have set one up and seems good , gonna try a plug for my Christmas reindeer lights later in the month . Ordered two with the discount code , don’t know whether to keep other for upstairs or give as an Xmas present to the non techy parents

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here