Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Warning if you fly on Thomson

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Just reading the Ryanair thread I'm wondering if Thomson will become the new pariah of the skies if Ryanair crash and burn

Blissfully unaware that Thomson have a hand baggage weight limit of a measly 5kg (everyone else I've flown with is either 10kg or no weight restriction, plus their boarding pass only talks about dimensions which we were within) we turned up yesterday for a flight to Tenerife and were ordered to weigh our hand baggage. One was 9kg and the other 7kg. After much pleading/negotiating/arguing the nasty lady (and she really was) forced us to pay £120 excess baggage payment. They have a special desk set up for these payments and we joined a queue of many very disgruntled passengers

Just a warning for anyone planning on flying Thomson

Note 1) Yes I have sent a written complaint 2) It only occurred to me after that we could have transferred 2kg from one case and checked it in 3) How much does an empty carry on case weigh? 4) the fella sat in front of me must have weighed 35kg more than me, maybe he should have been hit with a £700 excess?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Just reading the Ryanair thread I'm wondering if Thomson will become the new pariah of the skies if Ryanair crash and burn

Blissfully unaware that Thomson have a hand baggage weight limit of a measly 5kg (everyone else I've flown with is either 10kg or no weight restriction, plus their boarding pass only talks about dimensions which we were within) we turned up yesterday for a flight to Tenerife and were ordered to weigh our hand baggage. One was 9kg and the other 7kg. After much pleading/negotiating/arguing the nasty lady (and she really was) forced us to pay £120 excess baggage payment. They have a special desk set up for these payments and we joined a queue of many very disgruntled passengers

Note 1) Yes I have sent a written complaint 2) It only occurred to me after that we could have transferred 2kg from one case and checked it in 3) How much does an empty carry on case weigh? 4) the fella sat in front of me must have weighed 35kg more than me, maybe he should have been hit with a £700 excess?

Did you have any check in luggage ? The allowance for that is 15KG or it was when i flew with them a few months ago.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Thanks for the heads up, flying with them next week I will make sure our hand luggage is under 5kg

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

I concur with your last paragraph about those who are overweight ( is that politically correct enough?), weight is the enemy of flight and so whilst charging a passenger for having too heavy a luggage bag, the whole person should be put on the scales with the baggage. Might discourage flying for some but at leats it would free up some seating space for other passengers who have to deal with the sprawl into two seats and blocking fellow pasengers in as those with excess weight sit in the aisle seats.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm on Thomson next week. I too load the hand luggage with all electricals and valuable stuff that I don't want nicked from my suitcase. Always a coat so would take that out and wear it I guess. I carry luggage scales to weigh the main suitcases but never bothered with the hand luggage.
By the way, if charging extra for overweight passengers, Wife and I would be paying double!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
An expensive error, which if the £20 per kg is after haggling it does make you wonder what the full charge is.

A nice money earner for Thomson

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

What was in your hand luggage to make it so heavy ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Erm...the booking details say the weights, and the FAQ,s on the web site. Did you not read them?

Who would go on holiday and not do some basic research?

We are off to Majorca the Sunday of the Everton game for 7 days and more worried about demonstrations about tourists according to the shite sun!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Did you have any check in luggage ? The allowance for that is 15KG or it was when i flew with them a few months ago.

Yes I checked in a bag at exactly 20kg which was the limit

All of the weight allowance for hold and cabin luggage is clearly on your tickets, at least it was on mine.
20kg and 5kg.

Not on the tickets at all ... the only thing they show is the max bag dimensions. It's what riles me, someone has made a conscious decision not to put it on the ticket (boarding pass) but they did put on dimensions. Of course it's in the T&C's, that really isn't the point and even if I accept I'm an utter dork (which I don't) then hitting me with £120 charge for 6kg is extortionate

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Erm...the booking details say the weights, and the FAQ,s on the web site. Did you not read them?

Who would go on holiday and not do some basic research?

We are off to Majorca the Sunday of the Everton game for 7 days and more worried about demonstrations about tourists according to the shite sun!

I'm not sure it's basic research. Yes it's there on booking which was 7 months ago and when I print the boarding passes it says hand luggage must be not more than hxdxw which I knew our hand luggage to be. I've flown regularly on business/leisure all my life, I don't carry huge amounts of hand luggage and I can't recall it ever being weighed before

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
What was in your hand luggage to make it so heavy ?

Hardly anything it was only about 2/3 full! I guess the case weighs 2/3 kg? Laptop, tablet, a couple of books and a couple of pairs of shoes that didn't go into checked bag. That was about it

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I agree that the hand luggage should be limited, the amount of time I have been bashed on the legs with people trying to get their suitcases up the aisle and then whinging they cannot get them in the overhead locker.

I don't however agree with charges for suitcases in the hold.

Not on the tickets at all ... the only thing they show is the max bag dimensions. It's what riles me, someone has made a conscious decision not to put it on the ticket (boarding pass) but they did put on dimensions. Of course it's in the T&C's, that really isn't the point and even if I accept I'm an utter dork (which I don't) then hitting me with £120 charge for 6kg is extortionate

This was on my E-Ticket from Thomson:

Luggage Allowance
Your luggage allowance, including any extra kilos you’ve already paid for, is printed on the flight ticket page. Please bear in mind no single item of luggage can top 23kg and anything over that must be packed in a separate bag. If you exceed your luggage allowance, you’ll be charged. You’re also allowed one piece of hand luggage. Size-wise, it should be 55cmx40cmx20cm or smaller and weigh no more than 5kg. If you’re on a Premier, Premier Families, Holiday Village, A la Carte, Sensimar/Couples, Platinum, Lakes & Mountains Platinum, Sensatori, Thomson Family Life/Thomson Family Resort, Falcon Premier or Cruise holiday, or have chosen a Premium upgrade for your longhaul flight with Thomson Airways your hand luggage allowance is boosted to 7kg. If you’re not flying with Thomson Airways your hand luggage is 5kg, regardless of the type of holiday you’ve booked.
If you’ve booked to take sports equipment with you, bulky items such as surf and windsurf boards won’t be allowed on our coach transfers, so we recommend you arrange a separate transfer. If you’re flying with Thomson Airways, and some other airlines, not only can you bring a pushchair but we also give under-2’s a free 10kg luggage allowance. It doesn’t need to be booked in advance- it’s automatically added to your tickets.

Aug 23, 2011
Hardly anything it was only about 2/3 full! I guess the case weighs 2/3 kg? Laptop, tablet, a couple of books and a couple of pairs of shoes that didn't go into checked bag. That was about it

It might have been cheaper to throw the books away and buy more when through passport control but it does seem excessive.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
BA's weight limit on cabin baggage is the same as for checked baggage (23kg), but with smaller dimensions obviously. It's not rigorously enforced either (wish it was - as [MENTION=1958]Gazwag[/MENTION] says the twunts that insist on taking pretty big suitcases on and then trying to cram them into the lockers get on my nerves). Easyjet are the same but they only allow a single item - almost always a row at departures, particularly with women being told they can't have hand luggage and a handbag...................

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here