Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brace yourselves over Stokes...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Press going for it. Express and Sun running a video of him mocking Harvey Price :nono:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Not at all as I dont care about my post count its only other who worry about it but my point is had you and others like you not mentioned it nobody would have been any the wiser so you did him no favours, whether it be by design or not.

It's published on the Sun site... I'd imagine a post on page 15 of an NSC thread is hardly going to be the thing that pushes it viral you savage.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He'll come through this, eventually, a stronger and hopefully wiser character.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Not contents with knocking a man when he is down he now starts a new thread about it.:ffsparr:

I'm not sure that Stokes deserves any consideration for his feelings after watching his Harvey piss take video. The guy's obviously a complete knob. What sort of person thinks that sort of behaviour is remotely funny apart from the laughing sycophants he clearly surrounds himself with. Behaving like that in the first place is bad enough but to consider it hilarious enough to be worthy of filming is just sad and pathetic. I think he deserves as much embarassment as that video brings him. It wasn't even as if he was being secretly filmed and then set up as his little performance was quite clearly for the benefit of the camera.
As far as the fight video was concerned I was prepared to accept there were extenuating circumstances, but the Harvey video just exposed him for the unpleasant and unfunny individual he obviously is.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
He'll come through this, eventually, a stronger and hopefully wiser character.

Lucky he's a good cricketerist.

In any other walk of life he'd be out on his arse and scrapping about for a job. He needs to take a long hard look at where his decisions are taking him. He's in his mid-20s, not 17.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I'm not sure that Stokes deserves any consideration for his feelings after watching his Harvey piss take video. The guy's obviously a complete knob. What sort of person thinks that sort of behaviour is remotely funny apart from the laughing sycophants he clearly surrounds himself with. Behaving like that in the first place is bad enough but to consider it hilarious enough to be worthy of filming is just sad and pathetic. I think he deserves as much embarassment as that video brings him. It wasn't even as if he was being secretly filmed and then set up as his little performance was quite clearly for the benefit of the camera.
As far as the fight video was concerned I was prepared to accept there were extenuating circumstances, but the Harvey video just exposed him for the unpleasant and unfunny individual he obviously is.

Couldn't agree more, I hadn't seen the video where he was mocking Harvey before, if he wasn't expecting a negative reaction from this, let alone the violence then he is even more stupid than first thought.
Being a popular figure in sport or the media does not afford you such luxuries, it seems all round that he is not a very nice individual.
It's not about winning the Ashes and the people who are bleating on about that should have a word with themselves.
English cricket will survive this and other, more deserving talents will emerge, get rid and move on.
One man is not bigger than the sport.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I don't expect the England verdict until the conclusion of any legal action to avoid influencing any outcome of that.
Assuming that England come down hard and remive his central contract and ban from selection for some length the interest then turns to his IPL pisition. If he is free to travel to India and is pucked for the IPL he will without any England duties be free to play for the whole tournament and therefore won't be too much out of pocket.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I always thought Bayliss was old school. I thought the punishment would be along the lines of 'Straussy, Tell Ben to calm down a bit old chap'

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is well above Bayliss's call. You'd imagine he's doing everything to make sure Stokes is in Australia.

In the 'good old days' you could say Stokes was doing much the same.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
You can see 1 of them has a bottle & tries to use it at start.

+ now reported he may have been defending against 2 homophobes - which makes it all alright then to the PC brigade.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

+ now reported he may have been defending against 2 homophobes - which makes it all alright then to the PC brigade.

A player who has already been thrown off an England tour in his career for 'persistent late night drinking' appears to have been at it again. He has a problem.

The incident is a matter for the courts. The ECB needs to get Ben Stokes in the best possible shape to enjoy a long and fruitful career as one of the best players in the world rather than risk his long term future for a possible pay off in the next 3 months. You don't have to look too far for the ECB not providing the right level of care for its players and their careers suffering as a result of it - Trott, Flintoff, Harmison and Trescothick are 4 of recent vintage that had their careers adversely affected by potentially manageable off field issues.

It's time for them to prove they can get something complex like this right.

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
The people who care are those paying him hundreds of thousands of pounds to represent their brands / the ECB. You take that money, you live by their rules.

Exactly my point. You think you own him like a product. Load of balls. He's a person some good, some bad like the rest of us.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

I don't believe the latest homophobe slant. I think it's just a desperate and cynical attempt by Stokes to portray himself as some sort of knight in shining armour standing up for the vulnerable. So we're expected to believe that he is a man of such strong moral conviction that he is prepared to risk a GBH charge to take a stand against the persecution of gays, while also considering it perfectly acceptable to publicly mock disabled children. Do me a favour. The man has just sunk to new depths with this latest desperate claim. It's despicable that he's now trying to exploit the genuine homophobia that gays have to endure for his own self interest.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
(For transparency: I'm an Aussie born and bred, and will support the Aussies during the Ashes. But I'd say exactly the same about an Aussie player as I'm about to say about Stokes).

I think Stokes is going to miss the Ashes, one way or another. Either the ECB will block him going on disciplinary grounds, or he'll be tied up in police investigations / court proceedings. I certainly don't expect him to travel with the rest of the team when they leave.

From what we've seen, and heard, so far my opinion is that the initial sequence of events his actions were justified on grounds of self defence (which includes defending others). You can see the guy he went after has a bottle, and clear intent to use it as a weapon. Unfortunately for Stokes, however, the "self defence" defence also requires that any actions taken be a "reasonable use of force". Once the other guys were backing off, Stokes' actions in following them and then throwing the punch that decked the guy cannot be classed as reasonable use of force. At this point Stokes has switched from being the defender to being the aggressor, so he's going to find a self defence argument hard to justify.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't believe the latest homophobe slant. I think it's just a desperate and cynical attempt by Stokes to portray himself as some sort of knight in shining armour standing up for the vulnerable. So we're expected to believe that he is a man of such strong moral conviction that he is prepared to risk a GBH charge to take a stand against the persecution of gays, while also considering it perfectly acceptable to publicly mock disabled children. Do me a favour. The man has just sunk to new depths with this latest desperate claim. It's despicable that he's now trying to exploit the genuine homophobia that gays have to endure for his own self interest.

Wasnt it suggested that he was standing up for two gay fellows being subjected to taunts and abuse from the very outset so it is not s desperate plea to seek support,.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here