Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brace yourselves over Stokes...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm not going to follow the link as it's that scummy paper but how can those non-humans get away with publishing stuff like that preducing any possible trial.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I was listening to David Gower earlier talking about this earlier. He was saying that Ian Botham was a bit of a liability on a night out, but you'd accept his behaviour as he always performed on the pitch. And that Stokes is the same.

The difference these days is that everyone has the ability to record events like these on their phone and stick it straight onto the internet for the world to see. I fear that this will be more than a slap on wrist the video looks pretty damning, which could well mean no Stokes at the Ashes. Bugger.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
....I remember Botham getting absolutely flamed for allegedly shagging a former Miss Barbados and 'breaking a bed', and allegedly smoking a bit of dope, and liking a beer or two. Fred also disgraced himself, but only by falling off a ****ing pedalo when ratarsed.

This is a completely different level of twatishness by the look of it from the 'new ITB'. Regardless of provocation he's made a colossal error of judgement. Incredibly, incredibly stupid boy.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
The problem for Stokes here is that he seems to continue the scrap after the other lads have seen the are not in the same league and back off however he continues after them and punches the guy to the floor. Very daft and could be a major dent to his career and even police charges. No chance of going to the Ashes IMO

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Okay just watched the full clip after a rather tedious advert and yes he is totally ****ed. What an idiot. Must be looking at a custodial sentence for this.

Last edited:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Stokes seemed pretty keen to keep that going when the other two had given up. No context of course but he had proved his point half way through that. Must have been pretty stoked. Silly boy. Stand him down for the tour

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's a very short clip. Why? Is that because actually if you saw the rest of it it would be three men attacking him and then him retaliating/defending himself? Might not be, but from that clip you really can't say what has happened other than he has a great right hand.

Correct. The first thing the police will be doing this morning is ask for the whole, unedited footage obtained by The Sun for their investigation. And that may or may not show things in a different light to this version.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not an issue for Stokes or the England team at all. If this incident does reach Court, all Stokes needs to do is use the Steven Gerrard defence and say that he attacked the other person in self defence because he thought he was about to be attacked by him,

Case dismissed, Stokes flies to Australia and destroys the Aussies.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Well, if Tomer's getting 3 game ban for his wayward step indiscretion, can see Stokes getting major convictions. Yes, FA very different to CPS.
Would like to hear #Happypig's Beak experience for dealing with something like this. Custodial or suspended and can he leave the country for ABH [or is this GBH]?

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I am dismayed.

An interview in the Times last Saturday.....

"When opposition teams sledge him – that is, try to make him lose concentration at the crease by winding him up – the only worry his England team-mates have is for the wellbeing of the sledger. When the Australian wicketkeeper Brad Haddin once tried this, the England spinner Graeme Swann took him to one side and suggested it might not be a sensible way to proceed, on balance. When Haddin asked why, Swann explained, “Because he’ll f***ing kill you, mate.”

When I ask Stokes how close his altercations on the pitch have come to turning physical he gives a short, ambiguous laugh and answers in a way that sounds as if he means the opposite: “There’s adrenaline there, but I’d never get close to punching someone. It’s the heat of the moment. Trying to be the bloke to get the wicket that will change the game back in our favour.”

It was when he was 13 and he broke his hand punching a fire door after getting out in a cricket match that his temper tantrums first exhibited themselves. That red mist episode was repeated more dramatically in the West Indies in 2014, when he fractured his wrist after punching a changing-room locker. After that his England team-mates started calling him Rocky and The Hurt Locker, and he worried that they would think he had a “tapped head”. Do they still tease him about the locker incident? “It comes up every now and again, yeah.”

I ask him whether he sees a shrink about his anger issues. “We have a team psychologist available on match days,” he says carefully, “but I haven’t spoken to him about it lately. We have normal conversations. He doesn’t force it on you.” He stares at his feet. “But yeah, I have to make sure I keep a lid on it.”

It’s the reason Stokes’s sponsor, Red Bull, is all over him, too. “It’s the full-on for me,” he says. “I drink it during matches for hydration. I always drank it, even as a kid. And it does mix well with Jägermeister.” Indeed, he’s a legend in that respect, once claiming he lost count after 20 Jägerbombs. When was the last time he had a Jägerbomb night? He purses his lips as he thinks. “Probably after Edgbaston.”

He acquired a bad-boy reputation after he was sent home from a tour in Australia in 2013, after ignoring a curfew and going out drinking. Presumably he no longer drinks alcohol during a five-day Test? “Yeah, why not? We’re grown men, go out for dinner, have a few pints. I’m 26, not 14. I don’t have to drink Diet Cokes with dinner.”

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
He will make a fortune playing in plenty of T20 series after his exploits in India, so won't need to worry financially and these tournaments will in fact use the bad boy image to their advantage.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
When will professional sportsmen learn that being on the street pissed up at 2am is a bad idea ??

When will anyone learn this? not just sportsmen! this has been going on in our towns and city's for decades now, ********s getting tanked up and fighting! people are getting killed because of it and it still has not got any better!....... FFS I blame the parents & society!! ...........oh and Jeremy Corbyn! .....he went to Glastonbury....did a speech to our youth and now they are all alcoholic street fighters!!! ........ mark my words....next week it will be CH fault!!.............bring back conscription......bring back the Birch......bring back hanging!!!! POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!! Citizen_smith.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stokes can consider himself very lucky he wasn't wearing a football shirt.

He'd be looking at 3-5 years if someone was chanting!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here