Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brace yourselves over Stokes...

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Exactly my point. You think you own him like a product. Load of balls. He's a person some good, some bad like the rest of us.

No I don't think that I own him.

You asked "who cares what he's done in his own time 36 hours before"

I said the people who care are those who pay him hundreds of thousands of pounds to represent their team / product. And that if you take that money, you have to accept to dance to their tune. And their tune is that they would rather you didn't get caught on camera knocking seven shades of sh*t out of someone, justified or not.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't believe the latest homophobe slant. I think it's just a desperate and cynical attempt by Stokes to portray himself as some sort of knight in shining armour standing up for the vulnerable. So we're expected to believe that he is a man of such strong moral conviction that he is prepared to risk a GBH charge to take a stand against the persecution of gays, while also considering it perfectly acceptable to publicly mock disabled children. Do me a favour. The man has just sunk to new depths with this latest desperate claim. It's despicable that he's now trying to exploit the genuine homophobia that gays have to endure for his own self interest.

Has he said it himself? Who released the latest news about it?

I hope you never serve on a jury, because you've got him hung drawn and quartered already on very little evidence.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
You can see 1 of them has a bottle & tries to use it at start.

+ now reported he may have been defending against 2 homophobes - which makes it all alright then to the PC brigade.

If true could be due an award rather than a prosecution . , As for the other matter may it be interpreted as a Harvey tribute or solidarity attempt rather than a mocking or insultive video clip .

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
No I don't think that I own him.

You asked "who cares what he's done in his own time 36 hours before"

I said the people who care are those who pay him hundreds of thousands of pounds to represent their team / product. And that if you take that money, you have to accept to dance to their tune. And their tune is that they would rather you didn't get caught on camera knocking seven shades of sh*t out of someone, justified or not.

Well let's agree to differ. I. believe everyone has the right to a private life no matter who pays them and how much. I've said elsewhere My view is he defended himself from someone with a bottle. Handbags.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
From what we've seen, and heard, so far my opinion is that the initial sequence of events his actions were justified on grounds of self defence (which includes defending others). You can see the guy he went after has a bottle, and clear intent to use it as a weapon. Unfortunately for Stokes, however, the "self defence" defence also requires that any actions taken be a "reasonable use of force". Once the other guys were backing off, Stokes' actions in following them and then throwing the punch that decked the guy cannot be classed as reasonable use of force. At this point Stokes has switched from being the defender to being the aggressor, so he's going to find a self defence argument hard to justify.

This /\/\/\

A lad I work with has a mate - lets call him Tom (because I've no idea what his actual name is).

Tom was in a local pub last year, when another local man, an absolute scrote by all accounts, started on him. A couple of seconds of handbags and they went back to their respective evenings.

When Tom left the pub an hour later, the other guy was waiting in the shadows, to punch him in the head, without warning. A brief fight followed, and Tom put the other guy on the deck. Then, as he walked away (and he'll regret this for a mighty long time) Tom gave the guy one last hard boot.

Tom is currently serving 18 months for GBH.

True story.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Has he said it himself? Who released the latest news about it?

I hope you never serve on a jury, because you've got him hung drawn and quartered already on very little evidence.

Accusing me of having him hung drawn and quartered is taking what I said totally out of context. I was merely pointing out the obvious disparity between a man who openly mocks a child with severe physical and learning disabilities for other peoples' entertainment to then allegedly standing up for victims of homophobia.
As far as evidence is concerned I have seen the Harvey video with my own eyes so that is not in dispute. I have also seen various reports that he told friends he was incenced by homophobic taunts which he witnessed.
I should make clear to avoid any confusion that my comments did not in any way condemn his actions on the night but merely implied that if the homophobe argument was offered as a defence it would not in my eyes be very credible unless of course the victims of that abuse came forward as witnesses.
As far as my hanging drawing and quartering him with very little evidence if you refer back to one of my earlier posts you will see that I state quite clearly that I was prepared to accept that there may have been extenuating circumstances on the night in question which I still believe so your accusations that I have condemned him for the attack are way off the mark.
However it does not alter my opinion of him as a thoroughly unpleasant individual regardless of the motive for his actions which again I do not believe had anything to do with homophobia unless credible evidence emerges to that effect.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Accusing me of having him hung drawn and quartered is taking what I said totally out of context. I was merely pointing out the obvious disparity between a man who openly mocks a child with severe physical and learning disabilities for other peoples' entertainment to then allegedly standing up for victims of homophobia.
As far as evidence is concerned I have seen the Harvey video with my own eyes so that is not in dispute. I have also seen various reports that he told friends he was incenced by homophobic taunts which he witnessed.
I should make clear to avoid any confusion that my comments did not in any way condemn his actions on the night but merely implied that if the homophobe argument was offered as a defence it would not in my eyes be very credible unless of course the victims of that abuse came forward as witnesses.
As far as my hanging drawing and quartering him with very little evidence if you refer back to one of my earlier posts you will see that I state quite clearly that I was prepared to accept that there may have been extenuating circumstances on the night in question which I still believe so your accusations that I have condemned him for the attack are way off the mark.
However it does not alter my opinion of him as a thoroughly unpleasant individual regardless of the motive for his actions which again I do not believe had anything to do with homophobia unless credible evidence emerges to that effect.

Ah so, thoroughly unpleasant people are unpleasant in all things eh?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
This /\/\/\

A lad I work with has a mate - lets call him Tom (because I've no idea what his actual name is).

Tom was in a local pub last year, when another local man, an absolute scrote by all accounts, started on him. A couple of seconds of handbags and they went back to their respective evenings.

When Tom left the pub an hour later, the other guy was waiting in the shadows, to punch him in the head, without warning. A brief fight followed, and Tom put the other guy on the deck. Then, as he walked away (and he'll regret this for a mighty long time) Tom gave the guy one last hard boot.

Tom is currently serving 18 months for GBH.

True story.

FWIW, I play club cricket with an ex-cop who shares the same opinion as well. Based on what we've seen, that final punch can't be defended on grounds of "self defence". He's switched over to being the aggressor at that point. He's going to have a hard time convincing the police, CPS, and eventually a jury that he had a genuine belief that he was still acting in self defence.

Whether or not we believe his initial actions were justified (I personally believe they were, up to a point), the fact is the law is pretty specific on what can and can't be used in a "self defence" defence. Had he stopped throwing punches when his friends urged him to, he'd be in a bit of disciplinary (ECB) and media hot water, but the cops probably wouldn't be interested (because a. the injury wouldn't have happened, and b. the self-defence angle would have been strong).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
FWIW, I play club cricket with an ex-cop who shares the same opinion as well. Based on what we've seen, that final punch can't be defended on grounds of "self defence". He's switched over to being the aggressor at that point. He's going to have a hard time convincing the police, CPS, and eventually a jury that he had a genuine belief that he was still acting in self defence.

Whether or not we believe his initial actions were justified (I personally believe they were, up to a point), the fact is the law is pretty specific on what can and can't be used in a "self defence" defence. Had he stopped throwing punches when his friends urged him to, he'd be in a bit of disciplinary (ECB) and media hot water, but the cops probably wouldn't be interested (because a. the injury wouldn't have happened, and b. the self-defence angle would have been strong).

They're taking their time charging him, if it is so clear cut.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
They're taking their time charging him, if it is so clear cut.

The police will be conducting a thorough investigation before passing evidence to the CPS. It is the CPS who will issue charges if they believe there is a good chance of a conviction.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The police will be conducting a thorough investigation before passing evidence to the CPS. It is the CPS who will issue charges if they believe there is a good chance of a conviction.

I know. Charging decisions can be done within 24 hours especially with cctv.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I know. Charging decisions can be done within 24 hours especially with cctv.

The police have issued a fresh appeal for two specific witnesses to come forward. Maybe they want to question them first before pressing charges. The appeal reads:
"Our enquiries into the disorder in the Queens Road/Clifton Triangle area of Bristol in the early hours of Monday are continuing. We believe there are two specific witnesses, both men, with information about what happened in the moments prior to the disorder who are yet to come forward and we'd appeal for them to do so as soon as possible."

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
The police have issued a fresh appeal for two specific witnesses to come forward. Maybe they want to question them first before pressing charges. The appeal reads:
"Our enquiries into the disorder in the Queens Road/Clifton Triangle area of Bristol in the early hours of Monday are continuing. We believe there are two specific witnesses, both men, with information about what happened in the moments prior to the disorder who are yet to come forward and we'd appeal for them to do so as soon as possible."
No pressure on the two, (whoever they are) all of England depends on you to get Stokesey out of this mess.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Only just seen video.
Stokes is a f**king idiot, I hope he gets everything he deserves thrown at him.
It pratts like this, that the younger generation of sports beginners will deem is the responsible way to act.
Absolutely mad :angry:

I'm pretty sure that Stokes isn't the first or the last sportsperson to act like a ****. The difference is, in bygone era's camera phones didn't exist! Also, he hasn't taken the piss out of him. He's just repeated what Harvey has said!! He's not mocking him. Massive overreaction to be honest.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Lucky he's a good cricketerist.

In any other walk of life he'd be out on his arse and scrapping about for a job. He needs to take a long hard look at where his decisions are taking him. He's in his mid-20s, not 17.

Mate, if he wasn't a professional cricketer, this wouldn't have hit the headlines! He wouldn't be out on his arse and struggling for a job, he'd be cracking on with his 9-5 going about hi business.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm pretty sure that Stokes isn't the first or the last sportsperson to act like a ****. The difference is, in bygone era's camera phones didn't exist! Also, he hasn't taken the piss out of him. He's just repeated what Harvey has said!! He's not mocking him. Massive overreaction to be honest.

I have to disagree, not an overreaction, just my honest opinion. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here