Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brace yourselves over Stokes...

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
If he is cleared and goes to Oz, I fear for him to be honest. Every time he goes out for a drink some brave, pissed up Aussie will be looking to wind him up and trigger a reaction, let alone what sledging he is going to get on the pitch.

Solution: don't go out drinking.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
If he is cleared and goes to Oz, I fear for him to be honest. Every time he goes out for a drink some brave, pissed up Aussie will be looking to wind him up and trigger a reaction, let alone what sledging he is going to get on the pitch. .

No chance he will be 'going out for a drink' in the way he has done in the past, he will be smothered in Security Guards every time he leaves the Hotel.

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
He's in his 20s and he likes a party. Give him a break. If he turns up and does the business on the field who cares what he's done in his own time 36 hours before?

This whole owning celebs 24hours a day is unhlesthy for them and those that want to know what they're doing all the time.

He was attcked with a bottle and reacted in self defence. He'll likely be dragged over the coals for it but in my view it's no big deal.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The coward armed with the bottle will probably end up on i'm a celebrity bake me off dancing on ice and win Lithuania's got talent .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The coward armed with the bottle will probably end up on i'm a celebrity bake me off dancing on ice and win Lithuania's got talent .

Probably not if it is true that they were dishing out homophobic abuse at a couple of gay blokes which is why Stokes stepped in ?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
He's in his 20s and he likes a party. Give him a break. If he turns up and does the business on the field who cares what he's done in his own time 36 hours before?

I care if his career is done at 30 like Flintoff. He has the talent to be the best cricketer in the world for years.

I'm sure he'll care as well once he's done.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
To be fair the first guy starts waving a bottle, Stokes punches him and they fall over. The guy with bottle's mate grabs stokes and starts swinging at him, so he has two people attacking him. I think in a situation like that you're entitled to make sure there not going to come back at you. And backing away is very different to turning and walking away which they didn't do. I appreciate we may well disagree on this, but I don't think Stokes was the aggressor and frankly as mentioned before I'm pleased he knocked that lad out.

Yeah, I do agree with this - its just that in pretty much every other fight I have seen like this, once the initial aggressors back off, the guys mates will hold him back and there'll be a lot of bravado given out but the fight is over. In this case nobody held Stokes back, I'm sure Hales and the others will regret not just grabbing him before he delivers the knock-out punch.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Well, if Tomer's getting 3 game ban for his wayward step indiscretion, can see Stokes getting major convictions. Yes, FA very different to CPS.
Would like to hear #Happypig's Beak experience for dealing with something like this. Custodial or suspended and can he leave the country for ABH [or is this GBH]?

Right then....
Firstly there's a lot of speculation as to whether he was defending himself/others (both equally valid as a defence to the charge). He has been arrested, not charged, and it's ABH because of the injuries caused; Common Assault is touching/hitting that doesn't cause much of an injury, Actual Bodily Harm is where an injury is caused, Grevious Bodily Harm is when there is a serious injury.
He will have been bailed by the police while they make enquiries to try and find out what happened, especially event preceding the video. Once they've concluded their investigation, if they think he's committed an offence, they pass it to the CPS who decide whether there's a likelihood of a conviction. Only then would he be charged (and the level of charge can vary, it could be that they prosecute him for common assault if he agrees to plead guilty).
As to the video, I've seen dozens of these; sometimes it's all handbags and slaps, sometimes someone lands a decent punch.
Will he go down for it ? Maybe but unlikely. I'd take a punt that it won't even get to court.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Happens in every town centre every weekend. Don't get me wrong, he's been a VERY silly boy but career ending? Nah.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I must say, though, that I'm disappointed there's not a girl carrying her shoes shouting "Leave it Benny, 'e ain't worth it"

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
Right then....
Firstly there's a lot of speculation as to whether he was defending himself/others (both equally valid as a defence to the charge). He has been arrested, not charged, and it's ABH because of the injuries caused; Common Assault is touching/hitting that doesn't cause much of an injury, Actual Bodily Harm is where an injury is caused, Grevious Bodily Harm is when there is a serious injury.
He will have been bailed by the police while they make enquiries to try and find out what happened, especially event preceding the video. Once they've concluded their investigation, if they think he's committed an offence, they pass it to the CPS who decide whether there's a likelihood of a conviction. Only then would he be charged (and the level of charge can vary, it could be that they prosecute him for common assault if he agrees to plead guilty).
As to the video, I've seen dozens of these; sometimes it's all handbags and slaps, sometimes someone lands a decent punch.
Will he go down for it ? Maybe but unlikely. I'd take a punt that it won't even get to court.

This: Voice of reason!

Now calm down the he's a 'disgrace' brigade!!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

This whole owning celebs 24hours a day is unhlesthy for them and those that want to know what they're doing all the time.

He was attcked with a bottle and reacted in self defence. He'll likely be dragged over the coals for it but in my view it's no big deal.

The people who care are those paying him hundreds of thousands of pounds to represent their brands / the ECB. You take that money, you live by their rules.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Right then....

glad to see you use the term "handbags" which is , in this case , highly appropriate.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Looks like most of the people on here are hanging him out to dry ....like a certain sky commentator. Let's here the full facts first.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here