Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Big Six get even greedier...

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Because UK TV money is already divided in the same way?

How is that going to work?

"Please vote for less revenue and even greater imbalance because the precedent is already there for domestic rights."

I don't understand how they have convinced 3-4 clubs that this is a good idea for them. I could understand one as Everton probably think they have their spot locked down, who else thinks they have a top half position secured consistently?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
That's all well and good but what about pulling up the drawbridge and stopping relegation?

i'm sure that'll be next on the agenda.

I know which side I'd prefer us to be on if/when it happens. The day we vote for cutting off the rest of our league structure is the day we've forgotten our roots and struggles.

Isn't that how the inauguration worked, if you voted against then you'd go down and someone would replace you?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How is that going to work?

"Please vote for less revenue and even greater imbalance because the precedent is already there for domestic rights."

I don't understand how they have convinced 3-4 clubs that this is a good idea for them. I could understand one as Everton probably think they have their spot locked down, who else thinks they have a top half position secured consistently?

How did they convince clubs to agree to split UK TV revenue in the way they have?

If you think you're likely to finish in the top half of the Premier League, you'd vote for this, I imagine, as the likelihood is that you would receive a higher distribution of the money than you would under the current setup. (That's a guess based on the proposal merit payments being made in equal steps from top to bottom).

smartferndale

Mar 21, 2013
radical rethink

In the American football set up the bottom team has the first draft pick.Why?
So the lowest in the Premier table should receive the most TV money. It would make for a much more competitive league. Never happen.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
How did they convince clubs to agree to split UK TV revenue in the way they have?

If you think you're likely to finish in the top half of the Premier League, you'd vote for this, I imagine, as the likelihood is that you would receive a higher distribution of the money than you would under the current setup. (That's a guess based on the proposal merit payments being made in equal steps from top to bottom).

That's not how the inauguration worked though as far as I'm aware?

The 22 clubs were voting to be part of a breakaway league, if they did not vote for, then they were consigned to the football league (relegated) and someone would replace them in it. I don't think they had a chance to vote for the status quo, the PL would have been formed regardless without them.

This new vote is another step in stabilising the financial and league positions of a few clubs at the expense of their competitors and should be met with utter contempt. And for what purpose? The basis of their argument seems to be "Don't you want English clubs to do well in Europe?". Well frankly I couldn't give a shit and even if our clubs can't compete in Europe (which they clearly can) it is most definitely not worth disrupting our league structure for. Shame on the 4 clubs that are siding with them and trying to be part of their clique.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
It's not even 'don't you want English teams to do well in Europe', but more specifically 'don't you want these half-dozen English teams - who you don't support - to do well against Barca, Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern Munich, etc?'

The money doesn't solve that problem. Our top teams are already earning more than many of their European counterparts, it's just that we aren't doing as good a job with that money. Or we're being ripped off, if you prefer that narrative. They'd just get even more ripped off.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Top 6 want to end the equal sharing of international broadcasting income.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41431359

Because that'd make things much fairer..

Premier League boss Richard Scudamore has embarked on a week of lobbying in a bid to heal a split between clubs over the distribution of the next round of multi-billion pound overseas TV rights.

It comes ahead of a meeting of all 20 clubs next Wednesday in London.

Under pressure from the six richest clubs, the chairman has proposed ending the equal sharing of international broadcasting income.

The £3bn overseas deal for 2016-19 generates £39m a year for each club.

Scudamore presented his plan - which would see 35% of the revenue divided according to league position - to the other 14 clubs on Wednesday, but it has been met with resistance.

With new contracts for some international markets for 2019-22 already done and showing significant increases in value, the so-called 'Big Six' - Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea - want their greater global popularity reflected.

They are also understood to feel that the domestic TV market, currently worth £5.1bn, may have reached saturation point. It is also thought that some were 'spooked' by Leicester City's surprise Premier League win in 2015-16.

However, with the approval of 14 clubs needed to make such a change to the system (the first since 1992), Scudamore has his work cut out to broker agreement by next week.

The league is keen to reach a compromise before going into domestic rights negotiations, where worries over what the 'Big Six' could do next - if they are blocked - could create uncertainty.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The 'Big Six' - if this had been negotiated ten years ago, Man City wouldn't have been in it. Twenty years ago and Chelsea wouldn't have been there. Instead it would have been Leeds and Newcastle set up for life. Our league is always fluid and these changes serve to set in stone the current hegemony, we have to resist it. Threats that they'll break away are empty

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
(That's a guess based on the proposal merit payments being made in equal steps from top to bottom).

That's the way the domestic TV rights are split, and that seems fair enough. If 65% of overseas rights were awarded evenly, and the remainder on 'merit', the following would arise.

EPL Proposed International Rights Impact.JPG

Richard Scudamore is claiming that under his proposals 13 clubs will be better off, no doubt in order to tempt some of the smaller clubs to vote for the deal. This seems pretty tricky to implement. If you have a cake that is cut into equal slices, and then propose to cut it another way in which 13 slices will be bigger and 7 smaller, some are going to end up with little more than crumbs, although the 65% equal distribution does give them a decent de minimis.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's not even 'don't you want English teams to do well in Europe', but more specifically 'don't you want these half-dozen English teams - who you don't support - to do well against Barca, Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern Munich, etc?'

The money doesn't solve that problem. Our top teams are already earning more than many of their European counterparts, it's just that we aren't doing as good a job with that money. Or we're being ripped off, if you prefer that narrative. They'd just get even more ripped off.

Exactly, the 'Big 6' are currently 1st, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 12th in terms of income globally.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Shouldn't ALL tv revenue just be given to Sheffield Wednesday?

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I think it’s time to have a super league of top European clubs,let the so called big clubs play each other. As far as I’m concerned the championship is the best league. Any team on any day can beat anyone. I rather watch that o Tv then the premier league

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here