Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JC speaks

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No one told me May had called an election..

I thought Tories conferences were sycophantic, but today we reached a completely new level

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maybe im a bit naive but isnt 'having a party' really quite stupid?

I voted Labour because this time round, their manifesto appealed to me more. Im not a labour 'supporter' and they are not 'my party'.

Last time I voted tory.

I just cannot fathom how people have alliegences. Doesnt that defeat the whole point? Surely you should start neutral each time and let a party convince you to vote for them, otherwise you are voting for the same party no matter what they do?

And then, the same people who have 'a party' argue between each other despite neither person ever being willing to change 'their party'. Odd.

Absolutely right - great post.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
I've not been his biggest fan but the last election changed my opinion of him, another 2 weeks of that campaign and we would now of had a Labour government. They seem to capture the mood of the country and made the government look ridiculous with their lack of any real policies. I can't see much has changed since the election, Theresa May looking more like a fragile old lady caught in the headlights, Boris the bafoon saying whatever comes into his tiny biggoted mind, Jacob Ress Mogg making a the most Etonian like Tory look like a normal human and David Davies pissing off the whole of Europe with his smug grin and lack of any knowledge what he's doing.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

I voted Labour because this time round, their manifesto appealed to me more. Im not a labour 'supporter' and they are not 'my party'.

Last time I voted tory.

I just cannot fathom how people have alliegences. Doesnt that defeat the whole point? Surely you should start neutral each time and let a party convince you to vote for them, otherwise you are voting for the same party no matter what they do?

And then, the same people who have 'a party' argue between each other despite neither person ever being willing to change 'their party'. Odd.

Quite right.

Vote Caroline!

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Absolutely. We see it on here, on both sides, people so entrenched that they can never show any appreciation for "the other side" regardless. They'll just sit on their hands and wait for the next opportunity to snipe. The entrenched Tories will NEVER vote Labour and the entrenched Labourites will NEVER vote Conservative.

I've voted for all three major parties, and my last vote went to the Lib Dems. I agree wholeheartedly with something my very learned friend [MENTION=12947]Lincoln Imp[/MENTION] said elsewhere recently: if more people believed the Lib Dems could win, they would.

You're just politically lost.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Last time I voted tory.

:thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Last time I voted tory.

I'm in complete agreement. I vote for the candidate, rather than the party, and the one I feels represents me most at the time. I have voted for all three main parties in my lifetime (not all at the same time, Trigaaar)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Absolutely. We see it on here, on both sides, people so entrenched that they can never show any appreciation for "the other side" regardless.

I can't remember the last time either Labour or the Conservatives did anything worth showing appreciation for...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You're just politically lost.

Because the Lib Dems didn't win the election? Maybe, although I never expected them to.

More relevantly, I'm not running around claiming some sort of victory, which was what many in and around the Labour Party were doing, despite most definitely coming second by every measure going.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Tory manifesto plan to steal from the poor and further feed the rich have been stopped in their tracks by Labour.

Cruel Dementia Tax. SCRAPPED.
Grammar Schools plans. DITCHED.
Threat to basic pensions. ABANDONED.
Withdrawal of winter fuel payments. DUMPED.
Fox Hunting pledge. DROPPED.
End to free school meals. BINNED.

Moshe can you do us all a favour and post your views elsewhere . would love to hear what you have to say from a footballing point of view but i really dont want to have to read your love in for the labour party or whoever else you care to support .

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Because the Lib Dems didn't win the election? Maybe, although I never expected them to.

More relevantly, I'm not running around claiming some sort of victory, which was what many in and around the Labour Party were doing, despite most definitely coming second by every measure going.

It's like us claiming that we won the Championship because Newcastle were a much bigger club and should have won it by more.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
- Apply rent controls.
- Reduce the incentive to create affordable housing.
- Reduce number of affordable properties to rent.
- Rents generally increase for most people as the ratio of supply/demand worsens.
- Another well meaning policy makes things worse through unintended consequences.

Rent control actually drives up the price of most rents by restricting the supply of new units onto the market. While some renters may get a bargain, most people never get access to rent-controlled flats. Once people move into a rent-controlled place, they are incentivised to never move out, because it is so cheap...

Under rent control, landlords and property owners know not to create any new housing units that fall under rent control, because they won't be able to maximise their investment. So they build as few units as possible in that category...

The result is that developers build only high-end units for the luxury market, because there is no money in creating affordable housing if landlords can never raise the rent. Developers get rich. And rich people get all the best new housing.

In turn, this magnifies an already bad situation for the not-rich: By definition, every luxury unit built is a more modest unit not being built...

The UK used to build more than 200,000 new homes a year. Now we build only about 100,000. Housing supply is the real factor in setting rent prices.

- & rent controls will result in a reduction in the supply of affordable homes.

No, rent control does not work — it actually benefits the rich and hurts the poor:
http://uk.businessinsider.com/does-...-increases-rent-prices-for-most-people-2015-9

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
A little too right wing for my liking , where were the re education and work camps for rich Tories and Toffs ? Where was the basic wage where everyone earns the same no matter what they do ? Where was the policy to turn all the royal estates into Turnip farms ? Where was the policy to confiscate anyones savings over £10k and donate it to the state ? Why no death penalty for all the right wing trolls and haters ?

A lot more work to do to make Labour electable in my book.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Ready to f--k the country up, kill business, taxes and interest rates to soar, borrowings to soar, dinosaur union leaders to be brought back to life, shambolic renationalisations etc.etc.
Where the hell will the money come from for all the promises 'the deluded' believe their saviour will deliver? Even Corbyn and McDonnell may struggle to raise all the dosh they require.
Heaven help anyone with stockmarket investments and I am sure pension funds will be delighted to hear that McDonnell wants to renationalise various industries without adequate compensation for shareholders.
Heaven help all of us if these fantasy figures gain power, and I haven't even started on their terrorist sympathies and apparent antipathy towards the country's defences.

Because everything is just going great with this lot in charge!

Since the financial crash Labour, Torie/Lib Dems and now the Torie/DUP have squeezed the most vulnerable in our society in an attempt to bail out their friends in the establishment enough is enough it has not worked We need to try something new under JC the Labour Party has returned to its routes and the better for it

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I heard on the news that in his speech today he was going to tell the current government to move aside for Labour.

Not sure he gets how our democracy works.
It currently works by being bought for £1Bn .

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

Not true Bozza according to the BBC fact check

Jeremy Corbyn said at the start of his speech: "Against all predictions in June we won the largest increase in the Labour vote since 1945 and achieved Labour’s best vote for a generation."

It is true that this was the largest increase in the vote since 1945. Labour made a 9.8% gain compared with 2015. In 1945 under Clement Attlee, Labour made an 11% gain.

The best share of the vote Labour achieved before this was in 2001 (16 years ago) under Tony Blair when they got 42% of the vote. Under Jeremy Corbyn in 2017 they got 41% .

If talking about raw numbers, this was the most votes Labour had received since 1997 (12.88m people in 2017, 13.52m in 1997).

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
- Apply rent controls.
- Rents generally increase for most people as the ratio of supply/demand worsens.
- Another well meaning policy makes things worse through unintended consequences.

No, rent control does not work — it actually benefits the rich and hurts the poor:
http://uk.businessinsider.com/does-...-increases-rent-prices-for-most-people-2015-9

They introduced rent control in Berlin, June 2015. Its been a disaster and has had completely the reverse effectm, rents have soared

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
- Apply rent controls.

:thumbsup:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I've not read much past the first page or two, but does anyone honestly believe that any of them are better than the others? They are all totally useless at best, and orrupt at worst. But whichever way you look at it, I think I could do a massively better job by just getting a load of random NSC posters together and forming a government and 'doing our best'

Enrest would be my SPIN doctor.
Dick Head is head of comms.
Chicken Run is in charge of the money.
LVGull is foreign sec as we need a bit of optimism.
Etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here