Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Webb Memorial Plaque

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I see it needs 1250 signatures to get the possibility of a full Council debate. So only c1, 000 to go, albeit I'm sure they will approve this modest proposal now their attention has been drawn to it by Horace.

Full council debates
If you collect more than 1,250 signatures it can be debated by the full Council. This
means that the issue raised in the petition will be discussed at a meeting which all
councillors can attend before a decision is made about how it will respond. Petitions
that meet or exceed the 1,250 target must be submitted or confirmed 10 working
days ahead of the meeting in order to verify the number and provide adequate
notification.
The council will try to consider the petition at its next meeting. This may not always
be possible and the petition will then be considered at the subsequent meeting.
The petition organiser will be given 3 minutes to present the petition at the
meeting. The appropriate Committee Chair will then respond before the petition is
discussed by councillors for a maximum of 15 minutes. They will then decide how
to respond to the petition at this meeting.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
If you do pop down there let me know if they've cleared the undergrowth to reveal a little plaque has been sitting there the past 44 years. I'd have to edit the title of the petition haha.

The undergrowth doesn't look out of control. I had a bit of a dig around and can reassure you there's no sign of a plaque, nor is the tree mentioned in the board with a history of the Goldstone Ground.

It's in a good spot, though of course tragic to look opposite and see what has become of our home. A plaque would do very nicely.

IMG_6810fdgs.jpg

HoraceHorrible

Sep 26, 2017
East Grinstead
The undergrowth doesn't look out of control. I had a bit of a dig around and can reassure you there's no sign of a plaque, nor is the tree mentioned in the board with a history of the Goldstone Ground.

It's in a good spot, though of course tragic to look opposite and see what has become of our home. A plaque would do very nicely.

View attachment 89832

That's the one. Yeah it is sad, my wife still likes to tell friends that I get teary eyed at the sight.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Mr Webb at least had his name on a bus, come on B&H council give the man the recognition he deserves...

http://history.buses.co.uk/history/fleethist/615cw.htm

Names on the buses
615 Charlie Webb

Connections with Brighton and Hove : Few men have done more for Brighton and Hove Albion than Charlie Webb, the longest-serving manager. The Irishman was in charge of the team for more than 1,200 games between 1919 and 1947. Webb, an Irishman, lived at Frith Road, Hove, where a plaque has been unveiled in his memory. He first played for Albion at West Ham on Christmas Day, 1908, and scored on his debut. In a career lasting until 1915, he scored 79 goals in 275 matches. Webb served in the First World War. He was captured and imprisoned by the Germans. While he was in captivity, he received a letter from Albion’s directors offering him the post of manager on his release. Webb, remembered by colleagues as a gentleman, built a series of fine Albion sides on a shoestring budget. On match days, all the gate money used to be taken to Frith Road and stored in a safe in the larder because the banks were not open on Saturdays. Webb even sold tickets from the house for cup ties. In September 1949 Webb was honoured with a testimonial match at the Goldstone ground between Arsenal and Portsmouth. He died in 1975 and a tree was planted opposite the ground in his memory.
2017-09-29-21-07-44-423208566.jpg

615 Scania Omnidekka carried name since delivery in July 2003, repainted in Metro 49 livery June 2007. Metro 49 branding removed May 2012. Bus sold May 2015. Metro 49 branding removed May 2012.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here