Arundel
82 people have signed, including me, will get others via FB etc

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Well done that man!

I was brought up in Goldstone Crescent and remember the planting like it was 44 years ago ... a dim hazy recollection of a grey day and blokes with flat caps and macintoshes. Probably a compete fabrication but I do remember thinking it meant little to me but seemed important to all the old farts in their 30s and upwards at the time. So today I offer my sympathies to young farts in their 40s and downwards who can't see the point ... you'll learn :wrong:

Just breaking the 100 barrier as I type.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Hello all,

in 1973 a tree was planted in Hove Park, opposite the Goldstone, in memory of Charlie Webb shortly after he died. It's currently unmarked and so far the council aren't giving us permission to put a plaque up. I've started up an e-petition on the council website asking for them to allow us, at no cost to the council, to create a memorial for a man who gave the Albion 40 years of his life.

It'd be appreciated if anyone gave a moment to sign it

https://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?Id=551&TPID=20066809&

Signed. What's the council's reasoning for not giving permission?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Done. Am i right in thinking that Charlie Webb lived in Worthing? If so could also get on to the Worthing Society about possibility of a plaque on the house?

In Carder's Seagulls History book he's described as a 'Worthing amateur' prior to signing in the 1908-09 season. Not sure if this means he played for Worthing or hailed from there?

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
In Carder's Seagulls History book he's described as a 'Worthing amateur' prior to signing in the 1908-09 season. Not sure if this means he played for Worthing or hailed from there?

Thanks for that reminder. According to Vinicombe's "Albion" Webb played for Worthing when he was 16 so presumably his parents lived in Worthing. Webb also married at St Paul's Church in Worthing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here