Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John McDowell and a run on the pound.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
R4 lead today on at 1pm (World at One ?) seems to be at fringe meetings and talking about a Labour government facing a Run on the Pound. Now there are plenty on this forum who are 'city' based and for once please try to put your own politics to one side. Said that is J/M right to express that fear ? :facepalm:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Why do you start dull threads ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A terrorist sympathiser speaks and hopefully is ignored

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
John Henry McDowell (born 7 March 1942) is a South African philosopher, formerly a fellow of University College, Oxford and now University Professor at the University of Pittsburgh. Although he has written extensively on metaphysics, epistemology, ancient philosophy, and meta-ethics, McDowell's most influential work has been in the philosophy of mind and philosophy of language. McDowell was one of three recipients of the 2010 Andrew W. Mellon Foundation's Distinguished Achievement Award and is a Fellow of both the American Academy of Arts & Sciences and the British Academy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McDowell

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
with McDonnell's economic policies, absolutely necessary. glad to hear he's thinking of it, an acknowledgement that his plans would be detrimental to the economy.

i wonder if they are war gaming the next election in 4 and half years against a more credible Conservative campaign?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Can he play LB?

s-l300.jpg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Those two keep dragging our country down with their constant moaning and winging that life isn't fair, fing sick of it.

Think its Labour are doing that, more are less preparing for doomsday if they get in.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why do you start dull threads ?
What's wrong with the thread? I heard it on the news and was surprised Labour have so little confidence in their ability to run the economy, so I assumed it was a fair discussion point.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Of course, you could argue that the pound has been vastly over valued for years and if we have a market economy, the pound will find its own level.

With us going out in the world and competing against a huge block of the EU for trade, we need a very cheap pound to compete.

Anyone remember in Yes Minister/ Prime Minister...at the end of the news that they always switched off, the newsreader always said " ...and it's been another bad day for the pound..."

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What's wrong with the thread? I heard it on the news and was surprised Labour have so little confidence in their ability to run the economy, so I assumed it was a fair discussion point.

Not necessarily that, I think it was more to do with the belief that big business would be spooked and confidence plummet...hence the pound would do the same. Pure speculation

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not necessarily that, I think it was more to do with the belief that big business would be spooked and confidence plummet...hence the pound would do the same. Pure speculation
Ok, but Labour have talked about the possibility of a run on the pound, so it's a fair discussion point isn't it? Not sure why the OP is criticised for posting it.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
R4 lead today on at 1pm (World at One ?) seems to be at fringe meetings and talking about a Labour government facing a Run on the Pound. Now there are plenty on this forum who are 'city' based and for once please try to put your own politics to one side. Said that is J/M right to express that fear ? :facepalm:

Its interesting that they're acknowledging the possibility this openly, certainly its comforting that they're not in complete denial about what could happen. Obviously we're going to need them to form a government, and I imagine that when they start re-nationalising certain industries and addressing corporate and higher-band taxation there is likely to be an economic shock in the UK. Their job is then to make sure that the impacts on the general public are minimised.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here