Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Safeguarding" - I don't get it.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Of course this situation puts lots of well meaning adults in a very difficult position. As a middle-aged bloke, if I see a small child fall over or hurt themselves in the street, or (as I have before) a small child who is clearly lost, I suppress my natural instinct to comfort or help the child, and end up looking round for a woman to step in - the risk of being accused of paedophilia by an angry parent who sees you touching or approaching their child is too great.

So I have every sympathy with schools who have to put in place 'safeguarding' procedures like this.

I wonder whether some of those people who complain about safeguarding and political correctness are also the same people who organise anti-paedophile witch-hunts (rather than letting the police and legal system do its job)... maybe not, but if they are, then I guess they are reaping what they sow.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Interesting. It was one of my daughter's teachers that told me this quite, a few years ago now too.. Maybe she just didn't like my daughter :smile:

I have to say its probably easier for a teacher to take that approach to avoid any mis-understandings.... sad though

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I have to renew my "safeguarding" every 3 yrs to stay certified to coach junior cricketers.

It guides you through the do's and do-nots. I can't check that a young boy is wearing his box, I often ask, but must accept their reply.
I've done several festivals that involve overnight stays - I wouldn't put sun cream on a kid, but I always carry some in my coaching bag with the first aid and will let him apply it to himself.
If I know it's going to be hot, I remind kids to bring; hat, water bottle & sun cream - but some forget and so do their parents.
I definitely see their well being as my duty of care first and foremost. But sometimes I fell like I'm their mum too ....

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
Different in schools. I've been told off as some of the younger kids hug me when they see me, whether they are upset or just happy. Perfectly innocent, just kids being kids. However it's now unacceptable and we've been told to tell them off and separate ourselves from them

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Why didn't you as the child's parent put suncream on your child?

I am not the parent of either child in question. From what I heard the parent did apply some but the child rubbed it off during P.E and got burned during lunch time. Anyway, applying cream in the morning will not protect the child all day, thats why people apply sun cream just before they go in the sun and re-apply frequently.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Kids can be allergic to suncream, could bring on a separate condition in an individual child etc. therefore a school cannot apply a generic bottle of sun cream to every child - medically inadvisable.

So, do the school then hold an individual bottle of suncream for each child? Again, logistically is a teacher seriously supposed to apply sun cream to each of their 30 pupils during a hot day? How do they determine which child had it applied at home?

Parents seem to want to shift responsibility and blame institutions. Apply sun cream before they leave home, send them in with a hat and suitable covering of clothing. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I wonder (edit) whether some of those people who complain about safeguarding and political correctness are also the same people who organise anti-paedophile witch-hunts (rather than letting the police and legal system do its job)... maybe not, but if they are, then I guess they are reaping what they sow.[/QUOTE]

Brilliant. And the child is still burning.......................... what a harvest.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Kids can be allergic to suncream, could bring on a separate condition in an individual child etc. therefore a school cannot apply a generic bottle of sun cream to every child - medically inadvisable.

So, do the school then hold an individual bottle of suncream for each child? Again, logistically is a teacher seriously supposed to apply sun cream to each of their 30 pupils during a hot day? How do they determine which child had it applied at home?

Parents seem to want to shift responsibility and blame institutions. Apply sun cream before they leave home, send them in with a hat and suitable covering of clothing. Shouldn't be too difficult.
This.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I am not the parent of either child in question. From what I heard the parent did apply some but the child rubbed it off during P.E and got burned during lunch time. Anyway, applying cream in the morning will not protect the child all day, thats why people apply sun cream just before they go in the sun and re-apply frequently.

Umm once a day suncream, hat or clothing to prevent sunburn?

I wonder if the parents even applied suncream before the child went to school?

I can tell you now, if we didn't have Safeguarding, the world would be a worse place!

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Our schools can't afford books or enough pencils in many cases, there are many teachers putting their hands in their pockets to feed hungry children and now you're complaining their not equipped with suncream.
I'm presuming shade was available.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
God dammit Bob. Get them out the sun.

I do. Not my child in question. He always has sun cream, hat etc in the warm weather. I even put the cream in his bag so he can put some on during the day. The child in question was a young girl of 5 years old. I just think that its the child that looses out when H&S or Safeguarding is being managed from the perspective of avoiding litigation rather that ensuring the welfare of the child.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Different in schools. I've been told off as some of the younger kids hug me when they see me, whether they are upset or just happy. Perfectly innocent, just kids being kids. However it's now unacceptable and we've been told to tell them off and separate ourselves from them

It's rubbish isn't it. 90% of abuse to children happens within their own families, including sexual abuse. Paedophilia is actually quite rare, but society has decided that children are in far greater danger now than they were when we were kids, so all these rules have to apply.

As usual, it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I do. Not my child in question. He always has sun cream, hat etc in the warm weather. I even put the cream in his bag so he can put some on during the day. The child in question was a young girl of 5 years old. I just think that its the child that looses out when H&S or Safeguarding is being managed from the perspective of avoiding litigation rather that ensuring the welfare of the child.

Absolute NONSENSE

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Our schools can't afford books or enough pencils in many cases, there are many teachers putting their hands in their pockets to feed hungry children and now you're complaining their not equipped with suncream.
I'm presuming shade was available.

Er, no. I don't expect schools to stock up on suncream. I, as many other parents did, were putting sun cream on and giving our kids spare cream for the day. My point is that if a child has not used it correctly, or wipes it off, or needs help applying it then it is in the best interests of the child wellbeing to step in and fulfil the duty of care - as a teacher/carer/responsible adult.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Quote Originally Posted by Bob'n'weave View Post

Absolute NONSENSE

Of course, your absolutely right.

And the child is still burning..........................................

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
It's rubbish isn't it. 90% of abuse to children happens within their own families, including sexual abuse. Paedophilia is actually quite rare, but society has decided that children are in far greater danger now than they were when we were kids, so all these rules have to apply.

As usual, it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

A lot of abuse does happen within families, true. But it's also true that abuse can happen within institutions like schools, sports clubs and the like: anywhere where adults have free rein to be alone with large numbers of children is a potential risk (a small risk, perhaps, but one still worth guarding against). Look at all the scandals that have come out over the years of abuse in schools (mainly private schools, true), childrens' homes, young offenders institutions, and youth sports clubs including football clubs.

I agree that it's sad that one side effect of society's awareness of this, and greater willingness to protect young people from it, has meant a certain amount of safeguarding paranoia which militates against adults showing natural care and affection (especially showing it physically) to youngsters in its care. Perhaps the pendulum will swing back a bit in due course, and we'll get better at distinguishing between genuinely risky situations and more normal ones, but until then, if the price we pay for protecting children from real abuse, is occasional sunburn or fewer cuddles between teachers and children, it's probably on balance a price worth paying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here