Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Stokes charged with affray

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Am I the only one that finds the rush to get someone, who on the video evidence appears capable of high levels of thuggery, to represent his country.

I know there will be the shout of provocation, not guilty until found guilty, but the video don't look good, whatever the provocation!

I hate the idea of sportsmen being held up as role models, as after all they are just human beings, but equally there is a degree of responsibility on their part to make sure they don't get caught up in such incidents.

Except that two guys have now come forward and said that Stokes and Hales were defending them after they were subjected to homophobic abuse and threats. Puts a different slant on things for me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am sure that somebody in the CPS is an Aussie and keeps putting the papers to the bottom of the pile and when we have lost the series decide there is no case to answer.:lolol:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Except that two guys have now come forward and said that Stokes and Hales were defending them after they were subjected to homophobic abuse and threats. Puts a different slant on things for me.

Yep, I am sure there are two sides to a story, but have you seen the video, the two guys were backing away holding their hands up when Stokes lamps one of them and puts him to the floor... the guy Stokes is with is trying to get him to come away, but Stokes even swipes at his m8 - he had quite clearly lost the plot.

The expression reasonable force springs to mind - was it reasonable as the "victims" at this point were offering no threat and attempting to back away and leave? Yes homophobic or for that matter any threats are wrong, but there are ways to deal with it. Was that the right way, an England international brawling and rolling over the floor in a street fight!?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How and why is it taking so long for Somerset Police to make a decision on whether there is sufficient evidence to charge him or not? He was arrested 2 months ago.

Priorities - those child abuse allegations from the 60s and 70s won't sort themselves.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Yep, I am sure there are two sides to a story, but have you seen the video, the two guys were backing away holding their hands up when Stokes lamps one of them and puts him to the floor... the guy Stokes is with is trying to get him to come away, but Stokes even swipes at his m8 - he had quite clearly lost the plot.

The expression reasonable force springs to mind - was it reasonable as the "victims" were offering no threat and attempting to back away and leave? Yes homophobic or for that matter any threats are wrong, but there are ways to deal with it. Was that the right way?

I also saw one of those poor defenceless "offerning no threat" try to bottle him a minute before that. If you try to bottle someone who is unarmed then you deserve to get a kicking. If you are an agressive homophobic on top of that then It does put some more light onto it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Interesting.........does that suggest that the ECB have been given an indication that Stokes is unlikely to face charges?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We should just have picked him, the aussies would have. Why was he selected for the tour if he wasn't going to travel. Or we should have been strong, given him a two game ban and then picked him. That's what the aussies did with Warner when he punched Root in a bar. Either way this endless limbo is ridiculous.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Somerset Police say they have finally finished their investigation and sent the paperts to CPS for their advice. They say this could take some few weeks. Absolutely ridiculous state of affairs.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Where's Edna - she could give a steer on lapsed time for CPS decision - bound to be differences based on circumstances but I guide would be useful ....

Does the CPS decide whether a prosecution has a strong case or is it on police advice?
I believe CPS are less inclined to press if the case is not "robust".

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Just pay the victim a hush hush pay out with a clause to stay silent.

The rest of the country then can look forward to a more competitive ashes series- and even Australia would probably want that as well.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Where's Edna - she could give a steer on lapsed time for CPS decision - bound to be differences based on circumstances but I guide would be useful ....

Does the CPS decide whether a prosecution has a strong case or is it on police advice?
I believe CPS are less inclined to press if the case is not "robust".

They can take weeks to make decisions, yes. They decide on the evidence that's presented to them, as to whether there is a reasonable chance of a successful prosecution: it's nothing to do with police advice. If they feel like there are more enquiries that could be made by the police, they'll refer the file back and ask for such and such to be done before they decide. So, essentially, BG is wrong when he says a local builder would be treated differently.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here