Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Stokes charged with affray

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Minor. Fighting that disturbs the peace. In other words, they all started on each other.

So, serious enough to stop him playing for England until his case is heard? What was Jason Puncheon charged with?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Depends on where the case is heard.

Maximum 6 months and unlimited fine at Magistrates Court, or maximum of 3 years in higher Court

Minor. Fighting that disturbs the peace. In other words, they all started on each other. Public order offence really.

Maximum sentence is 3 years so reasonably serious.

:lol:

And that sums up NSC. 3 different answers to the same question, covering the entire spectrum of seriousness.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
So, serious enough to stop him playing for England until his case is heard? What was Jason Puncheon charged with?

Well, yes. It has to be to maintain all righteousness I suppose.

He's not been charged with any form of assault, which is interesting. Affray is essentially a group of people having a bundle where no-one is singled out for specific charges in relation to the physical outcome.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

He's not been charged with any form of assault, which is interesting. Affray is essentially a group of people having a bundle where no-one is singled out for specific charges in relation to the physical outcome.

Yet Puncheon has been charged with Assault? and was still playing for Palace. Odd.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Any offense that can warrant a 3yr custodial sentence must be considered reasonably serious but that is the maximum and seldom enforced I would expect all 3 to be given fines if found guilty. I wonder how quick it will go to magistrates court for a hearing.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
:lol:

And that sums up NSC. 3 different answers to the same question, covering the entire spectrum of seriousness.

Although using a combined justification of political type, the maximum sentence is three years but the likely outcome-unless there is previous- is a fine and/or possibly a suspended sentence.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008

Very true. If the complainant has suffered the fractured eye socket that has been suggested, then you would imagine he would have been charged with GBH.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Very true. If the complainant has suffered the fractured eye socket that has been suggested, then you would imagine he would have been charged with GBH.

So I'm guessing, and I emphasise guessing, that the complainant was more an accessory to the affray charge and, in fact, chose not to complain at all.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Any offense that can warrant a 3yr custodial sentence must be considered reasonably serious but that is the maximum and seldom enforced I would expect all 3 to be given fines if found guilty. I wonder how quick it will go to magistrates court for a hearing.

Once again you are so far off the mark that the mark is no longer visible.

The starting point for Affray is a custodial sentence (for a first time offender pleading guilty). In terms of seriousness you could consider it similarly to Assault - Actual Bodily Harm.
Aggravating factors include (but are not limited to): Busy public place, Group action, Injuries caused, People actually put in fear, Vulnerable victim(s).
Mitigating factors include (but, again, are not limited to): Provocation, Did not start the trouble, Stopped as soon as the police arrived.

If he's found guilty, the best advice would be "take a toothbrush to the sentencing hearing"

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
if he is charged with affray, sentence if found guilty is transportation to Australia....oh hang on...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Stokes is a shit hole

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

The starting point for Affray is a custodial sentence (for a first time offender pleading guilty). In terms of seriousness you could consider it similarly to Assault - Actual Bodily Harm.
Aggravating factors include (but are not limited to): Busy public place, Group action, Injuries caused, People actually put in fear, Vulnerable victim(s).
Mitigating factors include (but, again, are not limited to): Provocation, Did not start the trouble, Stopped as soon as the police arrived.

If he's found guilty, the best advice would be "take a toothbrush to the sentencing hearing"

In my experience whilst working I knew of many people charged with affray or causing an affray and only knew of one who was sent down and that was due to having a record of previous and most received a fine. Despite what you say it is not generally viewed as serious as ABH, although some magistrates say that without the affray there wouldnt be ABH. So if he goes to prison it will be because of who he is rather than the severity of the offense. As I have said I would expect a hefty fine.

I must point out that I have not been in anyway connected to the law or enforcement and can only comment of experience I have seen with customers etc.

Last edited:

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Putting my personnel hat on it puts the Ecb in a difficult position. If it was one of our executives charged in this way we would absolutely dismiss if found guilty and with the images seen probably the same even if not guilty. It is brand damaging.
So my question is do different rules apply and will Stokes play again on a central contract for England?
I cant see how he will if guilty but unsure on not.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
In my experience whilst working I knew of many people charged with affray or causing an affray and only knew of one who was sent down and that was due to having a record of previous and most received a fine. Despite what you say it is not generally viewed as serious as ABH, although some magistrates say that without the affray there wouldnt be ABH. So if he goes to prison it will be because of who he is rather than the severity of the offense. As I have said I would expect a hefty fine.

When I was a magistrate I dealt with several cases of Affray and ABH. As far as I can remember none received a fine.
Maybe you are referring to cases prior to 1986 when the offence was changed upon the introduction of the Public Order Act ?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Wonder what his bowling form will be like when he returns. Suspect there's a strong chance of seeing affray Ben toss pie.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When I was a magistrate I dealt with several cases of Affray and ABH. As far as I can remember none received a fine.
Maybe you are referring to cases prior to 1986 when the offence was changed upon the introduction of the Public Order Act ?

I would be talking of around 1990s when we had a pub in Guildford and 1995 when in Midhurst so covered the then Guildford and Chichester magistrates courts. It was a very common occurrence when at Guildford but I will bow to your greater knowledge on such matters. The people I talk of will be pleased that they didnt appear in front of you.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

While I understand you have first hand experience & know what you're talking about I can't help but think that this is how the country's prisons have ended up so overcrowded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
While I understand you have first hand experience & know what you're talking about I can't help but think that this is how the country's prisons have ended up so overcrowded

Magistrates and judges have to abide by sentencing guidelines issued by the Sentencing Council. They are designed to provide consistency of sentencing and work fairly well. They define the Starting Point for any offence and for Affray it's custody. That's not to say, though, that the custody cannot be suspended and some requirements imposed such as unpaid work or alcohol/drug treatment.
My gut feeling is that Stokes, if pleading (or found) guilty, will get a suspended sentence with a couple of hundred hours of unpaid work.

As to prison overcrowding, in my opinion, a lot of it is down to drugs and until we, as a society, have a sensible discussion about drugs and include decriminalising as part of the discussion, then we will continue to send addicts to prison for petty crimes committed to feed a habit; I've personally (with a heavy heart but no choice) had to send someone down for shoplifting to feed a habit when really what was needed was treatment to address the addiction.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
He'll be alright just has to spend some of his millions on a solicitor. It's how the justice system works. Maybe do a bit of community work.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here