Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Stokes charged with affray

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This weeks Fighting Talk had a question about psychos in sport.

Eleanor Oldroyd said Stokes was the man.

Apparently Brad Haddin started to sledge Stokes and someone told him to shut up because "Stokes will kill you".

LVGull

May 13, 2016
The guy is an accident waiting to happen after a few jars... bumped into him out and about the same night we beat Australia in the 1st test in Cardiff a couple of years back. He was with Gary Ballance, and Ballance left to go back to the team hotel and literally lumbered Stokes with me and my best mate... you'd think that would be a decent crack but he was all over the show and we just couldn't shake him off. He did get us into Tiger Tiger (lucky us) when they were 'full' but other than that it was a relief to get away from him in the end!

Cool
Story

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
To be fair if I'd gone to Mbargo on a Sunday evening I'd want to punch someone as well :facepalm:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Luckily if Stokes does get to go to Aus there'll be no problems

a) like parts of the Middle East it's a 'dry' country with no easy access to alcohol

b) the on-field rivalry between the two nations is very benign and full of mutual respect; there'll be no winding-up, that's for sure

c) all Australian males aged between 18-35 like a quiet night in and an early night

d) Aussies generally love the English but reserve special affection for our cricketers

No, I really don't see Ben getting into any trouble.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Been selected for the convict tour, very appropriate

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
To be fair if I'd gone to Mbargo on a Sunday evening I'd want to punch someone as well :facepalm:

Showing good local knowledge there.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How and why is it taking so long for Somerset Police to make a decision on whether there is sufficient evidence to charge him or not? He was arrested 2 months ago.
Not unheard of for police to take months gathering evidence and building a case whilst the accused is left in limbo.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I thought that there was a time limit for pressing charages.
Can' t they just find him guilty by default and sentence him to transportation to the colonies for a few weeks.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I thought that there was a time limit for pressing charages.
Can' t they just find him guilty by default and sentence him to transportation to the colonies for a few weeks.
There may well be a limit or guidelines, but it isn't a short one.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
How and why is it taking so long for Somerset Police to make a decision on whether there is sufficient evidence to charge him or not? He was arrested 2 months ago.

Police don’t make a charging decision on something like this. Down to CPS who have quite substantial backlogs. I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes another 6 weeks.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Am I the only one that finds the rush to get someone, who on the video evidence appears capable of high levels of thuggery, to represent his country.

I know there will be the shout of provocation, not guilty until found guilty, but the video don't look good, whatever the provocation!

I hate the idea of sportsmen being held up as role models, as after all they are just human beings, but equally there is a degree of responsibility on their part to make sure they don't get caught up in such incidents.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here