Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Stokes charged with affray

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The trouble with this narrative is that it misses out the fact that one of the queer fellas makes a grab for the “groin area” of one of the Herberts’ later attacked by Stokes.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/B...-told-e78612b9-4a38-4689-98c1-71d4b6579209-ds

In these days of #metoo had Stokes wanted to be the defender of an individual’s right to have a night out without being inapproriately manhandled or groped by a sexual predator he could have meted out a beating to the gayers.

#justsayin

i make you right

This is the allegation from the prosecution, but one of the defence lawyers has already pointed out a flaw in the evidence.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I get that you've been a magistrate and know your stuff. But you didn't ever reply to me earlier on in the thread about the fact that some cases are deemed too complex for magistrates court and are referred to crown because of that.

You said that doesn't happen, but it does. In many cases. I'd be more inclined to believe what you're saying and trust your experience if you hadn't got that bit completely wrong.

I just reread your post and, if you were expecting me to respond then apologies for not doing so.
All I can say is that in my 9 years I never experienced, or heard of, a case being too complex for magistrates. That includes a murder committal I sat on. I'm not so arrogant as to think I know it all though, so I can only speak from my own experience.
I do know that some fraud cases are very complicated and i think some of those are heard by judges alone but without knowing the details of the case(s) you are referring to, I cannot comment.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I just reread your post and, if you were expecting me to respond then apologies for not doing so.
All I can say is that in my 9 years I never experienced, or heard of, a case being too complex for magistrates. That includes a murder committal I sat on. I'm not so arrogant as to think I know it all though, so I can only speak from my own experience.
I do know that some fraud cases are very complicated and i think some of those are heard by judges alone but without knowing the details of the case(s) you are referring to, I cannot comment.

I thought virtually all went through magistrates first, and were then referred depending on the seriousness.......

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Cheers. And the case I'm talking about is a very complicated financial one involving thousands of pages of evidence. So you're right.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This isn't a complicated case - its an unpleasant, unruely, drunken, late night brawl.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
This is the allegation from the prosecution, but one of the defence lawyers has already pointed out a flaw in the evidence.

If the defence are running an alternative view on what the CCTV is showing, I guess that’s an interpretation on the CCTV evidence, as oppose to a flaw.

CCTV footage shows Stokes and Mr Hales catch up with Ali, Hale, Mr Barry and Mr O'Connor as they stand on Queens Road.

Mr Corsellis said it showed Mr Barry touching Ali inappropriately to his groin area, before returning and trying to take his arm.

"Mr Ali responds by pushing Mr Barry away, albeit with no significant force," he told the jury.

He told jurors it would be an issue for them to decide whether the interaction between the men had simply been "banter or something more sinister
".”

I think it’s clear that one of the queer fellas got a bit grabby.........

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Pretty hard to keep with this one. Specifically, who Stokes was trying to stick up for, if indeed he was trying to stick up for anyone at all. Doubt he even knew himself, tho I'm sure it made sense to him at the time. Ginger tosser seemed to be all over the place head-mental.

Stokes appears to be one of those characters that would be a prick when sober, and an even bigger prick when alcohol is added.

Shame as he is a genuinely outstanding cricketer.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was reliably informed, the other day, that apeth was acceptable.

Tben you were wrongly informed unfortunately

Oh, please please don't argue about the spelling! (And I speak as a proud and unrepentant grammar Nazi). I was so pleased to see that expression used, I haven't heard it for ages.

FWIW I think Thunderbolt is right, it's an abbreviation of a slang term (half-penny worth) and there's no OED accepted spelling. Onomatopoeic spellings are acceptable and it's probably regional, i.e. different regions spell it differently.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread, this is possibly worth a thread in it's own right!

EDIT: Don't want to waste another post and derail the thread further but dazzer6666 below is correct! There was a thread on it! Certainly I found this one http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?279715-Daft-Apeth-provenance-query which actually dates from 2013!

Anyway back to the action ...

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Oh, please please don't argue about the spelling! (And I speak as a proud and unrepentant grammar Nazi). I was so pleased to see that expression used, I haven't heard it for ages.

FWIW I think Thunderbolt is right, it's an abbreviation of a slang term (half-penny worth) and there's no OED accepted spelling. Onomatopoeic spellings are acceptable and it's probably regional, i.e. different regions spell it differently.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread, this is possibly worth a thread in it's own right!

We had one a couple of weeks ago. Same conclusion!

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I wonder if Stokes had deliberately denied a batsman his maiden century with the last over of the game, would the uproar have been even worse than this? Makes you think.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I find the most baffling part of this case to be why Stokes was offering inducements to the bouncer for re-entry to a club that was CLOSED.

Am I missing something?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
It was still open for those already inside. Just no new entries or re-entries after 2am, clearly stated on a panel beside the door!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Stokes live in a vast £1.7m mansion.

The last owner, some bloke called Adam Johnson.
Uh-oh, you've done it now, you've triggered [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION]. Prepare to defend your post for the next 30 pages and well into the wee small hours :lolol:
Defend his post against what? :shrug:
Well THPP, you've mentioned me to get my attention, and we've no idea what you're talking about, so can you explain?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I find the most baffling part of this case to be why Stokes was offering inducements to the bouncer for re-entry to a club that was CLOSED.

Am I missing something?

It was still open for those already inside. Just no new entries or re-entries after 2am, clearly stated on a panel beside the door!

Possible that he'd stepped outside for a cigarette and then refused re-entry? Bouncers can be awkward like that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here