Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Stokes charged with affray

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All things currently considered Stokes seems a prize bell-end.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I appreciate this is not a reply to me but my understanding is that all cases start in magistrates and it is “seriousness” which moves It to crown court, not complexity.

There are three classifications of charges, indictable where the defendant appears in the magistrates simply to confirm their name, and then goes to Crown Court for a plea and management hearing. The charges like murder, rape, are indictable.
The next classicification is either way, where the magistrates or District Judge can send the case to Crown Court, or the defendant can elect to be tried by jury.
Finally summary offences which are heard in a magistrates court.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thanks for that. Genuinely interesting. I did jury service a few years ago on a drug smuggling case and it was fascinating to see the English legal system at work, particularly the number of times the jury went out while they argued legal points.

Yes, I found it fascinating as well. I sat in on 3 cases in the end. The first one was the affray where we acquitted him. The second trial was attempted robbery where a guy tried to snatch money from a woman at a cashpoint, but she was a bit feisty and fought him off. He changed his mind and pleaded guilty once the CCTV footage was played, he didn't have a leg to stand on. The third one was ABH, where a woman broke a bottle in a mans face. I was beyond reasonable doubt that she was guilty and that was my verdict, but it was a hung jury so it'll go to a retrial at some point.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The prosecution did admit that one of the men Stokes pasted bottled one of the gay lads.

I’m struggling with this thread a little. It took 2 pages or so yesterday of everyone saying ‘seems like he wasn’t sticking up for the gay lads’ for someone to point out the KEY part of the article you quoted - one of the men Stokes hit BOTTLED one of the gay fellas - so he was surely sticking up for them. Yet all the headlines quote the accusations that he was mocking them which Stokes claims was banter type thing and having a laugh with them. The gay couple’s evidence will be key here - can’t tell a lot from yesterday apart from what way the media are trying to slant it and how many on this thread are falling for it. It may well be the case, but let’s wait and see shall we until we know more :shrug:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’m struggling with this thread a little. It took 2 pages or so yesterday of everyone saying ‘seems like he wasn’t sticking up for the gay lads’ for someone to point out the KEY part of the article you quoted - one of the men Stokes hit BOTTLED one of the gay fellas - so he was surely sticking up for them. Yet all the headlines quote the accusations that he was mocking them which Stokes claims was banter type thing and having a laugh with them. The gay couple’s evidence will be key here - can’t tell a lot from yesterday apart from what way the media are trying to slant it and how many on this thread are falling for it. It may well be the case, but let’s wait and see shall we until we know more :shrug:

Good comment. Yesterday's comments were based on the prosecution line. This is that he was spoiling for a fight. First the bouncer, then winding up the two gay men and finally getting what he wanted after the bottle struck the shoulder. All recorded (maybe not the bouncer). Day 1 obviously more to come..............

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Bang on.

Not sure how such sweeping judgements as seen on this thread can be made when you've only heard from the prosecution.....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The third one was ABH, where a woman broke a bottle in a mans face. I was beyond reasonable doubt that she was guilty and that was my verdict, but it was a hung jury so it'll go to a retrial at some point.

UPDATE

Just googled her. Alex Capone - she was convicted in the retrial, got 2 years, the jury took less than an hour to convict her. We spent 2 days deliberating on that one ! I bloody KNEW she was a wrong-un, her story had more holes in it than Kyle Walkers sock.

The fact that she appears to be holding a large vibrator outside the court is a nice touch.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/16175245.Neighbour_from_hell_jailed_over_bottle_attack/

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Don't be pathetic, pick your side then scream for aquittal and a full apology, or the death penalty!!!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Nightclub bouncer on stand at the minute

On Twitter @mirrorasp is providing a good summary of events thus far.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
UPDATE

Just googled her. Alex Capone - she was convicted in the retrial, got 2 years, the jury took less than an hour to convict her. We spent 2 days deliberating on that one ! I bloody KNEW she was a wrong-un, her story had more holes in it than Kyle Walkers sock.

The fact that she appears to be holding a large vibrator outside the court is a nice touch.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/16175245.Neighbour_from_hell_jailed_over_bottle_attack/

I thought that was just a normal Easy 10 post, but she IS holding a large vibrator and appears to be sticking up her arse in one shot :eek:

And I think you should have found her guilty of Affray as I'm worried for my safety just reading the Argus Article !

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

The trouble with this narrative is that it misses out the fact that one of the queer fellas makes a grab for the “groin area” of one of the Herberts’ later attacked by Stokes.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/B...-told-e78612b9-4a38-4689-98c1-71d4b6579209-ds

In these days of #metoo had Stokes wanted to be the defender of an individual’s right to have a night out without being inapproriately manhandled or groped by a sexual predator he could have meted out a beating to the gayers.

#justsayin

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I thought that was just a normal Easy 10 post, but she IS holding a large vibrator and appears to be sticking up her arse in one shot :eek:

And I think you should have found her guilty of Affray as I'm worried for my safety just reading the Argus Article !

LOL, I wasn't kidding !
She was charged with assault and ABH (not affray). I had her guilty all day long, but not all of the jurors I was with were convinced. I googled her shortly AFTER I sat on the case once it was ended, and clocked her previous. She's got a chargesheet as long as your arm, including spitting in a nurses face in A&E, biting a police officer on the thigh whilst resisting arrest, threatening behaviour towards neighbours. A real charmer.

Anyway, don't want to derail this thread, it just jogged my memory to have a look and see if she'd had the retrial. VERY glad they sent her down, she's an absolute headcase.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
UPDATE

What the actual ****?!?! And there’s no mention of the dildo in the text that I can see :lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I’m fairly speechless at this. **** derailing the thread, I want to know more about the Russian dildo lover :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here