Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Stokes charged with affray

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Evidence under oath in court, where I can see the expression on the witnesses and defendant's face. Sorry for the boring reply.

so you agree that women should not wear a burqua or niqab in court then ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I hope it isn't and if it is, then he follows the letter of the law, rather than base his sentencing (if he is found guilty) on sentencing guidelines, not whether England or Durham need him.
It's very possible, if he's found guilty, he won't be selected again.

well thats ridiculous if it happens.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No such offence. At least not since the 1861 Offences Against the Person Act..

The chap I was talking about committed the offence in 1965/6 and was given 3 years and that is what he told me the charge was. Perthaps he was bull......ng about the charge. I just accepted his word which it would appear was wrong to do. So you could well be right.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Why shouldn't they ?
for the reasons that l
thunderbolt stated , plus it is totally and utterly alien to our culture , some may even find it sinister and frigbtening , anyway thats .me done with you , youre a pillock who wont be happy till youre daughters are wearing headscarves .

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just checking Google it would seem the charge would be Unlawful Act of Manslaughter as opposed to Manslaughter if I am reading it correctly. It is possible that I am further misreading and misinterpreting it. I would agree that there doesnt seem to be a charge of straight uinlawful killing and not even a verdict for a coroner to give without further clarification.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
for the reasons that l
thunderbolt stated , plus it is totally and utterly alien to our culture , some may even find it sinister and frigbtening , anyway thats .me done with you , youre a pillock who wont be happy till youre daughters are wearing headscarves .

What a rude, angry and ignorant man you are. They are women who choose to wear an item of clothing because they feel it is part of their religion. Given that there are over two million muslims in the UK I would say that it IS now part (albeit a small part) of our culture. Personally I don't like it, but I accept it as it is their choice.
As for sinister and frightening, perhaps you need to man up a bit ?

Oh, and I don't have any daughters.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What a rude, angry and ignorant man you are. They are women who choose to wear an item of clothing because they feel it is part of their religion. Given that there are over two million muslims in the UK I would say that it IS now part (albeit a small part) of our culture. Personally I don't like it, but I accept it as it is their choice.
As for sinister and frightening, perhaps you need to man up a bit ?

Oh, and I don't have any daughters.

He has an agenda. I pointed out the article in the Other Stuff actually a niqab rather than a burka, and got the same response. I'm a liberal do gooder because I got on well with my Muslim neighbours in Huddersfield. I also said women choose to wear a niqab so it isn't the symbol of oppression some like to make it out to be.

Anyway back on topic. Lots of evidence still to come.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Have watched the footage leading up to the fight a few times.
It’s a fascinating insight into what these two are actually like, and what I’ve no doubt other pro sportsmen are like.
Regardless of the charge, Stokes comes across as a total c*ck, an old school bully.
Hales is your classic beta male wingman.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
for the reasons that l

What a pathetic, miserable little child you are. And you talk about having served your country? Certainly don't represent it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
With the potential summing up due Monday lunchtime have I missed Kai Barry and William O'Connor describing what happened? If not are they due to give their version of events on Monday? Who will call them the prosecution, the defence for Ali or defence for, flash the cash to get in closed nightclubs,Stokes?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes.

One punch can kill. Someone takes a swing at you, and you punch them in self defence. They fall back on the pavement, hit their head and die.
You are charged with manslaughter. Do you plead guilty, or is it a horrible accident?
The cctv shows the actions but not the motives.

Slightly different circumstances but my former boss stepped in to protect someone from a kicking, got punched himself and something like this happened. Charge was manslaughter (and affray). Very sad.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/frank-mcgarahan-killing-of-a-good-samaritan-1701098.html

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Just watched the CCTV footage of the fight from the beginning and can clearly see some bellend trying to hit people with a bottle, its at this point Stokes gets involved. He probably then takes things a bit far by chasing after the perpetrators and punching them to the ground as they were backing away however as someone who has been bottled myself I say fair play to stokes! If you are prepared to pick something up like a bottle and attempt to use it against someone then you deserve a good pasting.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just watched the CCTV footage of the fight from the beginning and can clearly see some bellend trying to hit people with a bottle, its at this point Stokes gets involved. He probably then takes things a bit far by chasing after the perpetrators and punching them to the ground as they were backing away however as someone who has been bottled myself I say fair play to stokes! If you are prepared to pick something up like a bottle and attempt to use it against someone then you deserve a good pasting.

......and there we have the case for the defence

Horrible story. Very sad as you say.

Terrible shock at the time. Incredible man - never met anyone as capable in all my time in banking. Not someone you’d want to cross either - over a beer one day I’ll bore you with some of the meetings we had..........

LVGull

May 13, 2016

Once you see red it’s difficult to come under control. Especially when someone has a bottle. I’m with Stokes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here