Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast
    Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by happypig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope. Complexity doesn't come into it other than if there is a specific point of law but in that case a bench of three will always have a legal advisor who is a qualified solicitor or barrister (A DJ is a qualified solicitor in his/her own right).

On the second point, there is some anecdotal evidence that juries are reluctant to convict in certain cases due to the perceived harshness of the punishment compared to the nature of the offence (for example an 18 year old bloke pinches a 17 year old girl's bum in a nightclub for a laugh, technically that's indecent assault and so, if convicted, he faces going on the Sex Offenders Register; a jury might think this too onerous and find him not guilty)
    You can say "nope" but seeing as I have personal experience of exactly that happening then I'll have to disagree. Unless one of the best solicitors in the country was giving duff advice and the magistrate involved was a liar of course. Who knows?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by CHAPPERS View Post
      I think I'm probably being a bit thick here but surely the video evidence is pretty conclusive.
      Self defence from what i saw
      Technocrat

1 Not allowed!
      Petty sure he's claiming self defense. The bloke he punched did try and bottle him.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Joining up with the England team in NZ.

Ben Stokes will join the England squad in New Zealand after appearing at Bristol Magistrates Court on Tuesday on a charge of affray.

The first hearing of Stokes' trial is scheduled for Monday, 12 March at Bristol Crown Court, although he is not required to return to the UK to attend it.

Stokes, who missed the recent Ashes series which hosts Australia won 4-0, will arrive in Hamilton in Friday, where England face the Black Caps on Sunday.

However, an England and Wales Cricket Board statement said Stokes "is not currently being considered" for the ongoing T20 tri-series, which ends on 21 February.

England then play five one-day internationals and two Tests against New Zealand.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      The report I read said about Stokes and the other 2 sent for trial and the defence will be that it was in self defence. I assume that is Stokes as they cant all claim that.
      Staring at the rude boys happypig's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      The report I read said about Stokes and the other 2 sent for trial and the defence will be that it was in self defence. I assume that is Stokes as they cant all claim that.
      Why not ?
      "Nibbled to death by an okapi..."
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by happypig View Post
      Why not ?
      Somebody has to initiate an attack either Stokes attacks and they defend themselves or they attack and Stokes defends himself. they can all say it but cant all be correct.

0 Not allowed!
      England cricketer Ben Stokes denies affray charge - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-43370325

Trial date set for Monday 6th August, which is the day after the 5th day of the 1st Test against India at Edgbaston. The 2nd Test at Lord's starts on Thursday 9th.
      Each to his choice, and I rejoice the lot has fallen to me
      In a fair ground-in a fair ground -
      Yea, Sussex by the sea!
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      I know it is the prosecution but the complete opposite of what was reported appears to be coming out in court today. Saying that Ben Stokes was the aggressor, flicked cigarettes at the gay couple and mocked them. I thought he was meant to have been sticking up for them?
      900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help.
      Steve Parish - CPFC2010
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Springal View Post
      I know it is the prosecution but the complete opposite of what was reported appears to be coming out in court today. Saying that Ben Stokes was the aggressor, flicked cigarettes at the gay couple and mocked them. I thought he was meant to have been sticking up for them?
      That's how it was reported from memory. I guess this explains why it's been taken this far, rather than being dropped.