Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Stokes charged with affray

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Must be getting near decision time for the jury.

Is Ben Stokes a Super hero Avenger for homophobic abuse or someone who got carried away in a scrap?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What have the Gay lads said about this Ginger tosser are they vouching for him? The flicking ash at them did not look to friendly tbh.

This is what I've been waiting to hear (dunno, maybe I've missed it). Stokes's defence seems to hinge on his claim that he stepped in and defended Barry and Kai after they were being abused by Ali and Hale, and then acted in self defence when he was threatened with a bottle. So whats Barry and Kai's version of events, have they taken the stand yet ?

Going by the CCTV footage of the brawl, Stokes went WAY beyond "self defence" anyway. Both of them were backing off and didn't look up for a fight at all, so regardless of Stokes's motives leading up to him laying them out, I think he'll have a job convincing a jury that it was all in self defence / defence of the two gay guys.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
This is what I've been waiting to hear (dunno, maybe I've missed it). Stokes's defence seems to hinge on his claim that he stepped in and defended Barry and Kai after they were being abused by Ali and Hale, and then acted in self defence when he was threatened with a bottle. So whats Barry and Kai's version of events, have they taken the stand yet ?

Going by the CCTV footage of the brawl, Stokes went WAY beyond "self defence" anyway. Both of them were backing off and didn't look up for a fight at all, so regardless of Stokes's motives leading up to him laying them out, I think he'll have a job convincing a jury that it was all in self defence / defence of the two gay guys.

They haven't been up yet.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Surprising. I'd have thought the prosecution would've had them up just before or after the testimony from the bouncer.

The guy he lamped is after Stokes. Doesn't say the batting order after that but I'm assuming they must be up at some point unless I missed it as there was an info void yesterday.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"I took the decision for what I did very quickly. As soon as this episode started I knew not just myself but other people could be a target of these two men. He added: "As soon as I decided to get involved, everything I did was under self-defence. I did what I could to keep myself and those around me safe."

:glare:

I find that dubious.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Must be getting near decision time for the jury.

Is Ben Stokes a Super hero Avenger for homophobic abuse or someone who got carried away in a scrap?

Have I missed something here? The jury doesn't go out to make a decision until all the evidence is given. I can only assume you were trying to be witty.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Stokes only started giving evidence late yesterday - there are several days left in this yet I would think (defence witnesses etc etc)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thought the trial was expected to be nearer two weeks.....?

That was my impression. I've no idea whether he'll be found guilty or not guilty, but am prepared to wait until all the evidence is heard, and not base my decision on whether he is ginger, a Kiwi, or lived in the north of England.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As he has no previous, if found guilty my guess is he'll get something like a 2 year suspended sentence and a fine of some sorts.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IF found guilty it will be interesting to see his sentence which way it goes it will be wrong in the eyes of many. I accept it is the wrong basis but if I was the judge I would give him a custodial sentence as a deterrent to others, but suspended for 12 months as we need him in the test team.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
IF found guilty it will be interesting to see his sentence which way it goes it will be wrong in the eyes of many. I accept it is the wrong basis but if I was the judge I would give him a custodial sentence as a deterrent to others, but suspended for 12 months as we need him in the test team.

Thank **** you're not a judge !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
not base my decision on whether he is ginger, a Kiwi, or lived in the north of England.

Out of interest, what additional items will you consider?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I'm not entirely convinced that the judge will take the ECB's urgent needs into account, to be honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here