Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Stokes charged with affray

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I know of many cases with a number of different people where a decison has been made within a few days.

Almost certainly then either (a) they were in custody at the time, which Ben Stokes isn't currently, or (b) it was for the sort of low level offences that police can authorise charge on, rather than referring to the CPS for a decision.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Just pay the victim a hush hush pay out with a clause to stay silent.

The rest of the country then can look forward to a more competitive ashes series- and even Australia would probably want that as well.

The 'victim' was allegedly beaten for allegedly giving homophobic abuse to a couple of guys!
Rightly or wrongly on the attack, if this was indeed the case I don't think the 'victim' should be compensated.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Almost certainly then either (a) they were in custody at the time, which Ben Stokes isn't currently, or (b) it was for the sort of low level offences that police can authorise charge on, rather than referring to the CPS for a decision.

I bow to your greater knowledge on these matters as being a publican we only ever heard a 1 sided view when those charged came into the pub.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I also saw one of those poor defenceless "offerning no threat" try to bottle him a minute before that. If you try to bottle someone who is unarmed then you deserve to get a kicking. If you are an agressive homophobic on top of that then It does put some more light onto it.

Which brings me back to reasonable force. The fight video shows the bottle on the floor then knocked out of sight after 10 seconds, Stokes continues to maraud on for another minute of the video, rolling on the floor wrestling one of the men, and apparently throwing 15 punches in just over a minute - before pole-axing the man who didn't have the bottle.

I am not defending the two men involved, and maybe they did deserve a slap, but I still don't see Stokes behaviour as very becoming of an England international, at whatever sport!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Somerset Police say they have finally finished their investigation and sent the paperts to CPS for their advice. They say this could take some few weeks. Absolutely ridiculous state of affairs.

You can blame the government for cutting back, & cutting back again. There isn't enough staff to deal with the workloads. The CPS has been decimated in the last 5 years.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Which brings me back to reasonable force. The fight video shows the bottle on the floor then knocked out of sight after 10 seconds, Stokes continues to maraud on for another minute of the video, rolling on the floor wrestling one of the men, and apparently throwing 15 punches in just over a minute - before pole-axing the man who didn't have the bottle.

I am not defending the two men involved, and maybe they did deserve a slap, but I still don't see Stokes behaviour as very becoming of an England international, at whatever sport!

What has that to do with whether or not he should be charged with any offence.

If he is found guilty he will be duly punished if not he should be playing cricket for us in Australia.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Whether he is charged or not is exactly my point... do you really think we would be having this conversation if it didn't happen before an Ashes series we are so desperate to win!!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whether he is charged or not is exactly my point... do you really think we would be having this conversation if it didn't happen before an Ashes series we are so desperate to win!!!

We wouldnt no but my point is whether or not his behaviour was a good example as an England international has no baring on any possible charges or otherwise.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
According to todays papers it has now been revealed that one of the 2 'victims' of his assault had serious eye damage which has cast more doubt on him avoiding being charged.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
England cricketer Ben Stokes has been charged with affray over an incident outside a Bristol nightclub.

The disturbance in September left a man with a fractured eye socket and police sent their findings to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) in November.

Stokes missed the Ashes series, with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) saying he would not be considered for England "until further notice".

The 26-year-old has been charged along with two other men.

A statement from the CPS said it received further material in late December.

"Following a review of all the available evidence, the CPS has today authorised the police to charge three men with affray in connection with the incident," it said.

"Ben Stokes, 26, Ryan Ali, 28, and Ryan Hale, 26, are all due to appear before Bristol Magistrates' Court on a date to be fixed in relation to this charge."

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
England cricketer Ben Stokes has been charged with affray over an incident outside a Bristol nightclub.

The disturbance in September left a man with a fractured eye socket and police sent their findings to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) in November.

Stokes missed the Ashes series, with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) saying he would not be considered for England "until further notice".

The 26-year-old has been charged along with two other men.

A statement from the CPS said it received further material in late December.

"Following a review of all the available evidence, the CPS has today authorised the police to charge three men with affray in connection with the incident," it said.

"Ben Stokes, 26, Ryan Ali, 28, and Ryan Hale, 26, are all due to appear before Bristol Magistrates' Court on a date to be fixed in relation to this charge."

In the scale of offences, how serious is affray?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
In the scale of offences, how serious is affray?

Minor. Fighting that disturbs the peace. In other words, they all started on each other. Public order offence really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here