Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Changes for Arsenal

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Please please please can we stop referring to Izquerdo as Izzy. FFS.

Can we please stop referring to Izquierdo as Izquerdo :D

I suspect that if Hemed is suspended and Murray is still unfit then CH will use Murphy as the central striker as he did in the Bournemouth away cup game.

Otherwise see an unchanged team

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick

I suspect that if Hemed is suspended and Murray is still unfit then CH will use Murphy as the central striker as he did in the Bournemouth away cup game.

Then Murphy won't touch the ball, I thought he was awful against Bournemouth reserves, not sure how he will cope against Arsenal not good in my opinion.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Not at all convinced by Murphy in that role, would prefer the fella we can call Izzy despite being rusty

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Izzy Brown to take Hemed's place.

No further changes.

I agree for the obvious reason that he can play there, and will be similar to Baldock in the position, so busy and always on the defender's shoulder... PLUS, Izquierdo could replace him 2nd half without too much disruption to the shape as I feel he can play a similar role.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Should the buffoons at the FA ban Hemed I would hope that Murray is fit to start failing that Izzy Brown up front to form a different line of attack would be my choice but I think CH will go with Murphy and perhaps change it later in the game.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I still think Hemed will be ok and the charge will be dismissed, that doesn't mean he couldn't do with a bit of help though.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

That is my massive fear and what I think will happen. I really hope we do try Jose up front though, if not then Brown.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I agree for the obvious reason that he can play there, and will be similar to Baldock in the position, so busy and always on the defender's shoulder... PLUS, Izquierdo could replace him 2nd half without too much disruption to the shape as I feel he can play a similar role.

I'm also in line with this. Brown is a pretty tall lad too, so at least might win the occasional header, which you wouldn't back Knockaert to do really.

Re Knockaert- I thought he was pretty good in the first half on Sunday, not sure he quite deserves any stick. He was less effective in the second, but that's always been the way with him, even last season. Of course he loses his rag at times, but he's actually an incredibly hard working player. There can't be many wingers who chase back to defend as much as he does. No rose tinted spectacles from me: if he's not up to scratch, I'll say so. But I thought he did OK against Newcastle, at least certainly for the first 45.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wonder how much minute detail the referee has to see in order to stop this sort of thing happening. "I saw a bit of a scramble, with players falling over each other, but saw nothing in it" should be sufficient - if he didn't see that, where the f**k was he looking? It seems though, that he has to be able to say, "I specifically saw Hemed's boot land on Yedlin's leg" in order to clear our player. To me, it looked a clear case of a player, off balance, instinctively putting his foot down to avoid falling over, and a ban would be ridiculous. But then, so are the FA.

If they do carry on with their relentless campaign to sanitise (spoil) the game and suspend him, then I'd give Izzy (first half) and Jose 45 minutes each to see how they get on playing as the loan striker in his place.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If we're going to play defensively, we'll need someone with pace to play on the break. Murray isn't that player, and nor is Gross, so for me it has to be Gross and a speedster.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Agree about merits of others but not keen on knocking Knocky at all - he is still by far our most dangerous looking player and I love watching him.

Agreed, Knocky is the ace in our pack and needs freedom to express himself, whether petulance or brilliance.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Agreed, Knocky is the ace in our pack and needs freedom to express himself, whether petulance or brilliance.

This is what it boils down to, he could not kick the ball for 89 minutes and then dribble past 10 players and smash one into the roof of the net in the 90th. I love AK as much as anyone else, but it doesn't mean people shouldn't point out that he has been easily marshalled this season and he hasn't directly contributed anything positive. He's still our most exciting player, but I think he could be in line for a role off the bench all the time he's not really at it when starting.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This is what it boils down to, he could not kick the ball for 89 minutes and then dribble past 10 players and smash one into the roof of the net in the 90th. I love AK as much as anyone else, but it doesn't mean people shouldn't point out that he has been easily marshalled this season and he hasn't directly contributed anything positive. He's still our most exciting player, but I think he could be in line for a role off the bench all the time he's not really at it when starting.

I'd hate to see him on the bench, he's very much a confidence player, however I do get your sentiments, and would be in a maverick managers starting set up 38 games per season, Hughton is quite the opposite from maverick.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
My hunch would be Brown up front.

Although I do wonder if he's tempted to try the 3-4-3 used at Bournemouth again and essentially play with 5 at the back and two sitting midfielders to make us harder to play through.

With the international break coming, and it being somewhat of a free hit in terms of not expecting to get a result, he could perhaps make a few changes to rest anyone with niggles or Bruno who may have to be managed through the season. Wouldn't be shocked if we saw 3 centre backs and Schelotto in at right wing back. Gross and Izquierdo behind Brown perhaps.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I can't believe so many criticising Knockaert inc the OP - way too many Knockers for me! Do some really think CH will change a winning team unless he is forced to?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We won't shuffle the pack to replace TH, one change only Izzy to play up top.

Izzy for first half, Jose for the second half (but obviously keep Izzy on if he's on a hat-trick or something) - gives us a chance to evaluate both our star loanee and our record signing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here