Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] GOSBTS "Going up" or "Stand or Fall"?

GOSBTS What do you sing when the players walk out?

• You can tell them all that we stand or fall

Votes: 301 84.1%
  • And we're going up to win the cup

Votes: 52 14.5%
  • None. I don't sing.

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Sure, it may not seem that important. But I think most people get that it would sound immense if our unique Sussex anthem was belted out with everyone singing the same words rather than one line being an unintelligible mess and ruining the effect.

It still sounds about 1000 times better than "Glad All Over" or that ultra cringeworthy "Hi Ho Sheffield Wednesday" bollocks etc.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I am fùcking calm!!!!

I find it incredible though that despite the shit songs opposing fans sing, the older fans continuing to sing a version that was acceptable in the 70s/80s and 90s are now being called "planks" "idiots" and "divs" by other fans who possibly weren't even alive/going to the match during that era

Awaits "I had a season ticket at Gillingham" line

We sing 'going up' in the stands at every home and away game, so I can't for the life of me understand why you can't sing the original words to the actual song when the players come out. It's beyond obstinate.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Funny thing about Dolphins and Seagulls is that the Seagulls chant has stopped and is now done only by newbies who think they have to. Rarely heard away from home these days.
And before I get shot down, think back five years and how the Seagulls chant would echo around the Amex every few minutes but now it is heard only when a seagull flies by.
'Albion' is the chant now.
Definitely hasn't stopped. It seemed to be resonating well as recently as Sunday.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It still sounds about 1000 times better than "Glad All Over" or that ultra cringeworthy "Hi Ho Sheffield Wednesday" bollocks etc.
I tuned into the start of the Old Firm derby at the weekend partly interested in the incredible passion of the fans. Imagine my surprise when Rangers ran out at Ibrox to a really shit rendition of Tina Turner's "Simply The Best"...

We are very lucky to have Sussex By The Sea.

In WSU, "stand or fall" has clearly established this season as the preferred lyric pre-match and it sounds great. "Going up" was highly relevant last year and muddied the water - this year no such problem.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
8/10 for that one, it certainly made me laugh :lolol:

There's finally a charge the singing police can charge me with "obstructing a song"

Fans having the liberty to sing whatever they want isn't really the point; we expect the team to be united and battle to keep us in the Prem, but meanwhile us fans can't even pull together and sing one proper version of the clubs official flippin' anthem! This is on the premise that "well I've always mumbled going-up to win-the-cup and I refuse to change". Brilliant :clap2:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
8/10 for that one, it certainly made me laugh :lolol:

There's finally a charge the singing police can charge me with "obstructing a song"

Didn't say you were obstructing anything, no idea where you've conjured that up from but 10/10 for doing so.

Honestly couldn't care less what you sing as long you're making some noise, doesn't change my opinion of your reasons being bloody minded.

Fans having the liberty to sing whatever they want isn't really the point; we expect the team to be united and battle to keep us in the Prem, but meanwhile us fans can't even pull together and sing one proper version of the clubs official flippin' anthem! This is on the premise that "well I've always mumbled going-up to win-the-cup and I refuse to change". Brilliant :clap2:

Thank you

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Funny thing about Dolphins and Seagulls is that the Seagulls chant has stopped and is now done only by newbies who think they have to. Rarely heard away from home these days.
And before I get shot down, think back five years and how the Seagulls chant would echo around the Amex every few minutes but now it is heard only when a seagull flies by.
'Albion' is the chant now.

Do you think so? I still hear 'Seagulls, Seagulls' whenever we get a corner - which is when it always used to ring out most loudly (don't know why that was). Maybe we just don't get enough corners now? (or maybe I only hear it in my head...)

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Stand or fall, because that's the words.

Like some of the posters who are trying to give reasons for singing the going up version, i am an old fart too, well, in my 50's anyway, and also grew up with that version, but the words are STAND OR FALL, it's really not that difficult.

I remember going into a library years ago, pre-internet and getting a copy of the original words, mainly because i wanted to know what they were, i wasn't aware until then the age and history of the song. I was reading the words while singing to myself and thinking half of this doesnt even fit, but that was because we were all singing what can only be described as a punk version I.E. too bloody fast!
What did occur to me though, even then, was the words Stand or fall, i just thought that one line is so full od passion and emotion and pride, why the hell are we not singing that, i mentioned it to other mates who went to football with me and everyone agreed, its much much better and so...... We all carried on singing at going up and win the cup punk version. :lol:

So now as i said i'm in my 50's, i wear a footy shirt when i want (because fvck you to anyone who thinks im too old) but especially when Brighton are playing and because of where i live im rarely even there, i drink what i like because i like it, not because its cool or not, but i sing Stand or fall because those are the words and they are words to be proud of, its the oldest football anthem in the U.K. maybe the world. It deserves the respect of being sung properly, at the right tempo, with the right words.

Oh one more thing you should be proud of what your Sussex grandparents fought and died for, i am, and im not even from Sussex.

I beland tae Glesga, dear auld Glesga toon.... Nah, give me stand or fall anytime but especially at the Amex.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It’s on 10ft letters on the back of the north stand, its backed up on the big screens, and it’s the best and most stirring line in the entire anthem. So it takes a curious type of belligerence to persist with the wrong version now. And I speak as a convert – I was a ‘going up to win the cup’ man from our Goldstone days, but that was just out of ignorance because I didn’t know the rousing original line, and because it was just what everyone else was singing. Now I know better, as do the majority, and I LOVE that they turn the music down a tad for the last couple of lines at the Amex so the fans can be heard. Its spine-tingling hearing (well ALMOST) the whole stadium belting that out.

There really isn’t a better anthem in football as far as I’m concerned. And that includes that mawdling scouse tripe YNWA.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
It’s on 10ft letters on the back of the north stand, its backed up on the big screens, and it’s the best and most stirring line in the entire anthem. So it takes a curious type of belligerence to persist with the wrong version now. And I speak as a convert – I was a ‘going up to win the cup’ man from our Goldstone days, but that was just out of ignorance because I didn’t know the rousing original line, and because it was just what everyone else was singing. Now I know better, as do the majority, and I LOVE that they turn the music down a tad for the last couple of lines at the Amex so the fans can be heard. Its spine-tingling hearing (well ALMOST) the whole stadium belting that out. There really isn’t a better anthem in football as far as I’m concerned. And that includes that mawdling scouse tripe YNWA.

Totally agree; I like your comment: "it takes a curious type of belligerence to persist with the wrong version now"

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
As someone who grew up with the Cup version, but prefers the Stand or Fall original words as they are more emotive and make much better sense, I feel well qualified to say that's absolute tosh. How difficult is it, really? One line in a song? And it's even written in massive letters on a screen for the hard of thinking.

Sure, it may not seem that important. But I think most people get that it would sound immense if our unique Sussex anthem was belted out with everyone singing the same words rather than one line being an unintelligible mess and ruining the effect.

I don't think it's difficult, personally, but it's clear some people can't/won't get out of their old habit. They are having some difficulty, for whatever reason. They may even prefer the Cup version, or simply not want to change something that's been ingrained in their mind for years, as I say (that's also what I would regard as a difficulty). Some probably just don't care enough. You make the mistake of applying your own psych to everyone else.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It’s on 10ft letters on the back of the north stand, its backed up on the big screens, and it’s the best and most stirring line in the entire anthem. So it takes a curious type of belligerence to persist with the wrong version now. And I speak as a convert – I was a ‘going up to win the cup’ man from our Goldstone days, but that was just out of ignorance because I didn’t know the rousing original line, and because it was just what everyone else was singing. Now I know better, as do the majority, and I LOVE that they turn the music down a tad for the last couple of lines at the Amex so the fans can be heard. Its spine-tingling hearing (well ALMOST) the whole stadium belting that out.

There really isn’t a better anthem in football as far as I’m concerned. And that includes that mawdling scouse tripe YNWA.

Totally agree; I like your comment: "it takes a curious type of belligerence to persist with the wrong version now"

I don't think it's difficult, personally, but it's clear some people can't/won't get out of their old habit. They are having some difficulty, for whatever reason. They may even prefer the Cup version, or simply not want to change something that's been ingrained in their mind for years, as I say (that's also what I would regard as a difficulty). Some probably just don't care enough. You make the mistake of applying your own psych to everyone else.

I think we just have to let the now very small minority stand there belligerently singing the wrong words whilst the other 26,000+ of us belt out our anthem, there is already a very significant swing towards stand or fall in the WSU this season. Like you am I still puzzled by it but it is a small number.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Stand or Fall for me. It's coming over louder and louder every match too, the up to win the cups are slowly dying out.

Definitely. There is still a noticeable quietening on that line though, as if people are a bit nervous about heartily singing their preferred version.......crap really, should be Stand or Fall, simple.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I grew up on the terraces of the Goldstone and only ever knew "Going Up".
When lyrics went up on the Amex screens at first I thought no one would sing "Stand or Fall" however it is definitely changing and now I understand - it's definitely a change for the better!
Really sounded like the whole Amex sang "Stand or Fall" v Newcastle on Saturday and it was really quite special.
I'd still reserve "Going Up" for Cup matches though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Old school. But I am doing my best to learn the Stan d'Awful thingy, for sake of choral unity.

Nevertheless..

If I catch you bending....

Of course, as I say we will leave you to it, I think the results of the poll and the responses are pretty conclusive.

I know, but 26,000? I'd love it I really would but (and I rarely criticise anything to do with the club) the North Stand is not the wall of noise that those in it think it is, I'm in the north end of the east and there are plenty in that end sitting on their hands and you can't always hear the songs. Despite being in the east I do sing and encourage my young son to (even if they are the wrong words) as I love an atmosphere however it is ultimately up to the individual how they support the club and I don't believe it's up to me (or you) to tell them otherwise. Anyhoo this is my last word on this thread as we are all Albion and I don't see this as a topic to fall out over. I wish you all a pleasant nights sleep

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here