Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] GOSBTS "Going up" or "Stand or Fall"?

GOSBTS What do you sing when the players walk out?

• You can tell them all that we stand or fall

Votes: 301 84.1%
  • And we're going up to win the cup

Votes: 52 14.5%
  • None. I don't sing.

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Do you think so? I still hear 'Seagulls, Seagulls' whenever we get a corner - which is when it always used to ring out most loudly (don't know why that was). Maybe we just don't get enough corners now? (or maybe I only hear it in my head...)

Nope, we still chant Seagulls for corners. Occasionally I hear Oooh it's a corner.

Those that persist in singing going up, should remember it's We're going up, AND we'll win the cup.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I know, but 26,000? I'd love it I really would but (and I rarely criticise anything to do with the club) the North Stand is not the wall of noise that those in it think it is, I'm in the north end of the east and there are plenty in that end sitting on their hands and you can't always hear the songs. Despite being in the east I do sing and encourage my young son to (even if they are the wrong words) as I love an atmosphere however it is ultimately up to the individual how they support the club and I don't believe it's up to me (or you) to tell them otherwise. Anyhoo this is my last word on this thread as we are all Albion and I don't see this as a topic to fall out over. I wish you all a pleasant nights sleep

Fair enough, I wish you no ill either and I apologise for earlier saying the word idiots. It is just my personal belief that it would sound fantastic if all fans were singing from (literally) the same script but neither I or the club can force people to do so even with words on a screen. Shame, but that is just my view.

Indeed. If you're going to sing the wrong words at least sing the right wrong words.

I said it was my last word on this, look, I certainly take this on board and make the effort to sing the correct words in future as the posters on here make a valid point.

Flashback to January 1978 and I know what I heard (despite being only 10) it was "going up to win the cup" even at that young age I knew this was grammatically incorrect and accept it was possibly singers just being lazy/pissed and slurring their words, however an older friend who seemed an authority on this informed me (as mentioned previously) the going up bit was a reference to going up to Wembley (as most people say, I'm going up to London) this for me is how it stayed.

Now I apologise if people don't like that, but that is MY version of events and you can't rewrite the past!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Assuming people do sing the right words as big a problem is the speed!

[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Also we wouldn't be having this discussion if we'd stick to the Rocky theme........ see Mike Bamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I said it was my last word on this, look, I certainly take this on board and make the effort to sing the correct words in future as the posters on here make a valid point.

Flashback to January 1978 and I know what I heard (despite being only 10) it was "going up to win the cup" even at that young age I knew this was grammatically incorrect and accept it was possibly singers just being lazy/pissed and slurring their words, however an older friend who seemed an authority on this informed me (as mentioned previously) the going up bit was a reference to going up to Wembley (as most people say, I'm going up to London) this for me is how it stayed.

Now I apologise if people don't like that, but that is MY version of events and you can't rewrite the past!
Indeed you can't, and obviously I can't gainsay your own memories. However I went to nearly every game, home and away, in that era and I never once heard anybody sing anything other that 'Going up and we'll win the Cup". Never, never never. I remember May 1983 with people singing quite pointedly "Going up TO win the Cup", and emphasising the 'TO' as for that one single day (ok and the replay) it actually made sense. (Referring to going up to London as you say). That was the first time I ever heard it , and indeed on those two days I think I sang it myself.

I've spent that last 30-odd years trying to re-establish the right wrong words! Given up now though in favour of 'Stand or fall'

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Have just got a new iPhone does anybody know where I can find gosbts for a ringtone. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
'And we're going up to stand or fall for sussex by the sea' or some other hybrid.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Shall we have a whip round for a new banner in the North. Take down Stand or Fall ( imperios phrase) and replace it with the Junior School chant of, We're going up to win the Cup. :ffsparr:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Stand or fall for when players come out or if it's sung slowly - up to win the cup in a mid-game situation is the norm I thought...

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
League matches: SoF
Cup matches: Cup!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Trouble is, after so many years of ‘going up and we’ll win the cup’ I find it awkward singing ‘tell them all that we stand or fall’, I’m having a good go at it though. I blame the knobs on the North Stand (Goldstone) for indoctrinating me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here