Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “It was deafening at times”

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Saw Bruno out and about in Hove yesterday; he said the atmosphere was amazing on the pitch for the Newcastle match and really inspires the team.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think the atmosphere at the Amex has got a huge boost just from the fact that we know we are going to have to punch above our weight to stay in this league, so every single game, every single point, is just massive. There’s a real “backs to the wall” feeling about this season, we’re literally WILLING that team across the line when we’ve been hanging on for the points in those last two games. It leads to a truly febrile atmosphere in the stadium. The final whistle against WBA and even moreso Newcastle was greeted with a roar that was almost like a goal.

I’m not surprised others are noticing what a cauldron of noise the Amex has become. We haven't yet hit the Sheffield Wednesday levels of noise yet though (frankly, I'm not sure if we ever will, that was just ridiculous).

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I’m not surprised others are noticing what a cauldron of noise the Amex has become. We haven't yet hit the Sheffield Wednesday levels of noise yet though (frankly, I'm not sure if we ever will, that was just ridiculous).

The hairs on my neck still stand up when i recall the atmosphere at the Sheff Weds game. That was just amazing.

Absolutely insane, that was. Like nothing I've ever experienced, anywhere.

http://www.northstandchat.com/conte...ield-Wednesday-Play-off-semi-final-16-05-2016

The Amex was alive – a crowd to a man, determined that if it wasn’t to be, we’d go down fighting. The deafening PA blared The Great Escape. The teams came out to 28,000 blue and white flags waving – to ‘Sussex by the Sea’ positively bellowed out, like rarely before. The artificial noise of the PA gave way to the organic roars as the game kicked off.

The referee might have fired a starter’s pistol, rather than blowing on his whistle – such was the intent with which the Albion flew at a startled Wednesday. What was to follow in the next 25 minutes was simply unbelievable. It felt like there were 15 men attacking the Owls’ goal. Within two minutes, a dream start was denied only by desperate last ditch blocks. Chance after chance after chance. Knockaert, Wilson and Baldock tearing at the Wednesday back line who looked utterly shell-shocked – early bookings for two – resorting to stopping the tide by any means.

The noise was incredible. Unprecedented. So loud. The Wednesday fans were seemingly singing – at least they were jumping about and their mouths were open – but they might as well have been miming – they were on mute.

Knockaert was a man possessed – a man intent on turning this tie round by himself. On another, luckier, day he’d have achieved it. He was everywhere – down the line – into the box – at the full backs – the centre backs. He missed a big, big chance with a far post, close range header, it should be said, but we’ll forgive him that.

A series of free kicks on the edge of the box, as in turn the Frenchman, then Kayal, then Skalak, were crudely brought down. Knockaert stepped up – curled it over the wall and surely IN!? - 28,000 roars to aaahhs, as the ball defied the laws of physics – striking the inside of the right post, before somehow flying along the goal-line and out past the left post.

The next, from the same spot – as he looked to line up the same top corner – the wall jumped to block – only for Knockaert to cleverly side-foot it under their feet. A little more pace and it would have been in, but (the excellent) Westwood scrambled across in time – puffing out his cheeks as he lay clutching the ball.

The onslaught was constant – Wednesday, rabbits in the Albion headlamps, had barely touched the ball, as pressure rained down on them. Surely, they’d crack? Baldock turned his man on the edge, shot first time, excellent tip over from Westwood.

Another desperate lunge, another free kick, down the side of the box. Knockaert swung it in at pace – Bruno got the tiniest flick on with his bald head – and finally - finally it’s in! Lewis Dunk from a couple of feet out, volleying into the roof of the net. An absolute explosion of noise. The Amex erupted. Belief poured from the stands – not that we COULD pull this off – but that it WAS going to happen. At that moment it felt like we were unstoppable – I for one felt it with absolutely certainty.

The Albion continued to sweep forward. Owls’ fans silenced. The North chanted “You’re shitting your pants, you’re shitting you’re pants, Sheffield Wednesday…” And they absolutely were.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think the atmosphere at the Amex has got a huge boost just from the fact that we know we are going to have to punch above our weight to stay in this league, so every single game, every single point, is just massive. There’s a real “backs to the wall” feeling about this season, we’re literally WILLING that team across the line when we’ve been hanging on for the points in those last two games. It leads to a truly febrile atmosphere in the stadium. The final whistle against WBA and even moreso Newcastle was greeted with a roar that was almost like a goal.

Spot on. You could really sense it on sunday. The crowd were doing their bit to get the team to the final whistle. I think that is also why the number early leavers was significantly lower too. That last five minutes was something special.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
No it wasn't.

Oh yes it was , why would Iie ? It's had a great atmosphere recently certainly better than chelseas , but until.recently it didn't , it was very quiet , I'm sorry but that's the truth.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I went to Newcastle for the first time last season. Result (and performance) aside, I loved it. OK, the away fans' location approximately 4000ft above sea level isn't the best, but as a city, it's a great match day experience. A proper football town. Most clubs these days either play in new stadia located on the edge of town (like us) or in the middle of industrial estates or retail parks, or are in bigger cities with more than one team and thus divided loyalties. When I got to Newcastle last season I was really struck by the city centre buzz surrounding the game. The ground towers over the city like a great cathedral, and because it's pretty central (unlike, say, Anfield, or Old Trafford), there are football fans wandering around everywhere in their shirts. And there are loads of great pubs nearby. I can't think of another place I've been to that has that sort of match day buzz around. If I can, I'll definitely go back this season (and hopefully not drive this time).

Can't quite agree on the atmosphere front inside the stadium- though perhaps given The Fish's post about not being able to hear away fans due to their position, perhaps the same is true in reverse: that you can't hear the Gallowgate end from up there.

Either way, if you've not been previously: go. It ticks a lot of match day experience boxes.

Partly where the fans are, partly the deliberately stern stewarding, partly too many day-trippers/stag dos etc. and partly years of pretty underwhelming football on display. We're at our best when we're over-achieving. Going into games as the underdog and either seeing our team defy the odds, or manfully trying to resist the inevitable. We're not great when we're muddling along, or the favourites to win.

The best atmospheres I can remember were the years under Keegan and Robson, not just because we played some great football, but the teams never gave up, they had likeable players in them, and likeable managers on the touchline. Not the same under Dalglish, Gullit, Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Kinnear or McClaren or Pardew.

I remember singing a staccato "Toon Toon Black and White Army" for what felt like 20 minutes for a game against Watford in Robson's first season, urging the team to a hard fought single goal victory. It was tribal, it was almost religious. Whenever their 'keeper pulled off another save the rhythm persisted, defiantly.

Or the noise as Andy Griffin (of all people) scored past Buffon to grab the winner against Juventus in the Champions League. The 5-0 over Man Utd, Bellamy's equaliser against Sunderland in 01/02, and (apologies) but the noise when the news filtered through about sealing the Championship title again.

We can be loud, but to really get the most out of the crowd we need to move the away fans, keep our likeable players, our likeable manager and remain the underdog for whatever goal we're chasing. Be it safety this year, or midtable in a few seasons.

Agreed.

Accepting a lot of the widespread fans are genuine Geordie diaspora, as [MENTION=35039]The Fish[/MENTION] suggests, they've also long been a fairly 'cool' team to follow (and NOT as per Liverpool / United, GLORY hunting as such).

Personally I know four Toon fans, one from Gateshead, and one from Seaton Delaval, but the other two from Sussex and county Kilkenny!

All stems from the flair signings of Mirandinha and Solano I reckon!

Seaton Delaval? Hah, I'm originally from Seaton Sluice and went to the high school in Delaval about 20yrs ago. Small world, Depending on their age, I might know your mate! I appreciate these place names are going to sound ****ing weird to anyone not from the area. Delaval was the french family that settled in Northumberland after the Norman conquest. "Sluice" pertains to the sluice gate that was used on the salt pans in the little harbour. The Delavals were mental, one of them bet he could build a castle within a day, which he did (dishonestly) and the ruins remain as "Starlight Castle" in woods near to the beautiful Seaton Delaval Hall. They used to host parties and drag their guests into servants passages behind walls, just to **** with the other guests who would panic as more and more of their friends disappeared.

It's about 10 miles North East from Newcastle, but it's worth a visit if for no other reason than having an ice cream from Arrichi's (from Delaval Hall) on the beautiful beach. (Or the massive fish and chips from Gill's chippy)

No I don't work for the local tourist board, but I ****ing should.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Seaton Delaval? Hah, I'm originally from Seaton Sluice and went to the high school in Delaval about 20yrs ago. Small world, Depending on their age, I might know your mate!

You probably missed him at school by 7 years or so. He's 46 now. Name of Middleton :thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oh yes it was , why would Iie ? It's had a great atmosphere recently certainly better than chelseas , but until.recently it didn't , it was very quiet , I'm sorry but that's the truth.

Just have to agree to disagree. Have been to many away grounds and very few have I thought were louder than Albion's home support, and MANY are quieter. We're definitely one of the better sides for home atmosphere, as lots of neutrals have commented for quite a while now.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I too went to Newcastle last season - warm and sunny to boot! I agree with everything you've said and found the Geordie fans very friendly before and after the game. A case in point - after the game I went to the Mile Castle (a huge 'Spoons pub near the station). At the the time I was still wearing my Albion shirt. At the entrance there were about ten bouncers (don't forget it was Saturday night on the Toon!). After a bit of friendly banter they let me in and was immediately surrounded by Geordie fans wishing me and the Albion well, basically stating,even that early in the season, that they wanted US to be promoted with themselves. A wish come true!
Why? They all love Chris Hughton and have not forgotten his contribution in getting Newcastle promoted or the manner of his departure. To a man they all hate Mike Ashley.

So,yes, apart from the result, probably my best away day (weekend!) experience of all. If you get the chance, do it.

Same, went to the away game apart from the result it was great day out. Love the fact the Stadium is smack bang in the middle of town and the buzz before game is great. Really friendly locals and not at all up themselves. Had no issues with them winning the title and was pleased it was us and them that got the auto places. Recommended away game if people can get the tickets,it's a good experience. Just beware the number of stairs to get to the way end makes WSU seem like a stroll. Great view though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Saw Bruno out and about in Hove yesterday; he said the atmosphere was amazing on the pitch for the Newcastle match and really inspires the team.
Was he just walking around like our resident Scottish drunk, saying it to anyone who'd listen?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We've had some quiet games, but generally it's been ok for years, with a good atmosphere often. It's rarely been 'seriously quiet' IMO.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Same, went to the away game apart from the result it was great day out. Love the fact the Stadium is smack bang in the middle of town and the buzz before game is great. Really friendly locals and not at all up themselves. Had no issues with them winning the title and was pleased it was us and them that got the auto places. Recommended away game if people can get the tickets,it's a good experience. Just beware the number of stairs to get to the way end makes WSU seem like a stroll. Great view though.

I may be wrong but I think the away bit has been shifted ..something to do with new premiership rules?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here