Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I saw Dale Stephens today realise his potential

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Does give away a lot of fouls this season, but I'm guessing his role has changed a bit and that's going to be a natural result. I think one of his strengths is he can be flexible in any style of CM role

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Thierry Henry picked Stephens out as our key man pre match. Very important player to us.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Yes because he was sleeping. Definitely got better as the game went on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked like he was staying tight to Davis then closed Boufal down, who is a very good player and can draw fouls just like Knockaert does for us. Can't say it looked like he was sleeping, in fact there was only one player sleeping for the goal we conceded and most people (including me) gave him MotM.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Looked like he was staying tight to Davis then closed Boufal down, who is a very good player and can draw fouls just like Knockaert does for us. Can't say it looked like he was sleeping, in fact there was only one player sleeping for the goal we conceded and most people (including me) gave him MotM.

Yep gross let davis go for the goal. Basics. Hopefully he wont do that again

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Really liked Stephens yesterday. Even allowing for the occasional lapse I think he looked quality and was orchestrating much of our play. My MoM.

Bumped into another Albion fan this morning who didn't rate him at all! All about opinions I guess ...

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Really liked Stephens yesterday. Even allowing for the occasional lapse I think he looked quality and was orchestrating much of our play. My MoM.

Bumped into another Albion fan this morning who didn't rate him at all! All about opinions I guess ...

I thoroughly enjoyed his performance, he seems to have added some technical flair to his game which I guess is coming with confidence. I love how hard he tackles and how comfortable he looks in the ball, him and Pröpper have got a nice partnership going on.

Regarding the free kick, I don’t personally see that as a foul, and if Knockaert did the same thing I’d be disappointed.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For me Stephens has taken the longest of our previously held players to adapt, possibly alongside Bruno. Dunk, Duffy and March stepped up pretty much straightaway, Hemed, Murray and Bong have done so and Knockaert did against Everton. Still got my concerns about him at this level but he's improved from where he was at the start of the season undoubtedly.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
For me Stephens has taken the longest of our previously held players to adapt, possibly alongside Bruno. Dunk, Duffy and March stepped up pretty much straightaway, Hemed, Murray and Bong have done so and Knockaert did against Everton. Still got my concerns about him at this level but he's improved from where he was at the start of the season undoubtedly.

Bruno....honestly ?... I cant remember a bad game he has had ? other than the stupid incident against Everton he has been excellent.

As for Stephens.... again i am just not seeing what you are, hes done very well.

I cant think of anyone who has looked out of there depth so far. Certainly no one who i am concerned about when i see them on the team sheet.

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
I thought Stephens was class on Sunday and the best midfielder on the pitch. Interesting that on watching the recording that Thiery Henry has Stephens as the Albion player who has impressed him the most this season. Said he does everything that you want from a defensive midfielder.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ray Houghton, on his first visit to the Amex yesterday, in his commentary thought Stephens was an excellent all round PL quality midfielder.

He commented that DS is better than he thinks his and should push forward to utilise his attacking abilities too.

But my guess is that CH want DS and DP to stay disiplined in protecting the back 4, which shows in the Albion's great defensive record.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bruno....honestly ?... I cant remember a bad game he has had ? other than the stupid incident against Everton he has been excellent.

As for Stephens.... again i am just not seeing what you are, hes done very well.

I cant think of anyone who has looked out of there depth so far. Certainly no one who i am concerned about when i see them on the team sheet.

The first half at Watford was far from Bruno's finest hour!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I will keep it short because I am a massive Dale Stephens fan. Prior to today I had been worried that he hadn't stepped up that level that I was sure he could do.

After watching him today. He is definitely at home at this level

He was good again against Soton. But Davie Propper is fast becoming as good if not better. Once this lot all play well on the same day this will be a damned good side

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

All opinions. When you are playing two banks of 4, and the midfield effectively drop back on to the toes of the CBs, and then don’t react to what is in front of them, it’s sleeping for me.

Admittedly all split second stuff but that’s the level we’re now at. Thought he was not in the game at the start. It was a foul (just).

Yes Gross didn’t react at all, thought his (Gross) set piece delivery wasn’t as good as it had been either, so much so Knockaert started taking more.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here